icon

Good Equalizer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
I am looking for a very good quality equalizer to add to my very good quality system. I am not too familiar with which companies' equalizers are considered "best" for sound quality with low distorions of around 0.005 or less. Which makes/models should I consider?
Also is a 6 band enough or am I better off with a 30 band?
Thanks.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
i like alot of the ma audio eq's    But I was having troble with the eq, line driver and such things causing noise, I am very happy with my new panisonic unit that has a eq built itno it that is fully adjustable in 7 bands
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
Phoenix Gold makes some good eq's.
Paul
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

Mark, why do you think you need one?  The three-band EQ in the CD-700II is usually more than adequate for adjusting playback.

But, if you're using a spectrum analyzer and trying for a "flat" response, a 30-band is nice to have.  I used the Orion DEQ-30 for a few months, but ended up removing and selling it because the gain from the fine adjustments was just not worth the cost in my opinion.  It is a very nice, clean unit though.  I've also played around with an Alpine PXA system.  It seemed to be very effective, although also very expensive.  And back in the old days, I used to run an analog parametric from Carver... wish I still had it!

Support the12volt.com
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Do you know how to properly use an equalizer..If not..I think you should reconsider getting one.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
i would suggest getting a good deck with a good built in eq. i have a pioneer deck with a 13 band eq. its not the 50 band im used to on my comp, but if you are not sure whether to get a 6 and a 30, im pretty sure anything around 13 would be perfect for you.
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

I have used many different eqs, and I find that a 30 band does the best job but takes more time and work to set up. I don't think it is necessarily about a flat response on an RTA, but more about smoothing out the curve.Check out Audio Control's new digital eqs. I used an Orion Concept 97.2  (DEQ30) for many years and loved it. It had 30 bands and offered complete adjustability in tailoring my equipment to my car. I have been using the DQS from Audio Control in my latest setup and it has even more flexibility due to its parametric in addition to graphic eq. I have found with eqs with lesser bands they are easier to adjust, but sometimes an annoying hump will fall in between two bands and you can't get it out with the avaiable adjustments without adversly affecting the surrounding bands. I guess it just depends on how much tweaking you want to be able to do.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
From what I've heard AudioControl is top notch for EQs.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
I personally like the orion eq, I personally use an audiocontrol and I have put a 30 band pheniox gold in my buddies sq comp vehicle. The main thing is getting them grounded properly and then knowing how to set them up
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
[quote]Do you know how to properly use an equalizer..If not..I think you should reconsider getting one.[/quote]
thats a fairly rude comment. hows he supposed to know howto use an EQ if hes never bought one before, there are different types of EQ's im sure he can get the hang of at least one of them. besides that, what does not knowing howto use one do with increasing quality. the quality will get better, he would only need to know what each knob/fader does and after time he'll get into the swing of things. not going to b**** about that comment too much, but you didnt even give him any constructive advice.
Marks, i have a PG 4band EQ and its made a world of difference for my car. but even so, i know in my next vehicle even with a high quality deck i think i'd get something bigger than 4band, i like having the control for different music
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic