I am looking to buy a new head unit and considering one of these three:
Nakamichi CD700II
Eclipse CD8454
Alpine CDA-9833
Which one is best?
My priorities are as follows:
1 - SQ (top priority)
2 - Detachable face plate (for thieves)
3 - Drive transport mechanism(no skipping on bumpy roads)
4 - compressed file playability(mp3 etc)
5 - cd changer inbuilt (not required if 4 is satisfied)
6 - Cost
Thanks.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

IMO the Nak and the Eclipse are in a class above the Alpine.  Also IMO (and in the opinion of several other reviewers and testers) the Nakamichi CD700II is the absolute best CD player available for car audio.  When compared to any other CD player on the market (even esoteric players from companies like Linn) it is more accurate, has better DAC circuitry, cleaner sound with wider frequency response, more stable CD transport mechanism, better signal to noise and lower THD at full pre-amp output, and more dynamic headroom (it can easily reproduce the full 96db of dynamic range possible with a CD.  No other mobile audio CD player can do that reliably.)  It will easily outperfom the Eclipse in terms of SQ and will satisfy your criteria 1,2, and 3.  However, at $2000 list price it is probably worst for cost, and no it will not play MP3s.  I believe the version II does have the ability to control a CD changer, but if so it'll be only a Nakamichi changer.

Now can you HEAR these differences?  Maybe or maybe not, depending on the rest of your system.  Does the Nak have the ease of setup and flexibility of control found in the Eclipse?  No.  But if you want the best SQ available, I believe you cannot beat the CD700.

Support the12volt.com
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
Does the Nak 700II have a detachable face plate? I looked on the nakamichi site but it does not mention about a detachable plate. I dont want to leave the unit "as is" in my car as it would surely be a target to break my window. The specs show "Antitheft=no".
How much less in SQ is the MB75 (I think it has a detachable face plate) but not sure. I got to double check again.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

Ah, I just checked and you are correct, it does not include a detachable faceplate.  Of course, if someone were to steal your head unit it would be useless without the external DAC that you should locate remotely.

The MB-75 is a much lesser SQ performer.  The MB-100 uses the same outboard electronics as the CD-700, but neither changer uses the advanced magnetic clamping CD transport or the machined aluminum CD tray, so they are not quite in the same league.  I use an MB-100 currently in my everyday driver, by the way, and I am VERY happy with it.

Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a real good system then you should also have a real good alarm. Also if your system is going to do that head unit justice then detaching your faceplate is probally not going to detour theives because they are gonna want everything else in the car anyways. Also most theives will break into a car regardless of if the plate is on or off because most people just throw the faceplates in the glove box anyways so they will just break in and check for it. Also of all the decks you could buy the Nak deck looks very plain jane and can be easily mistaken for a factory deck so someone just quickly looking around will probally skim right past it and if someone already knows what that deck is then a faceplate wont stop them because a deck of that quality is worth trying to track a faceplate down for. As was also said since its usless with out the outboard dac anyone who knows their ass from a whole in the ground will not bother stealing it. With all that said the Nak is by far the best bet for sq, just not very cost effective. Also if you are concerned with sound quality then you should not be using mp3's or any burnt disc for that matter being that they sound like sh*t. Originals only
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat, I agree with most of what you said but I beg to differ only on two small items. 1) without a face plate, the would-be thief would not know what system I have since all face-removed systems look similar. And I do have a good alarm (which I put in after my glass was broken once by thieves)
and 2), I have all of my cds encoded into mp3 using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and the quality is truely amazing. I wish I could even achieve half of the quality I get from my home system. Encoded at 128k or higher, these sound very good. I play these mp3s both from CDs and my old Ipod. When played on my two home systems (JVC and Kenwood) they both sound terrific. My brother has a Harman Kardon where I try these same mp3 encoded CDs or the Ipod for that matter and the sound is quite amazing. Most of the times I hear what you said that mp3s are not as good as original CDs but if encoded well they sound quite good. After all, mp3s are nothing but the original file's bits compressed and get uncompressed by the decoder while playing. Bit rates do improve or deteriorate but anything at or over 128 sounds great and I do like very high quality SQ.
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
As far as the faceplate thing, the point I am getting at is that if the thief is A) a professional he is going to have the car cased out and know that you have a lot more than a deck in it or B) some ametuer kid who could see a Nak deck and not even know what it is and pass it up for a pioneer or a alpine deck because it looks like its flashy. Most people see a Nak deck and think it is factory or some low end piece of crap. As for the MP3's go, I put a challange on the table to my salesman over two years ago to burn me a mp3 disc and play me the original on the same stereo and prove to me that the mp3 sounds just as good and they have yet to do it. Even a regular format burnt disc made from an original doesnt sound as good as the original.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Don't even get me started on 128k mp3 quality being inferior to CD quality.
It would be like pissing money down the toilet to use primarily 128kbps mp3s on any of these cd players.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
I think you should get started, I am bored today and need to be entertained :)
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
haha .. I just get so frustrated with the mp3 trend because I think it breeds an entire attitude of "good enough." I see the surge to compressed music as a step back, not forward. You'd think with advances in storage technology we'd be moving toward HIGHER quality recordings (SACD/DVD-Audio, etc.) not back toward cassette tape quality.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic