the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Pioneer Premier TS-W5000SPL  that I'm using in a box I custom made. (first pic)  I have had requests from my sponsors that I prepare a more custom installed setup using this sub, but that brings me to a problem.  This sub is around 14" in diameter and weighs in at 89 pounds.  I want to do some form of fiberglass installation with this sub but I don't know if fiberglass can handle the sheer weight of this monster, much less the near 160dB it can send tearing through the vehicle.  My "block box" is ported and tuned for the sub and the walls are 1.5" thick.  (constructed of two sheets of 3/4" High Density Fiber board)  The sub alone is mounted using machine screws with steel anchors on the opposite side to hold the screws in under all the weight.   Is it feasable to attempt a fiberglass structure for this sub? If so, what special procedures should I do and what should I look out for?  One more thing... Now that I think about it, I can't recall seeing many, if any, elaborate vented fiberglass enclosures.  Let me know what you think, especially if you have some experience in glassing with a woofer this size.

Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL? -- posted image.

Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL? -- posted image.

Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Well I looked the sub up and it says that is is 12" in diameter?
Anyways, yes you could easily fiberglass a box for it. Now for how many layers you want to have it would probably be in the 10 - 14 range.
I don't think it weighs 89 pounds? That would be ridiculous and a piece of lead that size probably weighs not even near that.
Well even if it did weigh 89 pounds, no building a ported fiberglass box is not a good idea. I would make it seal'd. Then I would probably try and point the sub woofer upwards to distribute weight over the entire frame of the box you make.
~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
Some more info that might be helpful...  The woofer is being fed by an Autotek MX5000. This amp is rated at 2400watts RMS, but I run it around 1/4 gain, so 2000-2200 watts is what the woofer will normally see.  The enclosure will be sitting in the spare tire well and should be around 3.4cu/ft if vented.  I don't know exactly how i plan to face the woofer, but I'd like to face it slightly up and towards the rear if angles allow.  The sub came to me brand new double boxed with a shipping label of 92lbs.  The sub of course fell through the bottom the moment I lifted the box. (since i was the first one to attempt to carry it using the handles and not a cart)  14" being the surround's diameter, the hole diameter is 11.9 or 12.0 i believe.  Anyway, just tryin to help by specifying my intentions for this project.
Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
rt2party 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
like Carbon said, not really a good way to build a ported F/G box. not to say it cant be done, but it'd be better to tell your sponsor to pay some one to professionally build the box if it needs to be ported and made of F/G. there are ways to make F/G boxes strong enuf to hold the weight of that sub even if it weighted 2x what it does, but to do what yuo are talking about doing, i think youll loose considerable SPL and that doesnt look like a SQ sub to me Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL? -- posted image.  i am certainly not trying to say it CANT be done, i am saying i dont think it can be done in a satisfactory manner without outragous expense. what about leaving it in the box its in now but glassing that into the trunk somehow? just an idea? good luck whatever you decide. maybe someone else here more tallented than me can sugest a way to F/G it afterall? ~Ryan
Carbonb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Well if you are putting it into the spare tire well then that will make it a lot easier.
I think some of it would have to be made of MDF though and I would have a skeleton frame of mdf to hold it up while fiberglassing it.
DOesn't seem worth it.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
you could do a FG with a  port, best way to do that would to make a slot port, and to basically have that out one side bottom back or something like that made all out of FG, and then have the crazy shape on the other side, i would think, that way you can properly measure / tune the port, you would also have to do a hell of a lot of layers to get it to hold that thing, 89? that's crazy,, anyways make sure you have that mdf ring that you'll use secured down pretty good before you even glass it, make sure it's got a good wide frame under it, and the idea about having the sub face up is  pretty good too, cause that would suport weight easyer, so as close to that as you can get it would prolly be better.. anyways
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Captanham 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
and if ur sponsers are worried about the looks, i'd try doing something with that amp, just hangin there isn't really to fancy? maybe to a false floor around it and the box ur doing, or add a place for the amp in the box design,, i dunno,
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
Captanham 
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

and i said to make the port all out of fg up there, i typed that wrong, i ment out of mdf, my bad, haha, sorry,  long day i guess right?

maybe something like this, but be warened, I CAN'T DRAW IN PAINT, haha, it's an atemptPossible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL? -- posted image.

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
awhitcomb615 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
its possible to do. a friend of mine has a 2000 watt mtx 15" comp sub that weights about 75 lbs. Just as long as you put enough layers on it, it should be fine. like carbonb said 10 - 14 layers even try to make a few supports out of mdf to strengthen it before you fb 
Carbonb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
I can't stress this enough, just a last minute tip. Go extremely slow when doing the layers.
It is important to have absolutely no bubbles, so doing only like 6 square inches at a time would be good. Unless you are experienced it will make the end results look a lot better be a lot stronger and a hell of a lot easier to sand.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic