icon

Off Topic: Computer Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
My computer has been running very slowly for a little while now. It's progressively getting worse. I'm postitive it has spyware and viruses. Spybot and Ad-aware don't seem to help its performance in any way. Any other ideas on how to rid my computer of spyware/viruses? Also if it comes down to it..does anyone know how to reformat a computer?
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
maximus32583 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
Well there are a lot of factors that can slow a computer. If you list the specs and if its a store bought computer like a dell or god forbid a gateway list the model number. Defraging might help. As far as reformating. It can be easy or it can be a pain. If you have not done it before ask for some help from someone who has.
Maximus
audiobass10 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

Actually it is a Gateway..It was designed for Windows ME, which had tons of problems from what i've heard. Not sure what the model number is or how i would find it. Also i have no experience with reformatting so anyone that wants to help..it would be appreciated...not sure if i have to reformat yet, but its always a last resort sort of thing which I would end up paying someone to do since i dont know how to do it myself.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

#1 problem...Windows ME

I'm not just saying to make you feel bad, this really is a sucky operating system. Get rid of this and things will get better right away.

My PC has Windows XP Home, I don't have the original disk, so I've left it alone. I run Norton 'System Works' software and update and run the programs regularly. I use Ad Aware too. The firewall is set in my LAN connection and I have had no serious problems since.

XP home is good and cheap, $99 for a licensed copy. I like XP pro better, but Windows 2000 and even Windows '98 (2nd edition) will work much better than ME.

Another thing to check is the inside of your PC where the CPU is, blow the dust off if it is caked on thick. I have to do this with mine a lot since I leave it running 24/7.  Check the operation of the fan too, it would not work too well if at all if the small CPU fan is dead.

The best thing you can do is back up everything you want to keep and get ready to start over. Get some of the above mentioned software and 'see the light' so to speak.

This machine here is a compaq 800mHz celeron, it used to have ME and it sucked. I've maxed the memory out (only 256MB) and run the XP home, it does alright for what I use it for.

Be sure you aren't sharing power circuits with high current devices, like the fridge or space heater. Computers like nice clean AC power. Get a line conditioner/UPS if you believe this may be a problem in your home.

We really need to know more about the computer to troubleshoot it, but starting fresh with a real OS is a good start. Don't connect to the internet until you have a good firewall and anti-virus software installed.

furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
If you bought it new you should have an OEM disk that came with it. All you have to do is put the disk in & reboot your computer. It will ask you a series of question like do you want to repair , reinstall  or do a full install. You will want to do a full install. It will  ask if you want to format the hdd. If you don't want to do it like that, boot your system up to the c:/ prompt  and type in format c:/ .Once formated you will need to reinstall you os. If you need more help let  just ask.
audiobass10 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
I guess I should have mentioned that I run Windows XP. I was just pointing out that it was designed for Windows ME to make it clear to everyone when it was made. The computer runs fine when its not infected w/ so much spyware and such.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

if you have the XP disk ..Put it in and reboot your puter....Make it boot to the CD....When the screen comes up you want to do the repair option.....What it will do is put Windows XP back to the way it was when it was first installed...It will not delete any files and you will NOT have to reinstall anthing....If that doesnt work...Then back up your info and format....Takes a while but is worth it...

I am running Spybot Search and destroy.....AVG antivirus Free Edition....And Norton Utilities.....I Have never experianced a prob...and I am still running Service pack 1...Not too sure about SP2.....Get all the updates to everything....And if your on High speed and Dload a lot turn on the windows Firewall.....

If you decide to format and you have access to it get a hard drive equal to or bigger than the one you are running that you wont mind overwritting.....Get a copy of Norton Ghost and make a copy of your HD...When you get it reloaded with Windows and All your virus protection and Spyware protection loaded....You will have a direct copy of your orig HD on the Ghosted copy and you can get all of your data files back but you will still have to reinstall any progs you had...

If you dont know what you are doing seek help before you really mess your puter up...

Off Topic: Computer Problems -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

try this:

TOOLS, internet options, delete cookies/clear history/delete files

Update from msupdates official website, you should have the icon in your menu somwhere.

Update and install, reboot.

I would highly recomend NSW since it worked so well for me. It was money well spent, since I could concentrate on other things besides computer problems. I'm renewing my anti-virus registration for 2005, it has worked nice so far. I don't think the $25 or whatever is worth saving to risk what's happening these days. The program initially costed $100, but it was new at the time. It may be cheaper if you shop around, but it's definitly worth it when you're having problems.  It only works if you run it every now and then to maintain the system, always update it and reboot now and then.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

Ad-aware is mosty likely searching out and finding any spyware applications.  I've been using it for years and it seems to be perfect.  Just always check for updates when you run it. 

First thing I'd do is find out what is running in the background if the computer is bogging down.  Press ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager.  Look at the applications, then the processes that are running on the machine.  See anything that looks like it shouldn't be running?  Then check the tab Performance, CPU usage.  Is it high?

One application I know of that could be running hidden is Kazaa or KazaaLite.  If you have a modem with indicator lights, look at it to see if there is traffic that you are unaware of.  If the machine is set up for separate users, see if anyone has applications running.  And check to see if any recent downloaded .exe files might have caused a system slowdown.  If you have some new ones you don't use, go to Windows control panel and remove them.

Basic maintenance:  Once a week defragment, and run Disk Cleanup ( in Accessories, System Tools.

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
I have the same type problems. I am running Windows ME, and I know I need to upgrade to XP. I am running virus protection from Trend called PCillin, and it catches all the viruses, etc. I also use Ad-aware. I also defragment regularly. I leave it on 24/7. My problem is the longer that I leave it on the slower it gets. And if I scan everyday with Ad-aware, I end up with 40 or 50 criticals that I have to delete. If I scan, then use the internet right away, I usually have no problems. Does it sound like my virus protection is letting something get in? Or does it even supposed to stop these type of problems? What can I run that will STOP all of these ad type problems from getting on my computer?
'85 Toy
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic