the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

what do you think of this set up?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. First, comparing specs of high quality head units is silly. Do you honestly thing that last 0.001%thd makes a nuts worth of difference? Frankly, the specs tell NOTHING about the sound quality on most head units.
The sound quality will largely be a function of the components and design the manufacturer picked. This will lead to subtle changes in sound. Different people will prefer different brands / models. This is true in car audio just as it is in home audio. Some people prefer the sound of Marantz, others Denon.
Generally, more people would agree that Nak will beat Kenwood for SQ. But the spec's don't really tell us that. Some people might end up liking the sound of a high end kenwood, sony, alpine, or clarion better than a Nak.
Anyway .. to whoever started this post: If you like the sound of your kenwood and bought it from a reputable place, paid for a full warranty, etc. I'd stick with it. IF you replace it, replace it because YOUR EARS tell you to. Certainly not because someone on this board tells you to.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

Forget the specs, when you listen to them you'll see that no head unit can stand up against the 700ii. Period.

"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
You're comparing apples and oranges. He paid ~400 for his kenwood. Wouldn't the CD400 be more in his price range?
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
I know, but never the less, the CD400 would whoop that Kenwood's butt out the ballpark. I have heard all those nak head units and all the kenwoods and the excelon series. the nak 35z, 40, 45z (My baby), 700ii, and 400 are all fantastic hu's. Put them up to an ear test and you'll see the difference.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
uthinkukno,
You're missing my point: Different head units fit different people's ears and needs.
Frankly some of the reviews I've gotton on the CD400 say it has skipping problems, has a smooth warm sound, and a very limited feature set.
I agree with whoever said it earlier: to say something is ALWAYS right or the best is foolish.
What if the buyer prefers a more bright or crisp sound? What if he or she prefers an even smoother sound? What if he wants more functionality? Doesn't want to deal with potential skipping problems?
Anyway. I have nothing wrong with people telling others WHY they like their stuff. But try to describe WHY instead of just saying, "OMG! MY STUFF PWNS YOUR CHOICE ALWAYS! YOU GOT RIPPED OFF."
For example, what did you like about the sound? How, using subjective descriptive words, would you compare the nak sound to the higher end kenwoods?
Was it just cleaner? Could you actually hear the distortion on the kenwood? I doubt it.
Don't get me wrong. I AM NOT arguing about what brands are better, I'm sure nak is just dandy. What I AM saying is that just telling us that your stuff is elite does nothing to help.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Ya, this thread totally got high jacked and I am definatly part of that problem, and for that I appologize. This goes to XTimx. I think I am gonna agree with what someone said on the last page. I wouldnt use the 3.5's esspecially since in the past you kept blowing them. Invest in a good set of 6.5 components and put them in kickpods. If this means you cant afford the 6x9's right now, then thats fine, add them latter down the road. This is something where I dont think comprimise is in your best intrest. I think you will be far happier with pods than the little pissers, er I mean speakers in the dash.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
dude you don't give up do you uthink?  This is a forum.  You give people you're advice and make a comment or two maybe afterwords.  But it's pointless to keep on and on and on with it.  I bet this guy's already made his decision on it and is either installed it and enjoying it or is taking it back for another.  So this post can now stop the pointless debating as to who is the better hu ok? 
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
I think I am gonna agree with what someone said

kfr01 wrote:
I agree with whoever 

Jezus, where nobody remembers your name...

A wise man once said, "hey, ya know, I get no respect."  ; )

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
^^^^^ I agree with whatever what'shisname said.  ;)
kfr01 
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
lol .. Sorry heavymed and timx, this one did get rather off topic, didn't it?
Let me ask you this, as no one asked you this yet, although it should have been the first question:
Where do you feel the weak points of your system are? Does it ever disappoint you?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic