'89 240sx, Matrix 3.5 alarm/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SoCalBluetooth 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

mrbean01 wrote:
Umm... I may not know much, but I'm pretty sure my alarm didn't come with a hood pin switch.  It DOES come with a push button remote start, and this is the only unidentified switch I have left.  I'm almost positive that's the remote start button assembly.  Anyone else have an idea?  Am I way off?

There are 3 switches that come with the Matrix 3.5. They are 1. The Valet Pushbutton Switch. 2. The Hood Pin Switch. 3. The Remote Start Bypass Toggle Switch. That's it as far as I know of.

tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Just for clarity's sake-- The above picture IS a hood pin switch.  When hood opens, switch makes contact to ground to trigger alarm.  Hence the negative instant trigger on most alarms.  If it were to have a push button for the remote start, it would kind of be redundent, seeing as how you would have to be in the car to push the button...don'tcha think?  Anyways, I hope everything goes well with the rest of install.  Also, SoCalBluetooth, I have some info on 516L, but i have to unlost it.  I will try and get it out later today.
If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!
SoCalBluetooth 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

Also, SoCalBluetooth, I have some info on 516L, but i have to unlost it.  I will try and get it out later today.[/QUOTE wrote:
]

All Right! Someone with some info! It's really wierd, sometimes the 516L will announce it is getting ready to

All Right! Someone with some info! It's really wierd, sometimes the 516L will announce it is getting ready to start but then will not announce it is running in remote valet mode. I have yet to figure out why it works sometimes and other times it does not. The only thing I can think of is that there is a ground issue related to the starter kill circuit but I have the diode installed as called out for in the install instructions.

The other thing is sometimes when I have the alarm disabled the 516L will announce a intruder alert when I open a door. The remote indicates the alarm is unlocked but I go ahead and send a unlock command again and the 516L resets and no intruder announcements after that.

I know it must be something simple but I keep missing it.

mrbean01 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  

Ahh... So I WAS way off!  '89 240sx, Matrix 3.5 alarm/remote start  - Page 2 -- posted image.

So... How/where do I hook this bad boy up?  And what is the instruction manual talking about when it refers to the H1/3 WHITE/ BLUE wire on the primary harness which is the "remote start (-) activation input"?  There is a diagram which shows a button hooked up to this wire, so I assumed it to be the unidentified switch (p.18 of the manual, btw).  Is that just some optional switch I have to buy seperately to hook up to this wire?  Thanks for your patience!  I'm at least starting to get the hang of it...

tbirdman74 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  

ok mrbean, first, hood pin goes hmm under hood.  just kidding.  find a spot along edge of fender well that will not get wet and cant be reached from outside that you can drill a hole through the flange around outside edge of hood and screw said switch into hole so that when hood comes closed, it pushes the switch into itself thereby disconnecting the ground from the wire that you will hook to the terminal on end of switch.  That wire will go to your alarm as an instant trigger, of the negative variety.  It does two things, first it triggers alarm if someone opens the hood the thieve you.  Second it disables the remote start when hood is open so that it cannot activate when you or some other dear to you is working under the hood.  Its a win-win for you.

Now onto the other, if I am not mistaken, (I dont have a manual in front of me)  this wht/blu wire you are refering to is for adding extra options to the remote start.  There are some modules on the market called page-start or something like that that are basically a pager that when you call the number from a phone, it triggers them to put out a signal to activate the remote start.  these modules would then hook to this wire and complete the circuit and your car would start.  I have never used one, and really dont see the sense, because if you are so far away that you cant start it with the transmitter and you have to call it, you most likely wont get to it before it shuts off anyway.  The only plausible idea me and my buddies ever had for one is it would be a bet you could always win.  So just tape the wire up and out of the waywith the rest of the harness, and go on about your merry way.  Enjoy.  And we are all starting to get the hang of it.

tbirdman74 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged  

Oh yeah, SoCal, I have yet to uncover the info on 516L, but am still looking.  Will post as soon as i find it.

mrbean01 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  

tbird: Ahhh... That's easy enuff!  I understand drilling!

Just to clarify, the hood sensor wire is the only wire attached to the switch, and when it goes to ground (when button is fully raised and the bottom portion comes in contact with the metallic threaded upper portion)  It prevents remote start and triggers the alarm if armed, right?

As for the wht/blue wire, if I just hooked up a regular 2 wire button switch, with one going to ground, and the other to the wire, it would just be a keyless push button starter, right?

tbirdman74 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged  
Ding Ding Ding  Ladies and Gentlemen we have a Winner!!  Exactly what I tried to say in four hundred words or less about the hood pin switch.  As for the other what you suggest is correct, assuming you are using a normally open-momentary closed push button switch.  I just dont see the sense in it.  Just my opinion, but you know opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one and they all stink.  Glad to be of help.
mrbean01 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I've been spending some time doing research in preparation for intsalling a Clifford Matrix 3.5 responder system into my manual '89 240sx hatch.  I've read many posts on installing remote start in a manual tansmission, and I know the dangers involved.  However, I've found the wiring for the neutral switch in my car.  If I hook up the Matrix's neutral safety toggle to this switch, the remote start should pretty much function as safely as in an automatic, right?

A follow up to this is:  Is there any way to also hook up both the ebrake switch and the neutral switch to the neutral safety toggle so that remote start is only allowed when both the ebrake is up and the shifter is neutral?

Since I'm a newbie to wiring and electronics, detailed directions would be most helpful.  Thanks!

Dutchtouch 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  

My advice is to buy a unit designed for a standard trans.

Save yourself alot of hassle.

Dutch

First Class M.E.C.P. Certified & 310K Licensed
Electronic Installer
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic