icon

People are idiots

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

This morning i head out to my Jeep for work only to find my back window was smashed in..and my whole system was stolen..head unit, box, amp, subs plus almost all of my cd's. People are such idiots. I probobably will never see that system again and my policy doesn't cover anything like that so i'm basically screwed...Makes me hesitant to ever put anything in there again. I should have had an alarm.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
I am sorry for your loss... that happens FAR too often. The problem with society today is that nobody has any respect for what is NOT theirs. I blame the ACLU, and the fact that people are not allowed to discipline their kids today "Because it'll cause emotional scarring." blah, blah, blah... F&$# the ACLU! Beat some respect into that kid, dammit! I had it done to me, (my dad had a VERY heavy hand) and now, today I would NEVER even think about stealing something. Raise the kids with some respect. Someone once said "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Here's proof, people. They think they can get away with anything today...
Anyway, when I was in sales, the first line on any invoice I ever wrote was a security system, and to anybody else that does not have on, GET ONE, cause somebody out there wants YOUR stereo... Don't let this happen to you. Again, I am sorry or your loss... it has happened to me, and I know the violated feeling it leaves behind.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

The ACLU?!?  Please.

There have always been thieves.  There will always be theives.  The motivation for being a thief has less to do with how one was raised and much more to do with economic pressures, high unemployment, drug addiction, malicious intent, and greed.  Oh, and Christmas is right around the corner.  And then there are the professionals who steal as a business and a way of life.  Audio and video gear has always been a target for thieves since it is easily stolen and easily pawned or re-sold (especially now with eBay.)  Cars are easy targets for the thieves since they sit out in the open all night.   I agree, a security system can help, but if a pro wants your gear, it won't matter in the least.  A locked garage is the best security for a car and its contents.

It sucks that your system was stolen, and that your vehicle was damaged.  Thieves are idiots, as are people who buy the stolen gear and thus keep the thieves in business.

Support the12volt.com
ophidia31 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
which is why im paranoid to this day. i didnt have anything stolen but they were trying to get into my car when my neighbors heard them. it was in my first car and they tried banging the lock out of the trunk. it was my first car and i didnt have an alarm on it. it didnt help that i had eclipse across the back window! but, the next day i ripped it out until i can do something about it. in that time i found a car ive been looking for. the first thing i did was put an alarm on it before i even put the stereo in. now, i park where i can see my car from my house, if i hear anything out of the ordinary i stay and watch until its gone, ive even thought of setting up a surveilence (sp?) system to watch it while im sleeping. anymore i try to make my stereos as discrete as possible and turn it down whenever i drive around where i live.  if i see someone trying to mess with my car i wont think twice about beating them unmerciful. theyd deserve everything they got. i cant stand people that take what isnt theirs.
s7726 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

I believe the stats still show that most people that steel can aford the things they steel so it's not so much econ pressure as f***ed up people. I went through a period in HS where i stole some things, I was a stupid punk kid, i could have purchased everything i stole, I had a job, my parents are good people, and they aren't rich but we are well off. You can't alwasy blame the parents.

I'll go along with the malicious intent and greed, maybe even drugs, but i don't think unemployment is a very high contibutor to the problem.

Oh yeah and Get an Alarm First I haven't gotten one yet, but i also haven't put anythign in my "Highly desirable" 83 240 volvo, hehe.

Gavin
SWEDISH RICE!
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

My alarm will be my first project before putting in a new system...Thanks for everyones comments/concerns.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

i hate to say it but i have no symapthy at all for people who keep putting off the purchase of a good security system because they wanted to buy the newest version of some subwoofer, amp or headunit.... a good quality, high end sound system should start with the security system and move outwards from there, not the other way around.....

I can't count how many times i have had to listen to people in my shop moaning that "i was gonna buy an alarm right after i put in my subs" only now you dont have a head unit or amp or satellite speakers to worry about making that sub sound good, do you???

offering something so unprotected just tempts and encourages people to steal, perpetuating the same vicious cycle....

having said that,   i understand very little of Islamic law...but i'm all for " if you steal something we cut off your freaking hands"

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
megavolt121 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

A few general rules to remember:

1) A determined theif will get your stuff if they want it.

2) Don't put any stickers on your car that show off what you have. You think its cool, thieves think of it as free advertising.

3) If you KNOW your pulling into a bad part of town, turn that stereo down dont advertise your eqipment. Same for when you get home unless you live in a gated community blah blah blah.

4) Finally if possible, park under a lighted area, it makes it easier for others, and you to see your car being broken into.

With that said, for those who have alarms, I'd suggest looking into the siren that Viper has that goes inside your cabin. It actually emits a frequency that hurts the eardrums. That does way more than the whistling alarms since most people in this day and age have learned to tune alarms out.

flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

bear traps are my favorite anti-theft..

It's tough to find the real dangerous ones, they are banned as far as I know. Find one with strong enough jaws and it will take a hand off!

Just make sure you remember they're set when you get back in your car.

xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2004 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
its funny cause, my friend and his bro one time, came out of they're house at night. and seen a thief stealing a sub box out of the jimmy. and was literally dragging it down the street it was so heavy. but anyways. they ran after the guy and caught up to him. phoned the police and they just gave him a charge. and a slap on the wrist. and he basically said that we cant really put him in jail or anything. do you guys want him? (the cop actually said that) and he also said do what you please with him. so with that in mind. the police guy left. and then my friend and his bro just beat the hell out of this guy and actually put him in the hospital.
xTimx
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic