the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 791 on manual car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TRDCamry 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

need help please...

the alarm side of the alarm works good, but the only thing is that the remote start side doesnt work.  i have a 85 toyota corolla with  the clutch swith bypassed already.  so in other words, i can start the car just like how an automatic can.  well when i try to remote start it, the motor doesnt crank or turnover.  i have grounded the netural saftey wire, and still nothing happens.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Look, you're probably not going to appreciate this, but
Step Away From The Vehicle.
You're going to cause an accident w/ that thing, and you're going to be sued to kingdom come...
Having said that, you must have something hooked up incorrectly in your ignition harness: check to make sure that the pink wire is going to an ignition wire (put a DMM across it!), the orange to an accessory, green to the key side of a starter wire, and purple to motor side. (Especially check that last bit).
After check that, check your tach connection, and program tach.
If it still doesn't work, report back.
Let me say again-- this car is a recipe for disaster.
Me
TRDCamry 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
ok i checked the wires to the ignition and they seemed to be in the right place.  as for the tach wire, we tapped that off to the wire behind the speedo and that didnt work, we then tapped it off the black wire to the igniter and still nothing happened.  as for programing the tach, it works fine when programing but the motor still doenst seem to turn over.
mikynunu 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
make sure the strter wire is connected right
purple: motor side
green: Key side
hagmanti 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
And, if you didn't hook up the tach wire, then I'm confused how it "works fine when programming".
I'm not trying to be a jerk-- I'm really not, but I truly believe that this car is going to hurt someone. If you don't hook up that neutral safety wire, all it takes is the gear shift being in gear one time when you're not around-- it doesn't even take you leaving it that way-- someone could bump your car in the parking lot, you go to remote start it, and all of a sudden your car, that you disabled all the safety features on, is running over a pregnant woman, and you're spending the rest of your life paying her medical bills.
Anyway, back to be basics-- check connections, make sure they're tight. Did you solder your wires? I'm guessing not, because you mention "tapping off"-- does that mean T-taps? Check those carefully, and consider replacing them w/ soldered connections. What procedure did you use for programming tach? How do you know it "works fine"?
Take care,
Me
TRDCamry 
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

mikynunu-if i hooked it backwards, would the starter kill still work?? 

hagmanti-yes i know that installing remote start on a manual car could be very dangerous and im taking great care in preventing it while its in gear, but im just concerned that its not working properly as of now.  for all the connections, i have soldered everything except the starter kill relay side.  i have connected the tach wire to the negative side of the coil.  to program it, i start the car, then push the valet switch and hold it, until the LED stays on constant, then turn off car.  is that how you program it, cause thats what my fren said he does. 

once again, thanks to everyone who is trying to help me with this problem, i really appreciate it.  much mahalos to everyone

hagmanti 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
That makes me feel much better. :)
Starter kill would still work, remote start would not.
That's the correct procedure for programming tach. If you've gotten the LED to stay on constant like that, then you have a good source of tach, and probably don't need to try another...
Make sure about the starter wires-- the purple side has to face the motor...
Me
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Then, to ensure the safety of all around you, head to your local Viper dealer, and buy a 668M Manual Transmission Interface. This will enable you to use the remote start feature properly without endangering anyone. They're cheap, they work.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
^clumsy^ 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Where can I find the 668M Manual Transmission Interface at? I should be getting this alarm soon and would like to use the remote start feature, i'm aware of the problems. It looks like im not going to be able to get a shop to install the remote start feature for me so I'm going to attempt to do it myself. How hard will this be to do on a scale of 1 through 10?
adam.l.walker 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

Speaking of the purple wire to starter side, green wire to key side... how do you know which is which?  According to the wiring diagram for my truck, I only have one starter wire, which was under the steering column.  It, along with all the other ignition and accessory wires go into the same little connector box under the steering column, but I can't see where they come out or what wire would control "key side" to tap into.  Anybody have any advice?  My vehicle is a 1998 Ford F-150 w/out anti-theft (pats or whatever) and no transponder key.  Thanks.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic