icon

home speakers in car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
the home versions of the morel and focal line, speaking of the stuff in Parts Express, is all 8 ohm. I was wondering how some of these speakers will do in the auto environment, I have 4x100 for the tweets and the woofers, so I assume if I bridge the channels, and don't biamp, I could still keep 100 watts going to each speaker. Is this correct.
Could I double the speakers, IE buy two midbass driver for each door and then run them parallel? any disadvantage to this? Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter.
ps I'd be making f/g enclosures for the midbass drivers, so they would not be at all exposed to the elements.
lastly, does anyone have any recommendations from those two lines (morel and focal), either a whole three way setup, or just a real nice midbass driver to augment my polk momos (5.25)
thanks
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

So are you just looking for a set of midbasses to compliment your Momo's?  If so, do you have another amplifier to power these speakers with a good crossover?  Which specific speakers are you looking at?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

97Avalonxls 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

Iam not really sure which speakers in particular, but yes, I would like to get midbass to add to the comps, so probobly 6.5 or 8's. Right now my comps ar ebiamped, i would go back to single input and use the rear channel to power the midbass.

the next issue is, 100 watts at 4 ohms would be 50 watts at 8, so would that be enough? or should i put two in each door and run them parallel?

any recommendation you have about the drivers would certainly be appriciated

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Doubling the Ohm load does not exactly reduce the output by 1/2. I would estimate between 50 and 80w at 8 Ohms.
The only thing to watch out for when putting home stereo equipment in a car is the elements. In a house, humidity is kept to a minimum by running the AC. The AC also keeps the house at a constant temperature. In a car, the AC will not be running all the time. Depending on where you live, there might be high humidity, which can damage cones, surrounds, and almost everything else. Also, when you let your car sit in during the day, in the sun, temperatures can be in excess of 140 Degrees. Most home stereo equipment is not designed to handle those kinds of extremes.
97Avalonxls 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

good looking out poorman, I think that by having the midbass in a f/g enclosure, and completely inside the car, should keep things ok, the temperature may be an issue, btu I hope not, I usually park in a garage, or in the shade if possible.

anyone heard of that anti-transparent stuff, it's like a clear coat that supposedly protects plants, and sometimes is used on outdoor speakers, anyone know anything about it

dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
You can do it, but WHY?
Are you looking for the brand name?
Are you trying to save money?
As the others mentioned, it can be done. Impedance is impedance. Taking into consideration the temperate, humitidy, etc. was also correct.
One thing that was missed so far was the design.
Home theater speakers are designed for the home. Acoustic parameters need to be configured for the speaker to fill a room with sound, not a vehicle -- small by comparison.
Acoustically, I think it is a bad idea, you will suffer degraded quality of sound.
Just my thoughts. But you can do it, you can do anything! (sarcasm aside, of course)
DXAV
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you're doing this for SQ I would discourage bridging the channels.  Bridging generally increases distortion.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
97Avalonxls 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
all I want to do is add some midbass at not too much additional cost. The way I see it is thus. I currently have a set of polk MOMO's, I like them a lot. they are excellent, but, I'm something of a bass head, Iplay bass guitar, and the midbass simply is not up to the level that the mids, highs, and sub bass are at. I tried to biamp the comps (they currently are biamped, and while the clarity and headroom did increase for the tweeter (crossed at 2750Hz) the midbass did not really improve, at least not enough. So I'd like to get a dedicated midbass driver (or two if the consensus is that two in parallel running 100watts at 4 ohms is a better idea than 1 at 50 watts into 8 ohms) to fill in the missing frequencys. The amp pushes 4 x 100, I would send 100 to each comp set and the rest to the midbass. there will be no bridging
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Bridging ONLY causes additional distortions because the impedance drops. Any amplifier designed with good zero-cross distortion values will not have any additional distortions added to the signal. If the amp is rated 4 ohms per channel, and he bridges it to an 8 ohm load, there SHOULD be exceptionally little, if any additional artifacts added to the signal. This is perfectly acceptable to do.
As far as using high end home drivers in the car, I have done it for most of my own stereo systems, because there has, historically speaking, been very little to offer GOOD hi-fidelity in the car. I was FORCED to home gear. I have used Morel, Scan-Speak, Seas, Infinity, Bohlender-Graebner, Dynaudio, Peerless, and many other home speakers in the car - always with great to OUTSTANDING results.
A speaker is a speaker is a speaker - whether you put it in a car or a house. PARAMETERS have plenty to do with it, but are you telling me that because a driver has an 8 ohm impedance (and let's just say for the sake of argument all of the other paameters are IDENTICAL), and a manufacturer designed it for a home speaker system, it will excite the air mass in my car differently than it will in the house? That sounds wrong to me. A speaker does nothing more than excite air in a pressure/rarifaction scheme, and where it is will have nothing to do with that. Acoustically, there is NO DIFFERENCE.
Keep the bi-amp configuration. It is true you will suffer a small power loss, but the control and lowered distortion will outweigh this power loss by a pretty good margin. My system is right now tri-amped to the front doors, with a Morel 6, a Vifa 3, and an infinity eMIT tweeter. Everything runs at 8 ohms, and believe me, I am missing NOTHING.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Bridging ONLY causes additional distortions because the impedance drops. Any amplifier designed with good zero-cross distortion values will not have any additional distortions added to the signal. If the amp is rated 4 ohms per channel, and he bridges it to an 8 ohm load, there SHOULD be exceptionally little, if any additional artifacts added to the signal. This is perfectly acceptable to do.

Thank you for the correction.  Learning like this is why I participate here as much as I do.  home speakers in car -- posted image. 

... Have you checked out the Koda 6 or 8 midbass drivers from Adire Audio?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic