icon

What is a suitable sub&amp for me?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
I Dont recall and PG series amps with regulated power supplies. I believe that that is the power that amp delivers into 2 ohms, and for subs you could look at a MTX 7500 or 8500, You could look at a JL W3, you could look at eclipse alluminums, you can look at Boston Pro, this list is pretty much endless for good quality stuff. Do you have any local shops and if you do what do they sell. If we can recomend stuff sold locally then you can go and hear it first then decide for yourself.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

vbel wrote:
I understand that a lot of them are moreless equally good, so I just want to see a list that will do me good and from there I will chose based on price and looks.

Ok, well price and looks are important, but they should always be 2nd and 3rd to sound. Don't buy anything without listening to it first.

Next, I went to PG's website and here's what it says on the variable load: It's not a regulated power suppy, but it does hold power over all loads.

XENON AMPLIFIER SPECS:
Xe.flow™ variable thermal feedback controlled fans
Xe.tune™ 24dB Linkwitz-Riley low pass and subsonic filter
Xe.load™ optimized for any impedance load

What is  a suitable sub&amp for me? - Page 2 -- posted image.

XENON 400.1

----------------------------
• High efficiency (greater than 80%) Class D Operation
• Buffered RCA full range thru output
• Remote Monitoring Display (RMD) port
• Low Pass Level control ready (LPL-44)

400W x 1 (4-1 ohm)

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,It's not the fact that it is a "stereo" or "mono" amp that gives you better power eff.It is what type of amplifier class you have.Class A/B is apporx 46% while Class D is 80%-90%.For your Import I'd look for a class D.No more that 500 watts or you will be needing an upgraded alternator.Try HiFonics.Good luck
BigDog
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
I'll be buying everything off ebay, as I usually do. Already found that amp for like 220 USD, from the same seller who sold me the other PG amp. Shipping though is kind of a rip off...50 bux.
I think that Infinity amp looks pretty good. 350 watts and 94db sensitivity (10 inch) and 96db for a 12 inch. Probably will stick with a 10 inch...don't think these 2db would do much...besides, most of other subs are like in 83-87 db range.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, that is "Infinity sub", not amp.
Where is the edit button any way? ;)
One question about Infinity. Their frequency range is 18-150. Should I look for something higher than 150? That way I could crossover my rear speakers higher than 150 and eliminate all the rattling.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
No not at all.  Chances are that the sub will be crossed over lower than 120hz.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
Hehe, I have an edit button.....
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
Why would I wanna crossover it lower than 120hz? Would it blow by playing lets say something in between 200-500hz?
forbidden 
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
No the sub would not blow by playing at a fequency higher than 120hz. What it would do is take the sub out of the range of frequencies that it was designed to play at. Meaing it will be playing into the realm of midbass. What you hear is generally muddy sound in your bass response. By keeping the frequency range lower on this particular driver and restricting it's range of frequencies by using a crossover, the sub can do what it was designed to do, play sub bass, not midbass or midrange. While there may be applications where a sub like this is used as a midbass, this is not the case in your system.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Also, as the frequency creeps higher you'll start to localize the source easier.  You generally do not want to tell where the bass in a system is coming from if it is coming from somewhere other than your front stage.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic