icon

Esoteric cables

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Correct me if I am wrong DYohn, but are there not THX certified cables that ran through the test labs and have been certified to be a better quality product resulting in better preformance, by THX themselves. I could be wrong but I dont think I am and wouldnt that be proof that there is some advantages to a better cable. Let me know, I might just be blowing smoke :)
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure I'd even call THX an independent lab able to give proof...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they collect significant licensing fees?
If so, isn't it in their interest to go about distinguishing otherwise indistinguishable product?
i.e. If 99% of the cables sounded the same and THX made this known, wouldn't their THX license-for-cables business fall through the floor? (Why would the licensee pay for a license if the licensor agreed it was worthless!)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  

1) Yes, THX charges for their services, and there is a fee to use the logo.  To obtain THX certification a piece of equipment must pass significant performance testing to standards they established.  The lab is definately independent as you pay whether the gear passes or not... it is not in THX's interest to liscence their name to something that does not pass the requirements - THX has plenty of money and plenty of backing and does not need to "distinguish otherwise indistinguishable products."  THX certification is very tough in many cases, but it does not necessarily mean something is definately "better" than something else, only that it has been tested and certified to perform to certain requirements established by the lab and that the manufacturer has decided to pursue the cost of certification and lisencing.  That another piece of equipment is not THX certified only means that either it has not been tested (or perhaps it failed the tests, which happens a lot) or the manufacturer has not paid the lisencing fee to label it as certified.  There are many pieces of gear on the market that passed the THX tests but are not certified because the price was higher than the manufacturer wanted to pay, and many others that are out there after having failed the tests.

2) The current THX certification for cables is simply a set of standards to test that the signal is not degraded by the cable, that the cable has acceptable losses and RF shielding, that certain things like gold-plated connectors are used and properly marked, and that the cable construction is robust with good solder joints not crimps, etc.  The THX cable standard was developed at the urging of certain cable manufacturers and is mainly a marketting device for them.  They decided it was worth the money to pay THX to develop the standard and to pay for certification testing and the liscencing fee for the THX logo.  Again, the test does not indicate that THX branded cables are "better" than any other cable, only that they have been tested and the manufacturer pays the fees.  I would be willing to bet almost any well made cable on the market that uses the correct type of connectors can be THX certified...

Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Excellent, as always, - thanks for the quick education on what THX does and their testing quality. Esoteric cables - Page 4 -- posted image.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
I'm not sure how you're awarded a "pioneering" patent when the word "pioneer" appears nowhere in the patent statutes. Last I learned, you either have a patent or you don't.

Also, just because it is patented doesn't mean it is good.  It basically means that someone spent a great deal of money and no one contested it.  I suppose the best clue to whether a patent is good or not is whether other companies liscense that patent for their own use.  Although that isn't final as the patentee doesn't have to offer liscensing, or are wanting too much money.  But I'm sure if you saw some of the patents out there, you would know what I mean.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Tell me about it... I have a 7.5h patents final on Thursday. Curves are tough stuff when everyone in the class has an engineering or science background. Wish me luck!
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
not to stir up the topic more.
but if mdx heard all these differences in a showroom where you can control how loud/noisey the surrounding area is (close the door, open the door. viola) how is a selection in cables going to offer any difference while driving down a highway or in a loud idol vehicle (trucks or cars without mufflers ;p). all the noise gained on the highway i would assume would eliminate most of the audiable improvements heard in the showroom. thats not even getting started on noise recieved through the rest of the install (ie, noisy deck,amp,grounds,altwhine,w/e else) if there was any to start with.
if your really excited about the better cables (whether they have less sq degredation than the monster cables or not), then get them and feel happier. but thinking about this make me wander if you drive your car more than you sit in it, with the engine off (i frequently doit, to enjoy music in a nice sound enviroment... but this is after i've finished driving).
the technicals of all this have been layed, paved, and regergitated in this thread to the point where you cant say one cable will sound better. This has all been based on lab environments, quiet and free of the noises heard on the street.if all these tests were conducted while driving your vehicles, i doubt there would even be a myth to talk about.
Jeffpaulus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

/r7 said:

"This has all been based on lab environments, quiet and free of the noises heard on the street.if all these tests were conducted while driving your vehicles, i doubt there would even be a myth to talk about."

WELL SAID!

Deck -     Eclipse CD8443 - $475
Speakers - Boston BAZ5 - $1000
Amp -      Alpine MRV-T420 - $400
Car -      1988 PLymouth Colt - $450, it's been rolled!
Jeffpaulus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

Dyon:

If you are such an A/V badass as you love to remind all of us, with your PHD and your 31 years of experience, blah, blah, blah...  Why do you spend your time on a little car audio web site, not a home audio site? Does it help your ego? Are you polishing your PHD as we speak?  :)

Deck -     Eclipse CD8443 - $475
Speakers - Boston BAZ5 - $1000
Amp -      Alpine MRV-T420 - $400
Car -      1988 PLymouth Colt - $450, it's been rolled!
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
I really hope that was a joke and not a slam against DYohn. Someones passion does not have to be their profession and someones area of expertise and career doesnt have to be their passion. People Like DYohn are why alot of problems on here get solved and  I only see him post his credentials when people either try to tell him he is an unqualified idiot who doesnt know what he is talking about or when he needs to back up an opinion that would only be valid comming from someone with his level of education. As I said earlier though, I am sure it was just a joke, right?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic