icon

1998 Durango Viper 791XV Ignition Failure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DDN3d 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all, I hate to even post as this may have been answered but I have exhausted my searching and testing.
I installed a Viper 791XV in a 1998 Durango today. Everything works fine, except remote start. To clarify, I have a good tach signal. The database said gr/black at the coil but that produced 10-20V for me. An injector (not my number 1 choice) produced 1-6V. So I've learned the tach signal and that works ok.
The unit SHOULD (no Bitwriter, all manual) be set to Engine Checking/Tach/0.8 crank/2nd Ignition: Ignition/Accessory: On.
Now, when I activate the remote start, it cranks the engine over and no start. I've traced the problem down to the relay module not energizing the relays that turn on the Ignition and Accessory power. The starter relay works and the engine cranks, but ign/acc are not on. At this point I don't know if it is a defective module, or my mistake. However with this new-fangled integrated relay module I don't know how it could be a wiring problem.
Sorry for the long winded post, I wanted to cover all the bases. Thanks for your input.
--
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
the durango will not crank without ignition. that's interesting.
you should have energized
ign1 dk.blue
ign2 GREEN/ red (18awg)
acc BLACK/ orange
start yellow
that should get it running.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
DDN3d 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
I don't have a GREEN/ red wire at all in the column.
Incidentally, I had this EXACT same symptom when I first started the install and I cut the ignition (blue) wire. Wouldn't start with the key. Cranked, but no start. (Probably no spark or fuel withought ign).
I have tested the relays with my DMM and they definitely don't close between constant and ignition. The only thing I didn't do, which I should have, is manually jumper them to energize the coil. I just figure if it's a defective XCRS I'll see if a local alarm shop will loan me one to test tomorrow.
--
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+
extreme1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
you can test the XCRS by plugging in the 4 pin harness and jumping the ORANGE / pink wires to ground and see if you get a result that way.
Shaughn Murley
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
DDN3d 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
2nd Accessory and 3rd Ignition output to ground? How would that test it?
--
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+
extreme1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
those wires will trigger the internal relays.
Shaughn Murley
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
DDN3d 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Same wiring, new XCRS and Brain fixed it. Wish I knew which did the trick, but I am assuming the XCRS.
--
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+
DDN3d 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Everything is working great, but I have one nitpick. On remote starts, sometimes it fires up on the first crank, sometimes it takes 3. The first two it just BARELY blips the starter and quits. I can only assume this is because I used an injector wire for the tach signal and this is not ideal.
I got 12-20V from the BLACK/ gray ignition wire to the coil, and the brain would not learn a tach signal. Any suggestions for what to use on a '98 Durango 5.2L?
--
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

that is your tach wire problem.  I would try to use the initial tach wire, and that should solve your problem of not starting right away.

2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
DDN3d 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry I don't understand. What tach wire? The one for the tach in the dash? I used the gray/black coil wire but because I was getting 12-20V it wouldn't read a tach signal from there.
--
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic