icon

What is a suitable sub&amp for me?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
How big of a speaker wire is recommended for a 350 rms sub? Is 12 gauge ok?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
12 gauge is fine.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
PopcornPlaya 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

The alpine sub is crap for SQ.  I'd want to say to go with a single 10 IDQ10v2D4 here and clean amp to power it.  Another sub you may want to consder is either a JL 10 W3v2 or a JL 10 W6v2.  Another option would be the new IDMAX 10.  You might also consider going with a pair of 8's.  I like them in a sq setup, especially a pair of JL 8W3's (for the more budget minded consumer).  Or Resonant Engineering 8's or Diamond 8's.  Another company that makes a quality 8 is Treo engineering.  There are bunches of options yu can go with, just make sure you get a good clean amp to power it.  I'd also tend to go with a small sealed enclosure in this type of application.  Ported may be an option though, depending on the sub.  Just make sure to stay away from a bandpass enclosure. 

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

I'll give a vote out for the Image Dynamics 10IDQ10v2 as well.  I have been extremely happy with this subwoofer.  It is easy to power, requires a very small box, has great sq for the price, and gets as loud as I need it to. 

Having said that, if I had to do it over again I'd probably open the pocket a bit more and go for a Brahma 10 from Adire.  I'm also curious about the Koda 10". 

Steven, any chance we can see a frequency response plot for the Koda 10"?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
Ah...I got everything ordered now. The PG 400.1 amp and the Infinity 10 inch sub. Can't wait to see it at my door :)
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
Good deal. Don't get me worng, Image Dynamics makes some good subs, but check this thread.
vbel wrote:
Ah...I got everything ordered now. The PG 400.1 amp and the Infinity 10 inch sub. Can't wait to see it at my door :)
You got the same setup I do, only I have a 12" sub. When your stuff does arrive it does kinda feel like Christmas, doesn't it?
Paul
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, it is definitely Christmas once is arrives :) Only problem is, it will come in like 5 different packages at "no one knows" when time...'cause it's from different ebay sellers. So, I could get all of it sitting there at my floor, and then would have to wait for that crappy power cable to arrive, to make everything work :)
Now, I'm doing some reading about alternators and kind of got scared...what if I'll need that high output alternator?? It is actually a 700 rms watts in total system...so I don't know, I just got my fingers crossed that everything will be fine with the stock alternator, as I just replaced it like a month ago. Oh...good thing I spent $450 (canadian) on those HID lights...they suppose to draw less amps right?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
You'll probably be fine unless you listen at extremely high volumes for long periods of time.  When playing at moderate volumes the amps draw considerably less current than their fuse rating.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
I hope so... My volume max on hu is 40 and I usually play it at 10-15...could turn it up to 20-23 on the highway....with having amp gain set to about 75%. I'll just have to wait and see.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic