icon

amp is dieing out?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lolzitsmtss 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
I have a kicker 1200.1 amp pushing to L7's and as soon as they get to a certain level of power its shuts off. now i dunno if my amp is shuting off or my subs are shuting off? these subs are brand new sent from kicker not even 1hour old. My other 4channel amp is working fine. My subs sound a little weird but still are pumpin. what could be the problem? its only gets to a certain level...(varies on the song).
I guess that guy has subs.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like either your total impedence load is too low for the amp, your input gain is too high for the amp, or you have a wiring problem.   It is also possible either the amp or the subs are defective... but check the impedence load first.  How do you have them wired?
Support the12volt.com
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
1 ohm load
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
one ohm load at the amp or 1 ohm from the speakers...if you are bridging this" 1 ohm load that is a big no no
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
1 ohm from the amp. some songs get much louder then others..if that helps? like some die out at volume 15 and some die out at 20, 25 or even sometimes 30.
djmoose 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

lolzitsmtss wrote:
I have a kicker 1200.1 amp pushing to L7's

Give us the exact ratings of your subs. Are they 4 ohm DVC or 2 ohm DVC? How many drivers do you have? I can't tell if you you have the amp driving TWO L7s or simply sending power TO an undisclosed number of drivers.

How are they wired? Prove that the amp is seeing a 1 Ohm load.

chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
I'm kind of leaning toward incorrect gain setting on this one...  mainly because of when you say "My subs sound a little weird but still are pumpin."
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

I didn't install anything..Since i dont know what the hell im doing i decided to let the pro's handle it. I know a little more from this site but i have many many many years left before i get to Dyohn..Status. I believe they are 2ohm DVC but im no to sure..all i know is that i blew my first two out and now this is happening with the second 2. i had no problem before i put my second amp in for my interior's after 1 week of having both amps in thats when my subs died and now this happened. If i stand right next to the subs while they are on a high volume u can hear like something hitting like a baffle or something. I took it to the pros and they said they dunno what wrong with them..they sound like there defected. when u get into the driver seat and put it up u really cant hear the sound at all so to be they are working fine. its just now they are starting to shut off. My battery guage says its running at 13-14 so its probably not the power. what else could it be? would the Impendence load blow out speakers and cause this? It has happen to me when im running my home receiever to loud it shuts off is it basically the same thing? how do i fix this?

thanx for being so patient.

94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, it must be hard to know everything. Just thought about taking a couple of class's trainings, and major in this area. and start a private car audio/stereo dealer and do it as a career. Thats i suppose how you would know everything.

As for most of us we learn through experience, a "shocking" experience amp is dieing out? -- posted image.

lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

lol yeah im currently 19 and always interested in home audio, and i just got a car maybe a year ago and im showing more and more interest.would be a pretty sweet career  with technology these days

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic