icon

System on a Tight Budget

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Let me ask you a question. What kind of systems have you heard, perharps one that your friends own or whatever, that you like. Are there any you heard that you think sounded good and would be somewhere close to your budget? Resaon why I ask is because it will give me an Idea of what you like and what  your expectations are. To say you like SPL is a fairly open term because to some people they say they like SPL but if I sit them in a car that hits 135 they are happy, to me if I had a car that was hitting 135 I would go back to the drawing board because its not what I want, but to some people thats plenty. So send us some more info and mabye we can do something better than through out blind suggestions based on what we like, because thats really irrelevent since its not our system, its yours.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
meef 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
as far as actually in cars, ive mostly heard JL. w0's sound soso i guess (what i currently have in my car...was an upgrade from my POS jensen that i paid like $30 for including a qlogic box), and my friend who had a w7 in her 91? Eclipse about made me cream my pants. another one of my friends had 2 kicker l7's (i think? i dono my kickers very well. all i remember is that they were square). real clean sound, and punched more than shook the car. ive also heard everything circuit city has in their sub room (as i work there..in that department, even) and i like the Audiobahn ADB121T's quite a bit. hit hard and dont squeeze my wallet too dry. i dono if thats what you were askin, but if not ask again in a different way :)
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Well JL's are way out of anyone's tight budget, and the W7 is a fantastic subs except for their price tag. Eclipse are great subs, worth the money, and Kicker is garbage to me but remember one mans trash is another mans treasure... If you like those Kickers, you can get kickers for cheap on ebay. I never have and never will support audiobahn because they are WAY to focused on looks rather than sound. PHAT surround, yeah, tell me your not trying to get ignorant people to buy them ... lol ... Out of all of these i would go Eclipse if you could cough it up, but overall for a budget, ROCKFORD FOSGATE makes an excellent budget subwoofer. Take a look at the HX2's on ebay or elsewhere. They are fantastic subs for the money (I mean for like 200 its better than some subs that are 500) . Check it out, let us know what you think.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

uthinkuknoaudio wrote:
Infinity is good for the money. I wouldn't consider them audiophile quality (high end) but they are good for what you would want from what i'm hearing.

Meef, go for the Perfects, especially if you have a deal on them.  I consider the Perfects more 'audiophile quality' and 'high end', whatever the hell those are, than Cadence.  sh*t, if you want to start that sort of word game there are a lot of people who don't consider either brand high end.  The point is, if you're going to put down a brand, at least either suggest alternatives and explain why, OR give reasons why you don't consider that brand high end.  I have a hunch, in this case, that the comment was made simply because the brand wasn't Cadence.  I could be wrong.

Anyway, my purpose of this isn't to start a fight.  Its to make a point about something that bothers me:  speaker quality is subjective.  Why take every opportunity there is, even if it wasn't part of the question, to put down a very good set of speakers? 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
You can probably get a set of Alpine Type R's and a JBL 600.1 for pretty cheap. You can get 2 type r 12s on ebay for $200, and a JBL 600.1 on sounddomain for $160.
meef 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
hm...duely noted about all of that. another question i had was how big of cable am i gonna need? 4 gauge? 2? i cant imagine needing anything bigger than that
meef 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
oh, and hitting 135 db is more than plenty. just lookiong for at least 100.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Well, i have had infinity in the past and they have treated me well, but not audiophile grade like i stated before. By the way, no Kappa Perfect will sound as good as those CVL-6K's i got. Sure there are a lot of components that sound better, but the Kappa's do not even come near nor compare. Focal Utopia's, CDT HD series, Nakamichi SP-S6500, and a/d/s 365is components are all great. They are audiophile quality. I have heard everyone of them and i'll tell you they crank and maintain fantastic SQ. My Cadence's do the same, but the ones i listed are better for SQ. I like the whole in your face kind of sound in my system, and that is what they give. Make no mistake, they have fantastic SQ, but there is always bigger and badder out there.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

uthinkuknoaudio wrote:
By the way, no Kappa Perfect will sound as good as those CVL-6K's i got. Sure there are a lot of components that sound better, but the Kappa's do not even come near nor compare.

Yes, we all know you have best bargain audiophile elite gangsta in your face stuff ever.  You won't let us forget it.  Do you just come here to constantly brag?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
As a matter of fact i got my CVL-6k's for a great bargain. I never said it was audiophile elite, but try your best to keep your crap out of these forums and stick to the topic. I gave my recommendations, give yours.
Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic