icon

Think you know FG?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
Awesome!! You know i was just thinking about this project someday this week. About everyones suggestions on how to make this.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
cornfedmancow 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

OK, this wil sound weird, but go to Michaels or Jo Anns Fabrics and get yourself a polystyrene ball, commonly used in crafts.  Coat the thing in foil or other heat resistant tape.  Cut and lay your fleece over it, coat with resin and let harden overnight.  Then cut a small hole in the fleece resin shell and then dissolve the polystyrene with Limonene. What is Limonene? Well it is a biodegradable alternative to degreasers, and is an effective grafitti remover as well.  Search Google for Florida Chemicals or got www.floridachemicals.com. If you are curious about the chemcla, lok for the MSDS sheet for d-limonene.  Limonene is a chemical derived from citrus rinds. Basically, pour the Limonene into the sheel containing the polystyrene foam ball and in a few minutes (or more) if will be dissolved to liquid which can be poured out.

One benefit to this type of polystyrene ball is you can cut it and form it to whatever you want using a "hot wire cutter".  There are ways to make them with a soldering iron and some copper wire.

Good luck.  Also, I think you are making a Sphere for custom sub woofer. The volume of a 20 inch sphere is almost 2 cuft. Nice size for a 12"

Eagles may soar - but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
I'm done with my project already but I plan on using lots of polystyrene in later projects.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
1st place sound 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
buy a globe and cut it in half. works great  no standing waves best sq.  know put a square box over it and blow everyone away. ask a audio file.
1st place sound if the windows arent shaken youv been taken
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
were can you get polystyrene? is that the stuff you can wire cut to form molds and things like that?
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
cornfedmancow 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

Think you know FG? - Page 3 -- posted image.

OK, Polystyrene comes in various forms. You can buy it retail or you can buy it whole sale in sheets or blocks.  (really big blocks).  There are various weights classes (I.E. 1 lb,  2lb, 3 lb, 5 lb, up to 18 lb which is pretty much indestructable without heat.) Yes all polystyrene can be cut by a hot wire and there are some hot wire cutters outthere which are custom made and ver yexpensive (>$500,000).  The average John Q can make one out of Soldering Iron, copper wire, and a Hook (note hook will get hot too).

Personally, I would not try very complicated molds, your basic sphere, square, ect. are easy, when you get into complex concave and convex curves it gets really tricky.

Eagles may soar - but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.
Captanham 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

well i just want to use it to make some simple dash forms or something (like rear deck form or center counsil) so it's nothing but a few curves really, i'm not doin anything crazy,, how well does this stuff take to the FG, does it melt at all from the FG resin or no? will it warp a lot?     i would think you would oviously have to make sure you didn't mix a really hot resin mixture to ensure that you didn't melt it, but i didn't know if they reacted chemically,

i just think this would be a lot easier then framing everything out of mdf all the time, i HATE working with wood and a jig saw, haha

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
Captanham 
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
AND, do you have any sites or stores that sell this stuff, retail or wholesale?  if not, it's cool, i can look and find it myself i'm sure, i'm just wondrin if you have any recomendations on were to get it for the best price
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
WalMart, arts and crafts, floral section.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Whats the experiance with sanding polystyrene to get a perfect shape?
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic