icon

i messed up my car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
#1 - Cops CAN DO ANYTHING they don't care about laws... they don't care about rights... I know I live with a LAPD officer... and she's a girl...that 5'5" She doesn't care! She'd write you a ticket for smiling let alone disturbing the peace; and she'll meet you in court.
#2 - Radio Shack.... Gold Mine if you know what your looking for. Otherwise if your installing an amplifier get an "Amp Kit" from a "Stereo Shop".
#3 - Get your car some professional help. More than likely you've burned out something; fuse, amp, radio etc. Let someone go through your car with a multi-meter to find the cause of your problem.
#4 - If you and your cousin do more installs on your car; mount one of those crome fire extinguishers on your A-Pillar Thats very important!
Smokey the Bear says "Only you can prevent forrest fires". -that includes wire forrests.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Claytoncivic 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
To tye up some loose ends, I didnt know what i was doing but my cuz did and i was the one who shorted out the switch like a dumb ass.
1. The switch is conected to the fuse on the power line going to the amp from the battery.
2. I have a 15 inch rockford fostgate and rockford fostgate amp (not sure how much power).
3. Only the stock head unit works, no aftermarket head units work even with smart wires.
4. The dimmer fuse for the lights inside the car poped but that was the only one.
5. The wires from Radio Shack are the right ones to do the job and theyre able to carry the power.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 5:40 AM / IP Logged  
there's a missing link in what you've just described...the stock h/u works, but no aftermarket head units work? how can that be? i'm assuming that you're using the same wires to connect the aftermarket h/u's. there's a definite possibility that those h/u's are cooked.
also, i'm not sure what type of switch you've put in, but if it's on the pwr line going from battery to amp, it better be a very big strong switch. it'd be smarter to put the switch on the remote turn on line instead, because then you'd have the option of using a smaller switch, giving you more flexibility in possible locations.
as for what to do now, first thing is to check all fuses anywhere they can be found, such as in the factory fuse panels in the engine bay, under the dash, and the fuse(s) on the aftermarket h/u's. then make sure that the wiring that you're using for the aftermarket h/u is indeed done correctly and none of the wires are exposed, possibly touching each other or anything else. hope you're handy with a multimeter. good luck!
all problems can be resolved with a hammer
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

Jeeeeeesus.  If it was your cousin’s advice to put the switch "to the fuse on the power line going to the amp from the battery." then i would suggest this individual does not know as much as you think.  Jimmeezgolfvr6 said it right, put the switch on the remote turn on wire.

Test all of your power wires coming from the car.

Double check your hot (12volt) wiring to the deck.

Check your ground.  Some decks need a chassis ground to.

Try a different deck.  Yours may be shot.  Does the deck have a fuse behind the wiring harness?  If so, check that.  Was there any smoke from the deck at any time?  As everyone here knows, electronics run on smoke.  And when you let the smoke out they quit working.

Someone else suggested it, and I second it, or third (whatever the case may be).  You may be in over your head, and if you paid retail for your equipment I would think 100 for installation would not be a bad investment.  Besides, sound like you've already taken the life of one innocent head unit.

flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

I'm assuming you have used the remote wire and shorted you'r 12v+ remote circuit to ground......bad, very bad! Some HUs have a protection circuit, most don't and they stop working entirely, send it in for repair or replace.

Now if you did indeed have it on your high current line, in the steering column....stop right there.

As Ravendarat and others have said, professionals are in business for a reason and you should consider thier assistance until you have a much better grasp on what you're doing. You're lucky you're car didn't burn down with you in in it.

Two things for you: MULTIMETER.....HAYNES OR CHILTONS MANUAL for your car, paperwork which came with your gear too.

READ......yes READ it, specifically the ELECTRICAL SECTION.....and agian, READ, don't be afraid to READ. Also, READ the instructions which come with you're multimeter. It won't hurt to READ things in this site from basic electricity to troubleshooting, to installations. Posts are good too, but look out for bad advice......that usually comes from people who don't READ!

Claytoncivic 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the tips guys, im going to check all the fuses and read up some more, but im probably going to take it to the shop. thanks again.
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

Good luck with it! let us know how it turns out. Yes, have the pros take care of this one for your own good.

10 years ago, I didn't know much about cars or electronics....and now I know more than I care to know sometimes.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
ehh ghad!   PLease take it to a shop before you blow up your car and kill people!
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
If you can even hear a stereo with the windows closed from outside the vehicle, it is probably too loud.  Any level of sound that is too loud to talk over in a normal conversation level is damaging to the ears over an extended time.  If you people value your hearing, you would be wise to keep your sounds at a moderate level, not to mention the "good-neighbor" benefits.

This comes from someone who used to compete in sound competitions where people tried to win trophies for the loudest vehicle.  Isn't it funny that we used hearing protectors when we measured these vehicles?  Actually, in the one competition that our store sponsered, I made up the judging criteria and totally eliminated SPL testing from the contest.  Many headbangers were upset, but I didn't care.
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
heavilymedicate wrote:

As everyone here knows, electronics run on smoke.  And when you let the smoke out they quit working.

Ha Ha, good one!  I like that.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic