the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

dual audio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Dual used to be a very highly respected German company, but they went bankrupt in 2001.  A Korean company  (Namsung ) purchased the rights to use the name and anything you see today with the name "Dual" on it is very low-end.

Interesting to find out the history on that.  I had a Dual turntable years ago, which was eventually stolen.  I also had a Sansui amp.......and lately when shopping for a cheap TV I found the name Sansui again, but was disappointed to find out that the great Japanese manufacturer also went out of business.  The name was bought by the international conglomerate Orion, which looks to be a part of this group, http://www.thakral.com/aboutus/index.html

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ah, Sansui.  A truly great manufacturer at one time.  I'd love to have an AU-111 amplifier.  They retreated from the US market in the 1990's largely because of sales pressure from Sony and JVC, and the original company went belly-up in I believe 2001.  They are still around and still owned by the Japanese, manufacturing and selling products mainly in India these days.  The link to the Thrakal Group is one of their main distribution channels, although I don't know if they control manufacturing.   I understand that Sears (AKA K-mart) has signed a distribution deal with them to bring some of the Indian products into the US.  I haven't tested any so can't speak to the current quality.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, you said AU-111.  That's the integrated amp that I owned...bought it in the service BX in Italy in early 1977, shipped it back with my luggage, and used it for years.  It had a retail of $700+ and I think my price was well over $400.  Finally a channel went out (could have been my fault as I didn't comprehend ohm load at the time).  I had it stored in the attic for a long time and now I'm extremely embarrassed to admit I threw it in the trash in a clean-up frenzy.  While investigating the Sansui brand (after buying the TV), I read that the AU-111 is worth $250 and up, working or not.  I am such an idiot.

Just another of the many things one learns in an audio forum like this.   Btw, the TV was $169 at Best Buy (27") and has a great picture.  A lot of bang for the buck.

For quite some time, I had that amp, the ESS Tempest speakers, Nakamichi cassette deck and a Dual turntable with a Shure V-15 type III cartridge.  Didn't know what I had....

dedlyjedly 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

yeah, the local bestbuy was whoring the illuminite combo meal out for their t-day sale. we saw about a half dozen customers that got the blue lighted 12" bandpass w/ dual amp for $129.99!  we've got a new best buy and their new install staff is questionable to say the least so we see a lot of their cheapo product like this.

we've upgraded a couple of the customers after explaining that there was nothing more the adjustment knobs or install coudl do for the system. i just cant believe how many 50 dollar installs and 50 dollar amp kits we sold on the deal! no mouie bueno!

MECP certified, 5yrs experience, you probably otta listen bitch!!
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
Gotta love those 129.99 dollars get ups, with a 79.99 dollar amp to complete the setup, brought to the shop for an install that some expect miracles, you get the pleasure of some trying to discredit the install as the problem for the get up sounding so badly, lol, what a crock!!
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
oops, almost forgot to mention the 29.99 dollar, manual eject cd player!!!
stevdart 
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
My oops above.  Just in case anybody saw that I claimed to have owned a Sansui   AU-111 and then threw it away.....I remembered the model number wrong.  I had this one the AU-11000.  Whew!  I should have been shot if I threw that great old tube amp in the trash!
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Are most tube amps pretty nice, because I know someone that has two or three that are integrated amps, that arn't in use. They were probobly made in the 70s but I cannot remember the model and brand name of them.
stevdart 
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
The integrated amps of the mid and late 70's were post-tube era.  They had solid state electronics.  I had the belief in'76 when I got that Sansui that "integrated" meant that the amp and preamp were combined, but they didn't have a tuner (which would actually have made them receivers).  Do you know that your friend's integrated amps have tubes?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
I know for sure they have tubes so they must have been made in the late 70s then.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic