icon

Good Equalizer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with DYohn, if you got a Nakamichi CD-700ii than there is no need for a eq, but just incase your wondering, cadence makes a great eq. I got a nak head unit (CD-45z) and i don't even need an eq because it sounds so damn good. I'll still trade you anytime you want....
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
I actually love my Nak 700ii unit that I have. It has made heaven and hell difference in sound quality compared to my previous deck(A jazzy Alpine with XM Radio, Nokia phone connection etc). I was just curious about the equalizer because I heard this system at an authorized dealership that had such (clean) highs and lows that was mind blowing. It could be that they used a cd with extremes for demo purposes.
About knowing how an EQ works, I actually built a few around 15 years ago while I was still a kid who loved to play with electronics as I had a brother working towards his BE(electronics) degree at that time and used to bring home projects from school. I enjoyed building Amps (with preamps) and that kind of stuff so much so that my classmates from school were buying these off of me. In fact I also used to etch my own pcb's from images in those project books. Then I had to drill hundreds of holes for each component including ICs. It was a lot of fun and excitement and a learning experience.
Also I heard that an EQ can compensate for any loss in specific types of vehicles since the accoustics in a car/suv/van are never as good as in a sound room.   I might get an EQ or maybe not after some more research and educating myself some more. But thank you everyone for advising me on make/models and ideas. Very useful information indeed. This site has been of indispensable info and help to me. Thank you.
ps. and I would not trade my Nak for anything in the world.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

<quote> thats a fairly rude comment. hows he supposed to know howto use an EQ if hes never bought one before, there are different types of EQ's im sure he can get the hang of at least one of them. besides that, what does not knowing howto use one do with increasing quality. the quality will get better, he would only need to know what each knob/fader does and after time he'll get into the swing of things. not going to b**** about that comment too much, but you didnt even give him any constructive advice.<quote>

/r7.....The comment i posted was not intended to be rude whats so ever. I don't believe he took it that way, but if so..I aplogize. I simply asked if he knew how to use one. Personally, I don't know enough about tweaking a system through an eq to spend the money on it. I was just offering him what i thought to be helpful advice. No worries though.Good Equalizer - Page 2 -- posted image.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

I've got the Alpine ERE G180  its an 11 band, 1/2 DIN EQ with front to rear fader, and built in sub woofer level and crossover freq. adjustments. I've been really really happy with this unit. Especially the 1/2 DIN part so I can mount it right below by Head Unit for easy access.

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=79841&item=5732272272&rd=1

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

Audio Control makes a good eq too, as well as Cadence.

"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

Never seen or heard Cadence EQ, so I cant say how they sound, but I can tell you from having Audio Control's new DQX in my demo room, it makes even the MB Quart QSD's and Clarion's DRZ9255 come alive. Amazing what it can do in a car as well. It will allow you to tailor even high end systems to your car as well as your listening tastes. It has 8 different settings that you can use for SQ, SPL, etc.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Another great one is MMATS new eq, it sounds fantastic. I heard it monday running off of some of their new component sets and i was in 7th heaven ...
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

kove makes a nice 30 band eq http://www.koveaudio.com/eqc_popup.html

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
My vote is with Dyohn. I would not use an eq as in most cases it is a band aid or a neat play toy. The more elaborate 30 band eq's are great for solving an identified problem in response. This is usually found with the help of a RTA or you just might have the best hearing on earth to help you out. That said though, what the RTA shows and what you hear or want to hear are usually totally different. Mark, if your comparison was between a dealer showroom and your vehicle, this is a major factor in tonal response. Even if it was vehicle to vehicle, it is still a major factor. Yes eq's can make a great difference in a positive way but they can also make a good system go down le toilet if not used properly.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
An EQ is not a band aid in my opinion.  It helps you shape the sound the way you want to hear it.  Some people don't just listen to hip hop and bass music all the time. I listen to metal and hardcore and the production quality between cd to cd is amazingly different.  Would I live without an EQ? no way.  But I do agree that if not used properly they can make sound quality go down the toilet.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic