icon

blown fuses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cougar_289 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, blown 3, 150 amp fuses in last two days. Could it be because of bad ground??? Another problem is when I try to charge my capicitor while its wired into the system, it won't. The light that usually charges it when I connect it directly to the battery in under 10 seconds will stay lit for minutes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
fried cap? try removing the cap from your system and run that for a while....
Quad L Handyman services
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
150 amp fuse????
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
cougar_289 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Yea according to Sony, there XM-DS1600P5 mono sub, a 150 amp fuse is suggested. Highly doubt it will actually use that much, but I've got another amp tied into the same line with it. But after the first blown fuse, I took everything off my lines except the cap, and after charging it put a new fuse back in and put the battery cable back on and pop! every time. I havn't gotten this system to work yet, upgraded my wire to 4 gauge, thats why i'm thinking the ground might be bad, don't know why that would cause a surge but i'm not an electrician, furthest thing from it. But the cap will charge when hooked directly to the battery. Then quickly discharge itself through the LED display and cut off around 7 volts.
Yall know plenty more bout this than me, thanks for the help guys.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Well glad to see you uped to 4 guage    150s of draw on anythign smaller would be very bad.    Like said before try to disconnect your cap then try the system.   Your ground is 4 guage as well as power correct??
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
cougar_289 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
have to wait to get some more fuses, but yes, the ground is 4 gauge as well
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
throw away that amp and get a good one, and you'll be fine. Try a cadence, alpine, or an eclipse.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
cougar_289 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
put in piece of 8 gauge wire in place of my fuse, followed the smoke and sparks and bam there it was......i put a screw through the power wire! great job dumbass
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
Alright Sherlock........ sometimes the smallest thing can make life miserable for everything. I too have been guilty of this before and am not ashamed to admit it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Wow.  Next time try using an ohmmeter to ground (disconnected from the battery) instead of intentionally frying your wiring (and maybe the whole car.)  Replacing a fuse that is constantly blowing with a piece of wire sets you up for a Darwin award...
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic