icon

subs for durango

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
murphy286 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
It has been awhile since I have been to this site.  I hope ya'll will forgive me, but I need some help.  I have almost everything I need to install my system in my 2000 dodge durango.  I was wondering is there anyway to install two 10" subs in the durango without losing the cargo area in the rear.  My wife and I are avid divers.  We use almost the whole rear area for our diving equipment.  I really want to get the system in, but I'm at a deadlock.  Could I use two 8" and still receive decent bass.  I'm not looking for a bass system, I'm looking for a great sounding system.  I did the measurements and the required volume for my two 10" FUBR (Power Acoustik) subs may not allow me to do this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

You may need to look into very small 10" subs, and they have to perform whell in small enclosures.  Im shure you could fit 1 Adire Brahma 10" and that should be whell enough.

Take some measurements and post them meybe.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

Do you need all the seating in your Durango? do you have a third row seat? Have you seen this: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=39376&get=last

The stealth box aside, you do not need two subs to get very good bottom end.  I have 1 10w3 in my suburban and it is more then adequate.  While we all have a subjective view of how much is enough, no one has every listened to my system and said it needed more bass.  The comments i often get are "balanced" and "smooth".  That one 10 can give a good whack in the chest  and make sh*t in that little cup holder on the dash vibrate all around.   It sounded louder in my wife’s 00' Subaru Legacy, but the cabin in the legacy is about 1/3 the size of the suburban.  If I ever upgraded it would be to a 12", probably a 12w3 v2, alpine type S or Infinity Kappa perfect.  The quality of your subwoofer has allot to do with the output and the quality of bass.

If I was in your situation I would look into getting one 12 and be prepared to feed it near the recommended RMS power rating to milk it for everything you can get.

Ok, there is this:  http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTXDD8T45  Im just not a fan of MTX's low end stuff and I would not personally choose 1 8".

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Doh!  Linked the wrong page earlier, sorry:  http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/durango.html
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
Is money an ( a major) issue? If not a JL 10W6 hits excellent in a nice small sealed box and placed correctly, with adequate power, will be louder and better sounding than many other subs out there.  Durango's have plenty of room so even .75 cuft would not be a major issue.
Will85iroc 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 2000 durango r/t and i have 3 jl audio 10's in a box that fit perfectly behing the 3rd row....  i need my space also cuase i have a wife and twins..... and i also travel alot....       its about 450w which is more than enough for me and hits hard.  just tighted your plate and put some rubber behind it....    i can email u the demensions if u want...   the speakers came with the box so i guess jl designed it for suv's   
" will85iroc "
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

boxmaker85 wrote:
Is money an ( a major) issue? If not a JL 10W6 hits excellent in a nice small sealed box and placed correctly, with adequate power, will be louder and better sounding than many other subs out there.  Durango's have plenty of room so even .75 cuft would not be a major issue.

I would have to agree with boxmaker here...the JLW6 is a good driver and efficient and will perform well in a small sealed box.

Im a fiberglass whore!!
Will85iroc 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
yeah mine hits very hard, i get headaches every day!
" will85iroc "
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Lookin at getting two myself (10w6)  might upgrade to the w7 depends on the financial situation

murphy286 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

Power Acoustik states it's FUBR 10" only requires .5 cubic ft of vol. for a sealed enclosure.  Could I reduce that if I use Polyfill?  Thanks to all for the input.  As for the 3rd row seat, yes I need it.  I have 4 children.  OUCH!!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic