the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Esoteric cables

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
Jeffpaulus wrote:
Dyon:

If you are such an A/V badass as you love to remind all of us, with your PHD and your 31 years of experience, blah, blah, blah...  Why do you spend your time on a little car audio web site, not a home audio site? Does it help your ego? Are you polishing your PHD as we speak?  :)

This was just flatly uncalled for.  Who are you to say what someone else's hobbies should be and how they should spend their time?  What if DYohn LIKES car audio, which I know he does, why shouldn't he be able to share some of his knowledge and hang out where he chooses?  What if he enjoys HELPING people?  I know that's part of the reason I come here.  Both to learn and to help.  DYohn probably has rather little to learn here, so don't you think he's primarily here to help!?  He's helped me understand difficult issues and details that only experience and/or education can express countless times.

Would you rather we limit the board to only people without education and experience?  Experience and/or education both carry weight with me.  I simply don't have the tools (experience or educational background) to read Rod Elliot's post and fully understand it all.  Hearing an endorsement from someone WITH the tools, like DYohn, gives me a frame of reference and adds credibility to the article.  I frankly learn quite a bit every week from guys like DYohn, Hymphyst, Stevdart, Forbidden, Steven, and others.  I'm GLAD experienced and knowledgeable people participate as much as they do in this forum.  Their participation, combined with the overall maturity level this board usually maintains far exceeds that of many other boards out there full of people who don't actually know what they're talking about.

Anyway, think what you will about any other member of the board... but I, for one, am glad that some educated and experienced members choose to share their knowledge here.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Jeffpaulus wrote:
Dyon:

If you are such an A/V badass as you love to remind all of us, with your PHD and your 31 years of experience, blah, blah, blah...  Why do you spend your time on a little car audio web site, not a home audio site? Does it help your ego? Are you polishing your PHD as we speak?  :)

Hey thanks, I don't often think of myself as a badass these days.  And by the way, I DO hang out in a couple of other audio sites, but I come here everyday since I was asked to help moderate this one.

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Jeffpaulus wrote:

Dyon:

That was totally uncalled for.  I never see Dyon brag about his PHD or experience as he doesn't have to.  And why are you taking unprovoked personal shots at a well respected member?  Why are you so threatened by the information he brings up here?  If you disagree, please bring factual scientific evidence of your position.  But making personal attacks doesn't help the topic, anyone in the topic, and only makes you look like a fool.  I really suggest you try another tactic.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
jeffpaulus, I'm not even going to pretend that you might have been joking, and am not going to give you that excuse as a way out.  I have watched this forum for a year, and you have not shown up as one who is willing to spend your time helping others out.  I'm the one who brought up DYohn's educational credentials in this thread, and for you to show disrespect to him because of it sets me on fire!  You want to dis somebody here, pick on a pretender like me.  I'm not anyways near as polite as DYohn is to fools like you.  Now get your dumb ass back over to cardomain where you came from.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Wow look at stevdart spitting venom and fire. Remind me not to piss this guy off, at least not on a regular basis :)
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
I'm appauled by the jeffpaulus post. Yes, Totally uncalled for. This site depends on information and experiences given by such members as DYon and others listed above. Car audio, home audio, pro audio all are based on scientific and numeric principles, and I sure as hell rather take the advice of someone educated and experienced in these areas, than some newbie who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.
Most people don't understand the commitment to obtain a PHD or the real world value of 30+ years of experience. These credentials are what define merrit. This is why "moderator" appears under Dyon and his posts are well respected. Maybe JeffPaulus should take the time and read the Who's Who Bio's and see the incredibile list of quaifications members bring to the table.
Thank You, Dyon and others who take their time to pass on knowedge, experience and opinions to the rest of us. It is gift to have a site such as this. Kfr01 did a fantastic job hitting the nail on the head!
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
That Holiday Inn Express line is absolutly money. I think this thread has pretty much run its course and could probally be closed off to avoid any more bashing of the idiot that is Jeffpaulus. If you would like to contact Jeff directly I am sure you could PM him and would be more than happy to field any concerns you have about his opinions and such:) If anyone isnt sure that was sarcasim.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
It's a shame that a good discussion gets killed by a nincompoop.  But you're right, Ravendarat...the thread has been killed.  But I wouldn't bother PMing this character.  As far as I'm concerned, he's a goner too.
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Jeffpaulus wrote:

Dyon:

Easy now, as you have seen, and I am not the first to make a comment on this one, and also sure I won't be the last.

We are all on this site to share information and pass on interesting thoughts and ideas, not to brag on any degrees, experience levels, or any of the other qualifications that some of us have on this site

Alot of us are professionals and maintain that attitude on these posts, and try to steer from opinionated posts, but rather state facts that we have access to the "proof"

With that being said, I WILL make an opinionated post...... What you have done is a no-no on this website/forum, as you have seen with some of these responses. DYohn is one of the most highly respected participants on this site, and most of us look forward to going behind him and reading his posts and absorbing the valuable information that he brings to the table. As many of us can tell you, he doesn't brag on any degrees, though most of us know the extent, and therefore further value his contributions. As for reasoning for being here, some of us enjoy helping others and ourselves in learning the tricks and trades of car audio.

So before you jump in somebody's $hit  next time, please take the time to browse this site and understand that this isn't some high school messaging service, it is made up of about 75% of professionals in the industry.

Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
And by the way, DYohn, thanks for the link, it was an interesting article.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic