the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ground Q/A sticky

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

clubfed11, you either have a bad fuse (known to happen) or a bad ground on the amp.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
septicdeath 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  

I've had the AVIC N1, 2 of them, and now the newer AVH-P6600DVD and all three systems have had a higher than normal noise issues in various installations.  Im not sure if this is just my problem or a pioneer thing.

Real quick, I remember the old school +12v "noise supressors" and how crappy they worked. But could someone shed information on some of the newer inline line level rca filters and what you sacrifice for using them? Also a brand recomendation. As you read bellow, I may take the easy way out if the disadvantages are nominal. I have ONE huge install with wires going everywhere.

I'm going to try to start to explain my system and how it all hooks up, so I'll give it my best shot and reply with more info ad this story unfolds. But in a quick nutshell its got 5 different a/v output devices PLUS a mini-itx computer running Windows XP) and ALOT of equipment normally not used in a car install, lots of DC-DC regulating power supplys that regulate the +11-+14 volt car power for the extermly stable +12v a computer motherboard/hard drives require, add-on battery banks to let the PC survive engine starts/cranks, +12v, +5volt, +3volt PC devices, USB cables all over, RF recievers for computer controllers/keyboards, this all integrated with the p6600DVD with its pioneer av-ip busDVD Changer, tv tuner, and remote a/v switchbox to take all the above plus a xbox, PS2, Direct TV/In motion Satellite, and allow it to feed into the 6600DVD's 1 a/v input(YES ONE, A/V INPUT) as well as output the video to 5 monitors and 1 true VGA monitor with touchscreen. All audio feeds feed into the 6600DVD which feeds into a memphis audio 4band (7volt preouts) into 5 diffrent memphis audio amps NOT grounded in the same area. To make it even more of  apain in the ass, there are 3 Optima batteries all in diffrent areas (had to fit them where I could) all grounded at diffrent frame locations. So you can see I am going to need some help. I'm not trying to take the easy way out, but I've got well over 15 devices grounded at various points to dc-dc convertors and old style frame welds.

The power 0/1 from the front battery was all run driver side meeting in the center (right behind the rear seat on enclosure box at a 10 farad cap/power distribution center where 2 more 0/1 +12volt also meet from each 0/1 routed from the left and right rear corners of the expeditions rear area behind the body panels, each rear battery is 0/1 grounded by 6" length and welded to the body right in each corner to the box support beams making up the "structure box" of the suv rear. All 7 pairs of RCA's between output devices and the a/v controller and 1 additional return a/v from the 6600dvd to the a/v controllerand the 6600DVD's a/v input box are run from the rear door passenger side cutting into the center of the truck under carpet and feed up into the 6600DVD which is actually been glassed into the center console between the front seats (the VGA touch screen is glassed into the the cut and enlarged standard 1.5 din opening supplied for stock radio in the expedition). Then via a single 1meter RCA from the 600DVD to EQ also glassed into the center console, and then 3 pairs of RCA's back directly down the center  at the beginning of the rear of the suv bed, 1 pair feeds into the memphis mojo amp and a 1meter from the pass though of mojo1 to mojo2. The other 2 rca's run up the passenger side behind the plastic body where they are split into 2 pairs of rca's for input into 2 amps running the highs, 2 pairs of rca's for input into 2 amps running mids, 2 pairs of rca's for input into 2 amps running midbass (4 doors all with tweets, 6.5 mids, and 8" solobarics for midbass). I wont really talk about the USB hard drives (+12v and +5v), PC USB XM radio (+5v), PC USB GPS(+5v), RF wireless Mouse type remote control (controlls apps as well as mouse) and the DC-DC regulation power subsytem until I get further into this (by the way, originally the PC feed directly into the amps via a external DSP with NO noise, but for better system control and utilization of all the Pioneer gear/Game machine/Satellite TV I needed to break this feed method and send everything to the A/V controller and then to the 6600DV HU as a composite RCA+Video connection. BTW , ALL interconnects are Stinger Dream Series Interconnects.

Well thats enough for now. What was that original question, ohh ya, due the inline low level rca noside filters work or not, and if any are better than others, which are they? Any suggestions on where to start, I guess it must be with the plugs, also my eq has a dual input, nothing is hooked to input #2. When I push input 2 the noise is decreased by 70% but still present, when input#1 its there. Only with car on. Ohh ya, the truck also has a 250amp ohio altenator hooked with dual 0 guage to the first battery, and NO isolater is used, all wired postitve to positve to positve (really all bat positives goto the +12 rail of the cap/distribution rail).

so some real world experiences would be greatly apperciated. Like I said, I know the questions about this device and that device are going to start, as I get on my knees and beg for help and sanity.

Thanks

SepticDeath 

larkster wrote:

Help please

94 gmc truck, put pioneer avic n1 and directed extreme 1500x and 4600x upgraded the 4/6 speakers.  I have a nasty alt noise. checked the resistance between deck ground and amp ground it  is 1.1 ohm. i ran the power wire down the passanger side and the rca and speaker leads down the driver side. to try to eliminate the noise i have ran new rcas over the seats, grounded the sheild on the rcas ran a ground and power lead from the battery to the deck and a ground wire from the deck to the amp distribution ground.  i finally made some plugs like everybody was talking about and no noise.

just to make sure i did the plugs right.  attach the two wires in the rca cable together(shield and center?) and hook them to the amp inputs....right?   so that would tell me the pioneer deck has a problem?  If i had another one i would try and switch it out.

please let me know as soon as possible thanks

bigjo911 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

trying to narrow down the problems with the install of my new alpine cda-9835. will a possible poor ground not be letting my infinity amp from getting a strong signal and there for not push much power at all ? power is very low compared to how it was before the install. all amp lights are on and remote switches are all ran.

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
Yes a bad ground can wreak havoc with an amplifiers output. What is the amp powering?
bigjo911 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
2 12" infinity kappa perfects DVC. its a 1300 infinity referance amp. the clarion handled it all fine, could the alpine 9835 be differnt?
forbidden 
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Some of the Alpines do have issues with the output voltage on the sub preouts. I wil ltry and find out if this model is one of them.
bigjo911 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
well i tried that actually, i just jumped a small wire from the ground on the amp to the subwoofer outs on the amp. is that what were talking about ?
forbidden 
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
AHHHHH! dude, stop now. A ground wire is totally different than a negative speaker wire.
whtgp95 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

Okay my question may or may not be related to a ground issue, but that's why I'm on here asking. My problem is when my system turns on. Weather I am turning my key to accessory, on, or when the system goes on after I actually start the car, once the amp turns on I get a big thud out of my subs only. It is a single hit, really quick, but really hard hitting. Does this sound like a ground problem?

whtgp95 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

My question may or may not be related to a ground issue, but that's why I'm on here asking. My problem is when my system turns on. Weather I am turning my key to accessory, on, or when the system goes on after I actually start the car, once the amp turns on I get a big thud out of my subs only. It is a single hit, really quick, but really hard hitting. Does this sound like a ground problem?

Page of 24

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic