icon

Nakamichi, Eclipse or Alpine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lowTHD 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry about the prior post logon,  my buddy  from work messed with my computer and logged on here. I asked him to use his own computer from now on since he logged on to several places and left his own ID on this computer of mine!!!   

I guess I got to delete all my cookies and start clean and stop letting anyone use my computer!

Mark

markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Ok my computer back to me. My friend from work (who used my computer) bought himself an eclipse deck and he brought it to me asking my help to get it installed.
What I noticed on it, is that there are more than double the number of RCA outputs and inputs(for digital and the Eclipse advance Commander). I did a little research and found that the double number of inputs is due to having balanced line outputs and he needs an adapter to use them all (and have better quality) or just use one set of outputs. I don't know which to use if he doesnt want to get the balanced line adapter.   I went through his instruction manual and nowhere does it mention about which of set of outputs to use if not using a balanced line adapter.
One more question I have is if we use the balanced line adapter (to remove any static/noise in the signals), does this have to be near the HU or near the Amp?
Thanks,
Mark
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
The outputs you will use will depend on the setting of the unit. In normal setting it should be front / rear / sub and in Pro mode it will be High / Mid / Low. When using the BLA it is generally put as close to the amplifiers as possible.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Rob,
After getting the BLA, I realised it had to be near the amp just like you mentionned. Also yesterday, I was wondering about the location and as per the laws of physics, I thought higher voltage carries less disturbances and therefore it would ideal to have the signal travel via the high voltage until the amp (or BLA in my case). I installed it last night and its an awesome system. I feel like the eclipse has better radio reception than my Nak 700II but the CD sound I cannot tell any difference.
Thanks again!
Mark
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
I don't even have to read the rest of the forum because i'll tell you Nak is your best choice. I have dealt with several Nak,Alpine, and Eclipse products and by far Nak is superior, especially when it comes to head units. The  CD700II is the best CD player ever made, so i would definitely go with that.

hope this helped

tony
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Then I am keeping my 700ii. Only worry was I heard from several people about Naks. Best, but you never know when they'll go bad and happens often. I bought a cd400 a few months ago and the unit came with a small defect (imperfect). I returned it and did not get it back for almost 3 months so I decided to buy from another place. ALso my PA8001 mono amp from Nak went bad in about 3 months. Other than that I love my Naks!
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
Don't worry, that CD-700II will treat you like gold, if you treat it the same! Good luck!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
dedlyjedly 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

dyohn-

i was just stiing here wondering to myself what all the benefits of an external DAC in a head unit would be.  Obviously a separation of the processing from the amplification portion of the system, but is there anything else.  I.E.  is there any benefit to a system like the one on the nak 700ii over a system like the sony cdx-c90 which was pre-amp only. 

sure, if you want power without additional amps, an external dac would be the way to go for top sq.  but if sq is the objective, one wouldn't typically use head unit high-level out.

any ideas?

MECP certified, 5yrs experience, you probably otta listen bitch!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
The Nak systems with the outboard DAC modules do not have internal amplifiers.  These head units produce a pure digital signal at a high sampling rate.  This is sent via a digital cable to the external digital to analog converter (DAC) which is where the pre-amp is located.  The advantage is by having more real estate (size) available, higher quality discrete components can be used instead of the normal high-density LSI chips and opamps.  In a standard HU, the signal is read digitally off the CD, sent to a DAC chip inside the head to produce the analog signal, and in many cases amplifier chips also live there.  These components must be very small to fit inside the singal DIN space, and the usual trade off for size and to limit heat production is sound quality.  Another advantage is the DAC may be located very close to the power amplifiers, elimitaing possible noise induction into a long run of RCA cable carrying an analog signal.  The only system I have ever heard or tested that comes close to the SQ from Nakamichi's systems is made by Linn (also using outboard DAC, actually a DAC integrated into the outboard amps) and is not available in the US.
Support the12volt.com
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
You really don't need one. The DAC converter in that thing is insanely beautiful. I love it, and the sound is crystal clear as you know!
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic