icon

Nakamichi, Eclipse or Alpine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
yes it is not actually made by nak, just has the nak name stamped on it. Its kinda like having a little league team named the Red Sox and watching them play and saying you dont understand how they won a world series.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
It doesn't look like anybody sells the CD700II online anymore.   I enquired with a few Nakamichi Authorized dealers and they said they cannot sell directly because some dealers such as Nakamichi have become strict with reselling their stuff. I wonder how the CD400,MB75 and MB100 are still available but not the CD700II. Even thought I was willing to pay up to $2000 for the HU, it looks like I have to settle for the MB100.
Also I have not heard anyone else using the Nakamichi PA8001 Mono Amp for a sub which has output power of 400W into a 4 ohm load, 800W at 2 Ohms or 1000W with a 1 ohm load (without bridging). I am using it to push a 27WX Focal Utopia sub and it does sound good. Only no reviews yet I wonder why.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

I don't recomend you buy any high-end gear on line.  Indeed, you can never beat the personal service from your friendly neighborhood shop...  The CD400 and MB series are more common, high-end consumer gear so maybe that's why you can find it.  The CD700 is considered "professional" by Nakamichi.

The PA8001 is relatively new (I think it is a 2003 model) and they are rather expensive, so perhaps that's why you can't find reviews.  If you own one, head over to cardomain and write one!

Support the12volt.com
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
My brother knows this person who can get me the CD700II. Now my revised question is if I had a choice between a Denon DCT-100 and the Nakamichi CD700II, would I still choose the Nakamichi over the Denon? Any knowledgeble advice welcome.
And yes, I have the Nakamichi's PA2004 for my references and a PA8001 for my sub. Since there arent any reviews yet, I will probably be writing the first one very soon after I receive my new HU from either Denon or Nak.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
ANY compression scheme is a bad thing... they ALL suck Nakamichi, Eclipse or Alpine - Page 3 -- posted image. It's bad enpough that they cut my beautiful analog source into billions of zeros and ones. I'm already missing a significant fraction of the information contained in the original. I will admit, digital is MILES ahead of where it used to be... but still, nothing compares to the live performance!
And BTW, DYohn, I like vinyl.
(and tubes.)
(and electrostatics.)
(and analog.)
(and beta.)
(and AMD.)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Like I said earlier, if you want top quality, records are the best in quality because they are true analog like the origial source but if you cannot afford to have a very high end gear to play the record on and provided you can keep a record to its pristine condition in terms of dust and scratches, then cd is the cheaper "alternative", which is digitized/synthetic. To the masses, CD seems to be the most affordable media today.
Anyway, I have decided to get myself a CD700ii from Nakamichi and am sure to make a few people jealous.Nakamichi, Eclipse or Alpine - Page 3 -- posted image.
I shall post pictures of my dash, amps and sub when all done with carpet, loom etc. I am now looking for the perfect color carpet for my sub and amp covers to match the interior.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Good choice IMO.  The Denon is a fine deck (I wasn't aware they were still available in the US?) although I'd actually choose the Eclipse over it.  In any case, be sure you get the CD700II and not the CD700.  The "II" designation is important mainly for its improved CD transport mechanism.  The CD700 (the HU I used to run) was known for skipping way too much.  I also use the PA2004 for my mains.  Great amp.
Support the12volt.com
Slammed_Am 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=markcars] Does the Nak 700II have a detachable face plate?QUOTE]
Eclipse dosen't offer detachable face either, but does have the ESN security.
I have the Eclipse 5444 and absolutely love it. Also have a much older Eclipse headunit and think its great too. Never really heard any Nac. stuff, but from my experience (sold andinstalled alot of Alpine headunits Eclipse easily has them beat. Definately a few runs higher in the headunit rating ladder then the 9833.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard some good comments about the Alpine F#1 Status which has a comparable 24 bit DAC like the Naks and it used to be $3000 and is now in the 2k range but I already paid for the cd700II which should be here in a few days. The only worry I have is that some people say the Naks are not too reliable, albeit being one of the best when they don't break down and keep working. I guess I will have to cross my fingers and hope not to have to deal with the warranty department.
lowTHD 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

I finally got to install my brand new shiny Nakamichi CD700II this morning! Weather was freezing my fingers, but I set the heater to almost hot before disconnecting the battery power.

One question: Some peole say disconnect the -ve, some say disconnect the +ve before working on the car. Which is the right thing to do? I would think either one is same as long as the connection to the battery is cut off. However, I do not earn my daily bread by doing installations like many of you professionals out there, so I could be wrong and would like to know which is the proper thing to do.

Bottom line is this unit finally makes my aural taste buds enjoy and sing with joy. Very clear, top quality(keyword) sound. This makes me really satisfied with my sound system. Only one problem is that I am worried about the cheap thieves who try to rob anything, since I got to leave the unit in there with no detachable face plate. Is there any way to hide it by putting some kind of plastic cover (camouflage kind of thing?).

Thanks

Mark

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic