icon

sub out/setting gain

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

Head unit is a sony cdx-c6850, It has the sub out rcas and i need to know if the sub volume on the deck should be set at flat like the bass/treble while setting the gains on my amp ?

or should it be 3/4 full like the volume?

Also, the amp is a 1200.1 kicker and i also need to know if the bass boost should be all the way off setting gain or?

TIA, Mike

furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
For the hu set the sub out to flat. For the amp set the bass boost off.
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Definalely turn OFF the Bass boost on the amp and then go from there. I believe the voltage on the sub from that sony is 3? Anyway , set the gain on the amp accordingly to that and then adjust the sub level on the deck from there to your taste. Try if at all possible not to use the bass boost. Its not neccesary. I have the same amp and dont use it. I hope Ive been some help. Hold out for some other reply's as they are much better teachers that me.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

You make it sound dangerouse to use the bass boost? How come?

Also the thump im getting out of it is not very impressive, Is this because of my using 8' subs? There fosgate xlcs 200rms each? \

Gain on the amp is set at 1 o'clock  sub out flat, bass set at +4

Thanx for the input so far!

dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

Bass boost is not dangerous if you take into consideration that each 3dB doubles the power and set the gain accordingly. However, the only time bass boost is useful is running to full range speakers and you like bass. When it's only running bass, then using bass boost runs the signal through what is probably an op amp, which will degrade the sound quality slightly as well as make your frequency response graph suck, because you'll have the lowpass centered at some frequency and the bass boost centered at some other frequency.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

Ok ive set it up using NO bass boost, The deck claims to be 4 volt output,but ive now got the gain set to nearly 3/4 of the way? is this safe?

there is no noticable distortion, could the 4 volt deck be bulls#*t

Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
hmmm , its a sony. The important thing is are YOU happy with the sound? You said no noticable distortion , thats a good thing.  I use to have  a similar sony deck that claimed to have a 4volt output. I replaced it with a Pioneer Premier that also claims 4volt output. The new Pioneer deck sounds so much sweeter and cleaner. I get much more volume with it. The Sony was ok for a starter deck but you might want to look into upgrading to a newer better H/U. It just depends on how far and deep you want to go.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah i think the sony is OVER rated in the volt department and the tuner is ALOT weaker than the cd playng,its very annoying!

So it is safe at 3/4? wont hurt the amp at all will it? This will be the last sony deck i use! do they even make high quality decks ?

I really like alpine, always have

Thanx rushman youve been alot of help for mesub out/setting gain -- posted image.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
sony sucks, need i say  more? Get an alpine, pioneer or a nakamichi head unit and that will settle all your problems.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
I bet that Sony deck is doing about 2 volts max in reality so your gain is probobly fine where it is right now. Don't use your bass boost! It makes your subs sound like you have walmart subs. The bassboost can also cause your amp to clip badly and blow your subs also.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic