icon

Alpine Type R vs Infinity Perfect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I gotta disagree with the comment "JL usually have better SQ". I have yet to be  to a sq comp where any of the top three cars were running JL. The reason why is because JL subs dont sound natural. Alot of people like the sound of them but most drummers will tell you that a jl sub does not acuratly reproduce the sound of there instruments. Same thihng with a bass guitarist. Note that I said most drummers and Guitarist not all of them. Oh by the way, I would go with infinity
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat is my new hero...all i ever hear around here is jl this jl that blah blah blah...thank you for pointing this fact out to everyone who seems to slap on their kneepads and start doing every one corporate favors when that nasty "j" word comes up...
adamaudio77 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
I hate JL audio!
    **adamaudio77**
+ - + - + - + - + - + -
my DMM is my best friend
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
It's an opinion but look at the facts.  Look at JL's Mini.  A top competetor for sound quality in some major shows.  And no matter what hype something might have about it, if a product sucks then no one buys it (especially those that live for sound).  Not saying they are the best, but JL is definately a top brand in today's car audio (and hopefully home audio) market.
bumpingjeep 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
i wasn't disputing that at all...the only message that i was trying to convey was that everyone were i live thinks that they are "the best"...when they definitely are not...but i still like some of their lines...right now im actually interested in getting two 12w3v2's...the only thing keeping me from doing that is that i don't want to be like everyone else...that and dd's 3500 series...i wanna be loud again...bottom line though is that i respect any company who hasn't whored themselves out for the larger retail stores and are still major players in this fine industry...
bumpingjeep 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

boxmaker85 wrote:
if a product sucks then no one buys it.

if that is even remotely true...then why do dual's jensens...lightning audio...etc...etc...flood the streets...

boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  

True but look at the people that buy it.  Kinda like the kid down the street that has a POS 1985 honda accord and thinks he can race (and hold even) with a '99 prelude or '00 trans am.  It's not going to happen.  So yeah people still buy it but I'm talking about the people that are at competitions or even normal everyday systems that are half decent.  When I first got into the car audio market I thought that JL was definately not the best b/c places like best buy and circuit city didn't carry it.  And if they didn't carry it then it must not be that good right?  Well we all know the answer to that.  I'm still not happy with the select dealers JL has in that if I want to buy a sub there is only one dealer in the city (Savannah).  And this dealer has a monopoly on the place and can charge full msrp if they want (they don't but still). 

Not really arguing either but had to hold up JL's end since noone else was (atleast against newbie adamaudio77).  Alpine Type R vs Infinity Perfect - Page 2 -- posted image.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
I think its no secret that when competing in SQ it requires both good product and a good install, but from my experience the install out weighs the gear. This may sound like I am trying to disprove my stance on JL that I made above but what I am getting at is that JL as a corporation needed to dump 10's of thousands of dollars into a mini cooper to become  a major competitor in the SQ scene. I guess what I am trying to get at is I have scene many JL systems loose to companies like boston, alpine, soundstream and even pioneer all with very similar installs but the gear used out played the JL. Was the Alpine system worth more money, yes, was the boston system as loud as the JL. no, but when it came down to judged sq the JL lost every time. With that said a company like JL isnt around for as long as they have been with out making decent product but I think their sucess is due more to fantastic marketing as opposed to fantastic equipment, just like....................wait for the low blow............................... Bose. And BTW JL isnt in major retailers like Best Buy because they cant produce enough inventory. In 2002 they were approached by Best Buy USA to provide inventory but they backed down saying that they did not want to spend the money on additional manufacturing facilities because if they failed they would go bankrupt. I see it as a very smart move on JL's part because I have always felt JL needs a professional salesperson to sell their product and Big Companies like Best Buy have a high turn over rate or when someone who works in car audio shows real talent they move them to Home Theatre or Computers. JL new this and saw the risk out weighed the return.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
adamaudio77 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
 first off Id like to say I am a newbie to this site but I have been an installer for over 7 years and I am by on means a newbie to car audio that said I didnt say that JL sucked I said that I hate them  thay are a fine compony  i just dont think thay are "all that" as far as the best gos there is no such thing as best! audio is very much a personal taste thing  if you like boss audio amps and subs in your car then thay are the best for you.  I shure ass hell wouldnt put them in my car but to each his own.   I have to agree with ravendarat I have never heard of JL winning an SQ contest  but If they have I would my self blame it on the fact that everybody and their grangma are running these things just like every thing else trendy that is why I hate them. I think there are alot better subs to be had. now sombody is going to have a fit about this but I personaly love pioneer subs yes there are better subs but for the money pioneer makes a very good quality sub and sound just as good as JL audio not the pioneer subs that are at wall mart they have better ones than that.  people thought my pioneer single 10" was two 12' S    NO BULL  and also installation has every thing to do with how any sub will sound that is more important than what name is branded on it!
    **adamaudio77**
+ - + - + - + - + - + -
my DMM is my best friend
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

JL is not a major company (like sony, audiobahan, BOSE, ect...).  They are famous for more than one thing, but especially for the quality of equipment they put out (and sq and spl).  Like the other companies previously mentioned, they were approached.  And they denied because they are not ready for a jump like that.  Take audiobahan for example.  Five or more years ago audiobahan was a nice sub.  They had good quality equipment.  But they weren't everywhere.  Then they went big and now look.  Audiobahan is a laughing stock for almost all sound quality competitions.  Now given they were never perfect with the quality of music but they were good.  Now they are everywhere and you hear about how many fried subs and amps they have (take a look at this site for example).  I've been to many installer shops.  Most have a "graveyard" of speakers/subs/amps they've taken out and replaced.  I can't recall seeing to many JL's in there.  Lots of sonys, audiobahans, a couple of alpines, and many other knockoff brands.  JL hasn't gone big because they want to keep the quality they have.  That's why they're still expensive and most dealers are smaller shops.  They inspect their equipment before shipment and approve it before it heads out the door.

I've gotta give it to you on the install though Ravendarat.  JL spent $150,000 on that Mini.  The install was awsome, didn't win everything but I (and many others) believe it held it's ground against the others.  Look at Alpine's new car.  Tell me that thing didn't take months and a couple grand (times ten or more).

Just my $.02

BTW are you a lawyer Ravendarat?  Alpine Type R vs Infinity Perfect - Page 2 -- posted image.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic