icon

97 Tahoe wont start Viper 791 xv

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
proBe32k 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I have been looking around on the forum all day today and didn't see anything of use on this subject, so please forgive me if this is posted somewhere else.
Story>>
I installed a Viper 791xv on my 1997 Chevy Tahoe LT. I installed it around last January or February and it has worked perfectly for about a year now. This morning I remote started my truck since it was about 20 degrees out, and 10 minutes later I unlocked my doors via remote and got in. everything was normal up to this point. I pressed the brake (after inserting the key into the ignition) to turn off the remote start, put the truck into reverse to back out of my driveway and after moving about 10 feet, my truck stalls and will not start again. I have checked all of the electronics that I could think of and it still will not start.
Information>>
When you go to start it, the engine will crank for as long as you turn the key.
Even though it worked fine before I backed up, now if you activate the remote start the engine cranks continuously until you deactivate it via remote. (What happened to the anti crank?)
The ignition will work, the radio will come on, and all electronics will work.
I checked the wiring and it's all still tight (soldered) and worked perfect the previous day.
I don't think that there is a factory security system in my truck to conflict with it.
However, when I turn the key I CANNOT hear the fuel pump engage, and the fuel pump relay under the hood does not click, even though the fuel pump fuse and relay are perfect.
I am pretty confident that it is an electrical problem with the fuel pump, but any suggestions would be helpful.
If I think of anything else to help explain this I will add it.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can post on here for me and anyone else that may also be in need of this information in the future on this forum.
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
about two weeks ago, one of my customers came back to me with the same problem.  after being on the phone for one hour with a chevy dealer trying everything he told me to try to swith the fuel pump relay, so try doing that, if that does not work take out the relay and use a DMM (not a test light) and test the 85 and 86 connection on the board where the relays goes, one should be ground and one sould be positive when ign is on.  test the wires first, and if they test out fine, then it is the relay i hope, since that was the problem on the one I was working in, a 1999 Tahoe.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
proBe32k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
what doest "swith the fuel pump relay" mean?
If you mean "switch" the relay, I already tried this with a spare relay that I have.
I didn't get a chance to test it with a DMM yet though. Thanks for the suggestions.
Any other comments would be great.
*1997 Chevy Tahoe LT
*Clarion VRX935 7" LCD.
*XBOX with controller molded into console.
*Viper 791xv Security
*StreetGlow Gold Series wired into security system
*and more, all self-installed
daniel2002p 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
yes I meant to change it with a new one, but if you have already done that use your DMM like I said and see what you come up with.  if when the ign is on you do not get ground on one and 12v on other connection where the relay goes, then you have a deeper problem and a deeler needs to take a look at it.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
proBe32k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to pick up a fuel pump and test the circuit tonight with a DMM. If the relay wont even click I think there may be a better chance of electrical than mechanical problems ( but this wont be the first time that I have seen a pump go out on a late 90s Chevy suv).
The security system is wired in with the starter and the rest of the harness required for the remote start, is it possible that one of those wires could be related to the fuel pump?
Also since I installed the security system I noticed that my heater control in the dash has burnt out once, and is a little melted around on of the contact of the new one right now, but I have heard this is somewhat common. Is it possible that something may be getting too much current and beginning to burn things out?
One last thing, I read something about an "Emergency Override Procedure" in the book. Is this like a master reset of all the settings and memory? I havent found any information as to how to do this either?
*1997 Chevy Tahoe LT
*Clarion VRX935 7" LCD.
*Viper 791xv Security
daniel2002p 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, first the security system gives out 20A of current, which is in no way too much for that kind of car.  There is a better chance that you may have a electrical problem not even related to the alarm,  Let me know how the testing goes!
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
proBe32k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
I figured that since I installed everything exactly as described in the manual that the remote start shouldn't be burning things out, but I figured I'd ask while this post was still going.
I had my dad helped me test out the relay and the pump and the relay does work (it's much easier with a second person than stretching your head under the hood while your arm is reaching for the ignition). We bumped the tank and the pump turns on every now and then when you hit the tank with the ign on.
We are convinced that it is a bad fuel pump. Since all of the wiring is fine. We will try to fix it tomorrow night into the weekend.
Pumping the tank and lowering it ought to be tons of fun since I just filled the tank (about 35 gal) the day before the pump failed. 97 Tahoe wont start Viper 791 xv -- posted image.
Thanks for the help, I will keep you posted.
*1997 Chevy Tahoe LT
*Clarion VRX935 7" LCD.
*Viper 791xv Security
proBe32k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I figured that since I installed everything exactly as described in the manual that the remote start shouldn't be burning things out, but I figured I'd ask while this post was still going.
I had my dad helped me test out the relay and the pump and the relay does work (it's much easier with a second person than stretching your head under the hood while your arm is reaching for the ignition). We bumped the tank and the pump turns on every now and then when you hit the tank with the ign on.
We are convinced that it is a bad fuel pump. Since all of the wiring is fine. We will try to fix it tomorrow night into the weekend.
Pumping the tank and lowering it ought to be tons of fun since I just filled the tank (about 35 gal) the day before the pump failed. 97 Tahoe wont start Viper 791 xv -- posted image.
Thanks for the help, I will keep you posted.
*1997 Chevy Tahoe LT
*Clarion VRX935 7" LCD.
*Viper 791xv Security
daniel2002p 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
I sure hope everuthing works out reat for ya, if you need anymore assistance, just post it and somebody here will know the answer.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
jc18750 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
i had that problem once. there is a safety that your computer has. for some reason, my computer thought there was something wrong, the computer threw a code and shut off the fuel pump. i disconnected the batt for a minute and it cleared the code. now it works fine.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic