Viper 791 on manual car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheSaint421 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

gus1 wrote:
Then, to ensure the safety of all around you, head to your local Viper dealer, and buy a 668M Manual Transmission Interface. This will enable you to use the remote start feature properly without endangering anyone. They're cheap, they work.
Gus

What exactly does it do? and how does it make it safer to use on a manual tranny? I have RS on my car, and yes I do have to leave it out of gear, but I have the E-Brake on when the car is off. there is no switch on a manual transmission to tell the car wheather or not it's in gear or anything like that, so what could this module possibly do to make it safe to install a RS on a mnnual transmission.

and by the way unless you have your Rs to crank on your engine for 6-8 seconds, then as long as your E-Brake is on, and the wheels locked, the RS won't move the car more and maybe 3-4 inches, at least when I tested mine thats about as far asit moved....

The Saint

TRDCamry 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  

hagmanti wrote:
That makes me feel much better. :)
Starter kill would still work, remote start would not.
That's the correct procedure for programming tach. If you've gotten the LED to stay on constant like that, then you have a good source of tach, and probably don't need to try another...
Make sure about the starter wires-- the purple side has to face the motor...
Me
lets say if the wires are backwards, would that be a reason why the motor doesnt crank or turnover?? cause nothing happens when i push the (*) on the remote.  it doesnt beep or anything.  and where could i get that optional relay for the manual trans???  i have tried to find it on the viper site but couldnt find it.  well ill try and check the wires and see if the starter wires are correct.

thanks again to all the people who is trying to help me out with my problem. 

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  

the 688M has to see the vehicle running and the park brake on, you have to exit the vehicle (it looks for a signal from the drivers door) and then shut down the unit... if the door is opened again it goes out of ready mode....

obviously you couldn't exit the vehicle properly if the car is running and in gear.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
TRDCamry-- Do you have hood pin hooked up? Are you sure that it's getting depressed when the hood is down?
TheSaint241-- did you test on an incline? Did you test when your e-brake had failed? Did you test when you'd forgotten to set your e-brake? Did you test when you had set it, but someone else had messed w/ it? Did it still move only 3-4 inches in all those situations? Did you test when the engine was cold (and requires longer cranking) and the car near a patch of ice (so once started, wouldn't stop)?
Can you guarantee that you'll never park a foot away from another car, and have someone squeeze between the cars? Can you guarantee that no one will ever park a foot away from yours?
If you can answer yes to all those questions, then you won't have a problem w/ lawsuits. Otherwise, go to the trouble of ensuring your car can not start in gear.
Just my $.02,
Me
riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

Trdcamry it sounds like you have a problem with the hoodpin make sure the pin is not reciving ground or that you didnt leave the hood open while testing.I've done it many times now I always forget . And as for having a RS in a manual I've had mines for four yrs with no problems. Let me ask you is this your car? Do you have the netural safety hooked up to your e-brake? If yes to both questions you should be fine just be extra cautious especially when you let someone else drives your car  because that person is less cautious then you and dont RS after someone has used your car because they might of lefted it in gear. Goodluck and be responsible.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks kevin..... You beat me to it! Every manny tranny starter makes you put it into a ready mode..... the DEI box is an addon piece for any of their starters.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
BTW.... a VW diesel will start and try to drive away if left in gear with the ebrake on...... pretty much most diesels will have enough tourque to take off on you (I experimented with my last car to test this theory.... in a big open parking lot, of course)
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
TheSaint421 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

hagmanti wrote:
TRDCamry-- Do you have hood pin hooked up? Are you sure that it's getting depressed when the hood is down?
TheSaint241-- did you test on an incline? Did you test when your e-brake had failed? Did you test when you'd forgotten to set your e-brake? Did you test when you had set it, but someone else had messed w/ it? Did it still move only 3-4 inches in all those situations? Did you test when the engine was cold (and requires longer cranking) and the car near a patch of ice (so once started, wouldn't stop)?
Can you guarantee that you'll never park a foot away from another car, and have someone squeeze between the cars? Can you guarantee that no one will ever park a foot away from yours?
If you can answer yes to all those questions, then you won't have a problem w/ lawsuits. Otherwise, go to the trouble of ensuring your car can not start in gear.
Just my $.02,
Me

Hi, I agree that that module the other user sugested was safer, but in my opinion it's a huge pain in the ass, I much prefer just being able to shut off the car, get out and then if I want RS the car I can. and I always leave my car out of gear, and the e-brake on. I have never left it out of gear without the ebrake, and I have never left the car in gear unintentionally. Other people don't mess with my car, and if they do, then I take into account that something might not be set correctly, as in left in gear with or without the e-brake applied. As far as the E-brake cable breaking, this only occurs when you get someone that cranks the e-brake back as far as it will go all the time, some people just don't realize that you don't have to do this, and then the cable streches and eventually breaks, I take care of my car, and pay attention to this sort of thing.

There is something to be said for just plain old stupidity. if I parked on a hill, then I would have the e-brake on and the car in gear while it was sitting, and then I just wouldn't RS the car in that situation, but since I don't park on a hill 99% of the time, that little inconvinience isn't that big of a deal. if you go to the trouble to put an RS system on your car, you should be aware of the effects it can have in certain situations, and plan for them. if you are a person that constantly forgets to take the car out of gear then further precautions are needed.

I'm not saying by any stretch of the imaginatino that what has been said couldn't happen, but I have had RS on every one of my cars and have never hit antoher car with it, or tried to start the car while it was in gear. But thats just me. I get into the habbit of doing things a certain way, and if I have to leave the car in gear, then I have made a concious decision to do that, and can remember that the car is in gear...

With that being said, I agree completely with you. I feel all the safety precautions for putting a RS on a manual are a pain in the ass, the only one I use is hooking the neutral/park wire into the e-brake switch, so that if the e-brake isn't on the car won't start. But aside from that I just make sure that I pay attention. There might be some of you out there that feel they might forget once in a while, or maybe it will make you more comfortable to have all the safety precautions you can get, either way there is nothing wrong with that.

The saint

bighops2000 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
once you cut the starter wire the wire will be separated in two parts. The part that goes up to the ingnition is the key side and the other is the starter side
TRDCamry 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
riceman wrote:

Trdcamry it sounds like you have a problem with the hoodpin make sure the pin is not reciving ground or that you didnt leave the hood open while testing.I've done it many times now I always forget . And as for having a RS in a manual I've had mines for four yrs with no problems. Let me ask you is this your car? Do you have the netural safety hooked up to your e-brake? If yes to both questions you should be fine just be extra cautious especially when you let someone else drives your car  because that person is less cautious then you and dont RS after someone has used your car because they might of lefted it in gear. Goodluck and be responsible.

yes this is my car, and i have tried it with the hood up and down.  the alarm side works fine, when the hood up, my fren pushes the pin switch and i arm the car, he lets the pin switch go and the alarm goes off.  im sure the pin switch is working fine.  i havent hooked up the neutral safety swtich yet, just grounded it so that i could get the RS going, but it still doesnt crank for some reason.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic