icon

Nakamichi, Eclipse or Alpine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
I could not agree more. But if you wanna see a fight start try this one. I dont understand peoples obsession with vynil records. They are full of background noise and sound like sh*t. I mean I have heard records played on 15000 dollar turn tables and I still think they sound like crap. People seem to not be able to let go of the past and step into the digital age of CD's. The problem is that same digital age has spawned this MP3 crap. Downloaded music sounds bad, compressed music sounds bad, to me its that simple and I love when we hire some new hot shot that tells me other wise. It gives me something to do for about 20 minutes, because that is about as long as it takes for them to make their case and for me to then smash their little arguments with a couple simple demos.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Have you listened to the Bose sound dock with the ipod? I think that would entertain you at least a little, pun intended.   Anyways, I know that Bose is not the best system by far, however I wish you heard my system at home or even my brother's Harman Kardon. All the people who listened to either of them had a different opnion, no offence to anyone who disagrees.
It all boils down to sampling frequency. A CD has synthesized sound. True quality would come from a record player that has the real sound waves engraved in it. However that also brings another problem, noise due to dirt and static on the record just to begin with. Once you convert (encode) that to a CD format or any other digital format, you already lost the original sound to a synthetic representation of the original sound whereby the quality gets degraded depending on the sampling.   I am not trying to prove you wrong by saying mp3 is better than Cd anyday, but all I am saying is I disagree with your statement of mp3 being sh*t like you mentionned earlier.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
You arent going to ever offend me with opinions man. And as far as the bose dock goes, I sell that over priced piece of sh*t and have never and will never recomend that thing to anyone. Basically all I was getting at is I have never heard a mp3 in any type of format sound AS GOOD as a original cd
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
128kbps is around 11:1 compression. You THROW AWAY 90% of the information on the original. See Walt Crawford, MP3 and CD-Quality Sound: The Laws of Physics have Not Been Repealed, at http://home.att.net/~wcc.techx/MP3.htm.
Part of this information you throw away is because of a fairly sharp low pass filter at 16khz for 128kbps encoding. Why don't you don't want to hear the extra ambiance and harmonics that information above 16khz provides? Isn't hearing more of the detail part of the REASON why people buy nice stuff? Your brother bought H/K because it produces good quality sound. He obviously cares about quality. It makes NO SENSE to then turn around and revert back to cassette tape quality by encoding at 128kbps.
NO SENSE.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Have you ever encoded with EAC, Ogg Vorbis or LAME MP3 at >= 160 and listened yourself? Do you still call that crap? I wish I could demo my setup.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, MP3 is useful only for casual listening.  I'll put the sound quality off any good quality vinyl played on my 1977 Linn turntable with black widow tonearm and Grado G1+ cartridge, played through my circa 1975 Neve pre-amps up against anything else out there today.
Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
160 still uses a low pass filter and perception based compression algorithms. I understand that it gets CLOSER to CD quality, but is still not CD quality, and that fact always begs the question, "why?" Why buy nice/expensive equipment only to gimp your source material? Why not hear all the ambiance and harmonics?
kfr01 
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/mp31.htm
See that page if you don't know what a perception based algorithm is. That graph is extreme, but see how the algorithm cuts chunks of the material out. Why would I want to cut chunks of material out of my source? I think this is the primary reason mp3 encoded material frequently sounds thin compared to CD quality. Add in the low pass filters and you've got thin sound without high frequency ambiance and harmonics. yay mp3! Nakamichi, Eclipse or Alpine - Page 2 -- posted image.
megavolt121 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
My mom's 02 Trooper came with a Nakamichi headunit and 6 disc changer. This was an upgraded stereo option from the factory. Let me start off by saying that this headunit sounds like sh*t. On top of sounding this horrible, it is built horribly. If you push the mute button, 2 out of 3 times it won't work. If you touch the lcd, the unit will do something random such as shut town, change stations, mute, etc.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

megavolt121 wrote:
My mom's 02 Trooper came with a Nakamichi headunit and 6 disc changer. This was an upgraded stereo option from the factory. Let me start off by saying that this headunit sounds like sh*t. On top of sounding this horrible, it is built horribly. If you push the mute button, 2 out of 3 times it won't work. If you touch the lcd, the unit will do something random such as shut town, change stations, mute, etc.

OEM "branded" systems are nothing (repeat NOTHING) like after-market systems.  I know for a fact the only thing made by Nakamichi in that system is the name.  It is a liscensed system.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic