icon

my bass question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
I gonna be stright up. I would go with the single MTX, But in retrosprect I would vent the box.   In a sealed box, A sub that is tuned love 26-32 hz, will typically be clean enough for day to day listening, and still really pound when needed
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
For someone coming from 2 15"s, vented might be the right move.
Model it out.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
the only concern I have about going vented is that I wanted to do this in the rear corner of the trunk, fiberglassed. I was going to relocate the jack and use the whole quarter panel to cheat more space without going out inot the trunk. Is it possible to port an irregulaly shaped f/g box. I guess I could build the box, adjust to a specific volume and put the port on the outside of the box?!? Any one have anyexperience at something like this?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

As my illustration suggests, the port tube can be totally inside or partially outside the enclosure.  You can use available space as you see fit, and the results are limited only by your imagination and the space you have to work with.  The tricky part is figuring out the net volume of the enclosure.  You'll be considering volume of an irregular shape, displacement of driver and bracing, and displacement of the portion of the port tube that is inside the box.

my bass question - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. 

97Avalonxls 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

I think it can be don fairly easily with a lot of packing peanuts and patience. So how does this sound.

First pick a sub, either the MTX of one of the two CVR's, I am leaning towords the Kicker as no one has spoken fondly for the MTX and I know the Kicker already.

Build a box to the specs suggested by WINisd, but slightly oversized,

get the box to the correct post displacemt size with filler

Add port totally external.

is there any thing I need to think about in the design phase about constraint from the port? ie, proximity to walls of trunk, proximity from sub, direction, straight or bent, anything i don't know?

vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

If you build the back and extend the sides out, then you can determine the exact volume needed prior to installing the front of the enclosure. Provided the front is flat and made from MDF. Then you can trim any excess from the sides and fiberglass two pieces together.

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
i may have misinturperted your last post avalonxls, but you said 2kickers? i've heard people always compare 1 sub (of one brand or size) with a comparison of 2 subs... it doesnt make sense. i hope im mistaken because you wont gain all that much out of the second sub and you mentioned needing to play it lower anyways.
with that said, with my knowledge of what a set of 12" CVR kickers sound like, and what i've heard from a about the same middle of the line MTX. i would go with the 8000, i've also heard good things said about it.
imo - i would look at how much volume you have to work with when your done with the peanut experiment, and then choose a sub, there are a lot more than MTX and Kicker to give you better SQ, similar price range and smaller enclosure size.
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
2 15", wow.  I don't understand how you can hear anything anymore.  I used to have a bandpass box in the trunk of my Saturn with 1 cheap MTX sub in it powered by a 150 watt mono Kenwood amp.  That box in the back of my trunk rattled my car around and with the gain set to about 30%, was too much base for my taste.  I even had MB Quart speakers in the front with lots of power and the base was still too much.  I guess some people like to shake their inner organs loose.  I'm 28 and my hearing is already going a little bit.  I can imagine that if I were running a more powerful system, I'd probably be deaf by age 35.
my bass question - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
97Avalonxls 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
r7,  you are way off. I have two kicker cvr's. I am thinking about using a single sub in the place of the two, I have two kicker cvr's and one MTX 8000. I am not buying anything nor looking for advice on other subs. I am simply looking for anyone's opinion on the comparison between a 15" Kicker cvr and a 12" MTX 8000.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic