what do you think of this set up?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
HU: kenwood MP6025
front speakers: MB Quart DKE 108 3.5 2way discus series, MB quart DKE 113 2way 5 1/4" (in kick pods)
Rear speakers: MB Quart DKE 169 2way 6x9"s
AMPs: Sub amp: Planet Audio VX900D
      Mid and high amp: VX3004
Subs: MA audio 12d6 12"s
Wiring: stinger
its going into a 91' z24 cavalier. lemme know what you think! :)
xTimx
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Everything is good except your HU and your Subs - I hate kenwood head units because i think they sound like crap. they don't break at all though! Very sturdy, but not very clean sound. I would get a Alpine, Premier, or a Nakamichi head unit. I hate MA audio subs because they are korean crap that is just horrible... I have seen more of those blow up than i have anything else. For the same money or less, you can get Rockford Fosgate HX2's which will pound a whole lot harder, or Adire Audio's Shiva Subwoofers. Other than that, MB Quart is fantastic stuff as well as some of the Planet stuff. Wire is wire so that really doesn't matter! Make a couple modifications and youll be blasting!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
well considering that kenwood is one of the best sounding decks out there. (for our city lmao) its prolly the best sounding deck for that price (399$ on sale) calvin at krazy kileys dealt with me, and i trust him for everything and he's been in the business for over 10 yrs. (i believe). the subs are unbelievable. they pound like nothing i have ever heard before. the custom made (basic) box i made for them is awesome, and in fact they can do 139.6db's on the scale. so i wouldnt want anything else. and that was even on a RF 400s amp. just imagine those subs on the VX900D. i'll have to upgrade my wireing from 4aug to 2aug i think i'm not sure. and then i think i'm gonna add a stinger CAP. just to be extra safe :)
xTimx
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
setup looks good, kenwood is fine (and I've seen kenwood systems do pretty well in sq competition) ma audio isn't that bad, I've played with a few of their products and haven't had any major problems, and they seem to have a good support staff
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
Well for $250 you could have gotten a Nakamichi Head Unit (CD-400) and it is a far better HU than any Kenwood. Ask anyone that . I nearly crapped myself laughing at $399 on sale! lol. My opinion stands on the MA's ... they suck! lol Everyone has their own opinion though!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Calvin has been at this for well over ten years man. Personally I wouldnt touch the planet amp but thats simply based on bad experiences with their old stuff. I have been told the new stuff is better but old habbits die hard. While I dont like kenwood decks personally, they arent that bad, however you can get better sounding decks in the city for less money, gaurentee it. If you are hapy with your subs than thats all that matters, and your speakers are a good choice as far as I am concerened.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah kenwood hu's are good, not the best, but good.  I wouldn't do anything else in kenwood but their hu's are some nice stuff (price taken into concideration).  Had one in my previous truck.  Gave a good sound to my speakers.  Just my $.02
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

Headunit: Good

Front speakers: Great

Rear Speakers: Great

Amps: Never had them so no comment there.

Subs: Well I'm biased there. Just look at my forum name.

2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Listen, just because someone has done something for 10 years does not mean they know what they're talking about. Calvin is trying to make money off of you. That's it. And he did. Way too much. No Kenwood is worth $399 even w/o a sale. They're not particularly bad, but definitely not worth that money. The speakers are great (check my sig), dunno about the subs.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
you could have got that CD-400 off of ebay for like $250 + shipping with a full warrantee... Nak head units are way way way way better than Kenwood anyday.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic