icon

i messed up my car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Claytoncivic 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
OK so i put in a 500 watt amp and a 15" sub in my civic, and i shorted out the switch when i put it in. I drove home to finish the job at my house because we didnt have all the tools we needed, and the head unit worked the whole way home. When we were done with the install the head unit wouldnt come on. I got a new head unit and that doesnt work either, but the stock 92 casset player works in it.
I was wonderin if some one could help me out
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
What do you mean by "shorted out the switch"?  What switch?  Did you check your fuses?
Support the12volt.com
Claytoncivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
When i mounted my switch (to turn on the amp) the back of it grounded out on this peice of metal under my steering wheel and the wire started to burn up. I checked my fuse for the amp and for the receiver and theyre ok.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

You're using what, a toggle switch to turn on your amp?  Why?

In any case, if you had wiring "start to burn up" I suspect at least one fuse somewhere in your car is gone, along with some wiring.  It's time to remove it all and start over with fresh wires.  Are you using a proper wiring harness adapter for your car?

But back to the switch question.  What are you trying to accomplish and why not use the remote-on feature of the HU to activate the amp?

Support the12volt.com
Claytoncivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
Im using the switch because my cousin said that if the cops ever pulled me over for disturbing the peace i could turn it off and say it wasnt me, i think i am using the remote feature, but i dont know because my cousin did most of the wiring. Im not using a wiring kit, im using some wires that i picked up from radio shack, but therye the right ones.
DYohn 
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

Claytoncivic wrote:
Im using the switch because my cousin said that if the cops ever pulled me over for disturbing the peace i could turn it off and say it wasnt me.

Um, no, that never works unless you are dealing with a dumb (or very busy) officer.  If you are busted violating a noise ordinance, you are busted.

Claytoncivic wrote:
i think i am using the remote feature, but i dont know because my cousin did most of the wiring. Im not using a wiring kit, im using some wires that i picked up from radio shack, but therye the right ones.

Sounds like your cousin needs to fix what he did... in any case, "some wiring from Radio Shack" may or may not be the proper kit for your car, and you are crazy to not use the proper kit.  Assuming, that is, that you want it to be done correctly.  If the RS kit is specifically designed for your 92 Civic, then fine use it.  If not, get the Metra 70-1720 and do the job right.

But you'll first have to track down whatever wiring was destroyed by your little fire and replace it, and find any fuses that might be blown and replace those too.  Then start over.

Support the12volt.com
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

*sigh*  No.  He means a wiring harness for your deck.  If you had used a low-level fuse for your switch you would not be having this problem.  How did you run the switch?  Inline with the main power for the amp?  Off the remote turn-on coming out of the deck?  Off the cars turn on wire for the deck?

Besides, this is just a silly idea.  They make you pop your trunk look at you and say, "it was you, and here is your ticket".  On a misdemeanor the burden of proof is usually just your word against his, in which case the cop gets the benefit of the doubt.  Why don’t you just show some civility and turn the thing down when you are in a neighborhood?

flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

I second that....I hate these jerks who drive around my niegborhood at 1:00am on weeknights with thundering bass for no reason.

There is definitly no need for that at 1:00am in a quiet residential nieborhood. Especially since these jerks just sit there idling bumping there cheap 2000 watt kmart system.

I actually made a phone call to the police the other night asking them to simply have a talk with these people and remind them that bass travels much further than than it needs to. I hope they do nab somebody spewing 150 db of bass in a dark wooded suburbon area after midnight and write them a nice ticket. If you're that ignorant...you deserve what you get.

Sorry fellas, if I wanted to hear cheap distorted extra loud bass at all hours of the night, I'd move to Lowell. Maybee you should move there too!

Clayton....you messed up your car man! sorry you had to learn the hard way, but just hang around here for a while, we'll straighten you out!

xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
1am is insane for noise violation. i even have the right mind to turn it down around that time, the noise violation here takes place at 11pm. and they should re-enforce the law as well. for every half hr passed the set time, they should add 25-50$ onto the ticket.
cops cant (i think) give you tickets during the day for loud car stereos, they just give you warnings (like i said, i think).
xTimx
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
I got news for ya Tim. Here in Regina they sure can right you a ticket durring the day time for a noise violation if you are in a residential area and breaking 140db. Its a bylaw in this fair city. The cop from my home town is head of recruiting for the RCMP now and I was talking to him about this before and when he talked to the local cops they told him what I just told you, so you should always be curtious when using your stereo in residential areas. No need to be a sh*t head. Now back to the problem at hand. My O my what have you done to your poor car. Its never a good thing when someone said that the wire started to burn. This is an abvious case where you and your cousin dont know enough about what you are doing to do this install. Im not slamming you I am just pointing out that the lack of knowledge is hindering your ability to do the deed without destroying the machine. I am seriously suggesting that you invest about 100 bucks and get a local chop to install the stuff for you. If you really want to put in a toggle switch I am sure they can do that for you as well. But when I hear about something like this I always suggest you get it done by a pro because you sound like you are in way past your abilities. If however you want to do this yourself then we need to know a couple things as Heavilymedicated pointed out. The first and foremost is what did you put the switch on, main power or ignition wire. Second what "wiring" do you have from Radio Shack. Third, what kinda equipment is it you have. Answer these questions and we can help a whole lot more.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic