Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
brahmas...i'm not a big alpine fan...anymore at least...just my opinion
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat:
"To say you like SPL is a fairly open term because to some people they say they like SPL but if I sit them in a car that hits 135 they are happy, to me if I had a car that was hitting 135 I would go back to the drawing board because its not what I want, but to some people thats plenty."
Um... that's a fairly vague statement. One thing I NEVER see is a hertz/cycle measurement with these decibel ratings. Oh, my car hits 150Db *cough* at 15000Hz*cough*. That's not saying much. a 15000 cycle signal is very easy to reproduce at "high" volumes, and it doesn't require much power.
Now, show me a car stereo system that hits 135Db at 20HZ, and I would piss my pants. The thing is, most people's systems start to roll-off at 35Hz. So they can't even get a 90Db 20Hz sound.
Anyway, back to the system on a budget:
Take a look at Cerwin Vega. They make some very nice subwoofers. Up until recently, they dealt mostly with SQ more than SPL, but they have introduced a new line that is dedicated more towards SPL.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with Ravendarat, SPL is an open term. Poormanq45, you are missing his point entirely. He's not using the hertz/cycle measurement to prove his point. He is saying that 135 db can make someone happy but for him it would bring him back to the starting point. The same with me, really i don't care if i hit 170 db, if it didn't have sq i'd start all over.
Cerwin Vega is average, their products have been on the decline over the last fiew years. There VEGA series was the only one that was really nice, and the STROKER's are just for plain old SPL.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
"Cerwin Vega is average, their products have been on the decline over the last fiew years. There VEGA series was the only one that was really nice, and the STROKER's are just for plain old SPL."

Agreed, go with a single Brahma 12 or an XXX 12..that's another route.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
I didnt think I need to explain this but apperently I was wrong. What I was saying is that if I so chose to take a car to a competion and in that competion it hit 135, then some people would be very happy with that and others would see that as  a disapointment. I have no idea how you possibly interpreted that as me talking about cycle measurments. I have been competiing for a few years now and telling me this is preaching to the choir.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
No, I didn't interpret that as you talking about cycle measurements.
I just don't like how people give these Db ratings, but don't say at what frequency they were taken.
Like I said before, a 15000Hz frequency is a lot easier to produce at 135Db than it is to produce a 20Hz frequency at 135Db.
It's all relavent.
Also, did you know that if you were able to produce a 20Hz frequency at 135Db, you would probably be able to produce a 50Hz~100Hz frequency at 150Db easily. That's why I asked what frequency you were taking your measurements at.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
WHY DOES IT MATTER? db's are not important in this case. It is a budget system and you can take what you can get. Sorry poorman, but It is NOT all relevant. This is way off topic. Ravenderat has made a valuable point, and i just don't know where you are coming from with your whole idea... It seems a little unfounded to me in this case. I also agree audiobass again, XXX by Resonant Engineering is a great sub, not exactly budget, but it is fantastic. Best budget 12 on the market is the Shiva (In my opinion). For $125 it is a steal. Check it out at www.adireaudio.com under car audio.

Stay on topic everyone, lets not let this thread get out of hand :)
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Haha..i didn't realize how off topic i got in my suggestions..I guess since you put out a name like Adire Brahma..i drifted away from the original "budget system"...Here's my thoughts..While the Adire Brahma and the XXX are both Great Subs..The Brahma does not crave the power that the XXX does...so if I were you I would look more into the Brahma...You could get a single Brahma 12..build yourself a nice ported box and run it off an amp like the JBL 600.1..that would give you plenty of power and if you ever wanted to send it more when you get more money..it could take it no problem..buy the Refurb JBL amp off www.soundomain.com ..I believe they're going for around $150..This would run you slightly over your budget but IMO you would feel very pleased with the money you spent...Also if you did go with the 600.1..Id invest in a pair of RCA splitters and An F-mod because it doesn't have a SSF...The amps play best that way...Well, there's another suggestion for ya.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
JBL amps are fantastic to say in the least - i highly recommend them for budget systems, as they are truly bang for the buck.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

audio the word brahma brings in post that don't even belong on this forum much less on this perticular one.  System on a Tight Budget - Page 5 -- posted image.  Yeah they (the brahma's) are good subs but like I said before: Those Infinity's are going to be really hard to beat for the price you pay for them.  Now as far as an amp to match it, that's a totally different topic.

Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic