icon

Can you make pushbuttons for blinkers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2002 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, another of my wacky ideas, and you'll think I'm crazy....but I was just curious.  I would like to add 2 buttons to the gear shifter that would mimick using the directional.  (I have an automatic Integra).  In other words, just 2 buttons (left and right) that would (when you hold them in) make the turn signals blink as if you pushed up or down on the directional arm.

Reasoning:  I think this would be cool because I normally drive with my hand on the gear-shift (even though I have an AT), and I think this would be easy for those quick lane changes.  Can I just hook up a button (like a valet button), that would make the blinkers blink while I'm holding in the button?

THANKS!!!!!

go2pac 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2002 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.varad.com/racerboy.htm
Karl
Pacific Accessory Corporation
Mobile Audio Interfacing Equipment
Connecting You to Your Music Since 1976
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2002 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Wow mamma....so I'm not really that crazy after all.  Can you make pushbuttons for blinkers? -- posted image.

So I guess with 2 buttons, a relay, and possibly a flasher (not sure if I'd need this), I could accomplish this?

go2pac 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2002 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
opps, just saw you have an automatic. But yes if you can get buttons on the shifter then with a flasher, u can do it. If the switches are low  current handling the use some relays.
Karl
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2002 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of switch would I need that I wouldn't need a relay?  In other words, what buttons could I buy to prevent me from having to use relays?

Do you know how to wire this?  Is this correct?

• BUTTON:       Side 1----> ground,           Side 2------> X on flasher
  • FLASHER:     X----->Side 2 of button & to blinker wire?,     L------->ground

Just not sure how you would incorporate it to the flasher wire.  Are there two flasher wires?....one for left and one for right? Can you make pushbuttons for blinkers? -- posted image.

go2pac 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2002 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
You do need two relays. I don't know if the Honda used the same hazard switch but if they do then use a relay to connect pin #1 of the hazard switch to pin#2 for left blinker or pin#3 for right blinker. This information is off a 1999 3.2TL and 2001-2003 3.2CL
Karl
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2002 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
wouldn't an easier way to do this be to find the left and right turn signal in the steering colume from the switch.. they are usaully a ground output and then just tap into that and any 3amp momentary switch would work..
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
go2pac 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2002 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  

The switch would need to handle the current. Its safer with relays, if the wires from the switch get shorted then the lights would just flash. If you use the switch method, when the wires get shorted then the stock fuse will blow.

Remember the factory turn signal switch just completes the path for the left or right signal bulbs to the flasher. When the flasher senses the bulbs (ground potential from bulbs since the other side of bulb is grounded) it starts to flash and sends +12 volts back to the bulbs. So the signal the relay receives from the bulbs may be negative on the wire, but when the flasher energizes, it sends a positive signal back to the bulbs.

Ok, 1992 Honda Accord uses the same switch setup as the Acuras I mentioned. The switch may physically be different?,  but the pin#'s are the same.

Karl
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2002 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all of the replies.  It would have been cool not to have to use the relays (since I'm using so many already).  Would you be able to show how they get hooked up?   I posted the page from the Helm's manual for my '92 Integra, so hopefully this will help.  I"m just not sure how to connect pin#1 and pin #2 OR pin#1 and pin#3....and I"m not sure where the flasher comes into play?  Or, do I not need a flasher?

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/cpgoose/hazard.html

go2pac 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2002 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

This should clear things up. If you easy access to the hazard switch then use relays to connect pin#1 to #2 for left or #3 for right. If getting the wires (colors might be or are different) from steering wheel column, then connect pin# 13 to #12 for left or #14 for right. Your switch on the shifter would just need to energize the relays which will complete the circuit between the flasher relay and light bulbs.

Can you make pushbuttons for blinkers? -- posted image.

Karl
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic