the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Esoteric cables

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
If I may chime in here... and feel free to disagree with me if you like.
I have a friend who is an engineer for Harman International in Northridge California. He has ben sent to electronics school, engineering school, transducer manufacturing school, and he holds 3 patents for the company. He has at his disposal hundreds of thousands of dollars available for testing speaker and line level cables. I DO consider myself to be a true audiophile (however, the label "audiophile" is completly subjective, so stuff your definition) and I have spent many years and MANY more thousands of dollars on both my home and car stereo systems, and there is no such thing as a cable that is THAT revealing so so as to be the end-all-be-all of signal transmission. I have been to the lab at Harman, and I have set down with recordings that I am EXTREMELY familiar with, and tried to discern the difference between cables in their computer controlled A/B/X testing room, and I have NEVER gotten better than a 50% selection rate. Mathematically, this PROVES there is no difference in cables, in as far as this listeners' ears are concerned.
The Setup: A standard CD Player, something from HK, a Crown Macro Studio Reference, (20,000 watts peak, bridged into 4 ohms, Damping factor >20,000, frequency Response 5Hz to 150kHz), a custom built passive pre-amplifier, and a single Revel Studio Salon speaker, with the Crown bridged to it. Yes, ONE speaker. This way they can place many people in the room and nobody has a "sweet spot", so there is no way somebody can declare "imaging, depth, blah, blah, blah" - CRAP! A PC Controlled ABX switch is completely randomly programmed (random so even the Harman guys do not know which is being played) and the cables, both signal and speaker, depending on the test being performed, are switched in and out of the signal path. It is done through high quality relays, so no solid state components are in the path - again so the path is COMPLETELY passive.
There has never been a person set in any of those chairs that could detect with SIGNIFICANTLY more than a 50-50 chance the differences in cables. Even the guys from Kimber and Monster, and they were all walking in there with perceptions that they would NAIL it on the first try. I think the BEST anybody was able to land was a 55-45 ratio - ONCE, and this is not significant enough to say they can hear the difference in the cable.
04mdx4sq, I DEFY you, (and I would even try to get you in contact for a listening session for yourself) to walk into a true double blind ABX and pick out the cable.
Word to the wise: don't use sh*tty cables, but do NOT buy into the hype of "tweako" cables, either. Just buy decent quality gear throughout your system, and enjoy.
04mdx4sq, if you are SO CERTAIN you can hear the difference, I will BUY you a ticket to Northridge, and if you can hear the difference more than 66% of the time (this is a mathematically significant cross-sampling) I will be out the money, but if not you will pay me back for the ticket, PLUS the amount OF the ticket. How sure are you?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

This is a fight I was trying to keep myself from getting into but I feel I must. Generally speaking you cant get better then your source, you can only get worse. By that I mean that if you have a poor recording to start with you cant improve that with good cables, you can only help keep it from getting worse so saying cables will improve your sound is unture, I just believe they can help keep your sound true. Plain and simple, the cables that are included in the box with a DVD player are sh*t and do hurt the sound. You cant tell me other wise and In the TRUE BLIND tests I have done I have been able to pick it out every time. Do I think there is an audible difference between the 40 dollar monster Audio cables and the 300 dollar monster cables, I doubt it, at least I doubt I can hear it and I generally think I have pretty good ears. Do I think Phsycoacoustics comes into play, ya probally. When a picture is painted by a salesman its hard to not hear the difference because you have alreay been told and preped to hear the difference. I do believe that there is advantages in the video side when it comes to shielding, as I have personally seen issues with RF noise being picked up by a lower quality cable where as replacing it with a higher end cable fixed this problem. I am not looking for a fight here and I am not saying who is right and who is wrong, I am just stating my personal opinions. An for the record, personally I dont really care what an ossciolascope (I know I spelled that wrong) shows for results because I dont spend time looking at one in my house, I spend time sitting in my chair and LISTENING to the music so if there is an audible difference to me, then thats what I am concerened about and that is what I am paying for, and that is what determins whether the money was well spent or not. Finally I love the line in that article about a cable needing break in time. Thats just too funny. I wonder  if that ever works.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
"I don't know how many of those guys it was gonna take to kick my a$$, but I knew how many they were gonna use!"
--Ron White, Blue Collar Comedy Tour

Oh my gosh.  A great quote from an extremely funny "movie".  And Ron "Tater Salad" White was my favorite.

"My son, Tator tot."

And now I should probably read that article and get back on topic.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Nice article. Speaking of which, has anyone ever had the experience with the Nak connectors? They are 24K Gold and they are supposed to be really good, and i'm wondering if its worth the investment. Lemme know.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

Well that was an interesting read.  And although I don't agree with everythign he says, I do agree with the conclusions.

04mdx4sq said: "Obviously osciiloscope readings will tell the whole story of the way something sounds, won't they? We are talking about subtle nuances and a difference in staging and imaging. I am speaking of an audible difference.  Like I said, I can hear a difference and so can true audiophiles."

I think you are giving way too much credit to the ear and not enough credit to the brain.  My boss does a lot of research on how we hear things, and I have learned a lot from him.  Our ears aren't as accurate as many would have you believe.  For instance, two sounds played within 3 miliseconds (and greater depending on the frequency) will sound like one sound.  They measure differently even by the Ociliscope, but sound the same to us.  So how can we hear these subtle differences that even the Ociliscopes and other test equipment can't measure?  I believe the differences heard in cables are almost always psychoacoustic.  Do they preceive to hear a difference?  Yes, I believe they do.  But it wasn't because there was a difference in the actual sound produced, but their brain told them to hear a difference and so they did.

I wonder how many of these people realize that those highly expensive speaker wires are being connected to some pretty cheap tinsel leads on the speakers.  Hmmm, maybe that would be a good marketing point for our new Arachnid spider when we finally get it into our equipment.  After all, they will have a lot less loss than terminals/tinsel leads.  Maybe platinum plating them would be a $500 upgrade. Esoteric cables - Page 3 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, you want proof, check out these white papers by Bruce Brisson.

http://www.mitcables.com/technology/wp.asp

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know who Bruce Brisson is, but since the source is a company that sells interconnects it is not at all surprising that they would generate such "proof" to help sell their products.  You can find similar "papers" from almost every high-end cable supplier.  They are not a reliable source.  Find me an OBJECTIVE test report from an independent testing lab like THX or Dolby Labs or ITS or even Consumer Reports or a university and then we'll talk.  You will not find one that supports the esoteric cable myth.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
...and Monster, and Kimber, and any other cable manufacturer will tell you that theirs is the best... personally, I don't believe ANYTHING from the manufacturer, until I have checked it out for myself thoroughly... Cables? I HAVE checked them out thoroughly, and as far as I am concerned, fairly scientifically - it's all (expensive) snake oil, man...
Damn, DYohn, are you EVER wrong man?!? LOL
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
From that mitcables.com website, "To overcome these problems, MIT has developed many groundbreaking technologies and has been awarded numerous "pioneering" patents."
I'm not sure how you're awarded a "pioneering" patent when the word "pioneer" appears nowhere in the patent statutes. Last I learned, you either have a patent or you don't.
Read into this what you will, but I take it as sign that our friends at mitcables.com don't mind stretching a bit to exaggerate the importance of their "technology."
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Damn, DYohn, are you EVER wrong man?!? LOL

Often.  I've been married four times, as an example... Esoteric cables - Page 3 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic