the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
hello, i would do as what was suggested and that's build the trunk around the box and fill in everything that way, after all you know your box is good and not going to fail on you at any time nor do you have to worry about dropping your SPL with a whole new setup. but you could alway give a floating amp rack design or add some motors to move things around for a little more flash.  but you say your hitting the 160db mark with that one? now i'm really wondering what i'm going to do with 3 pioneer spl 10" subs running off a pioneer class D 1000 watt amp (one amp to each) in my lil 95 dodge neon. Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL? - Page 2 -- posted image.
bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

thats a pretty cool looking sub. i think with thick enough glass it could be done.

satfrk32 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  

Carbonb wrote:
It is important to have absolutely no bubbles, so doing only like 6 square inches at a time would be good. Unless you are experienced it will make the end results look a lot better be a lot stronger and a hell of a lot easier to sand.

completely agree. I dunno but having 1 sub & 1 amp no matter what you do, will not be entirely the coolest setup in the world. Even though you have a hell of a sub & a hell of an amp, I would suggest having 2 amps. Having the sub in the middle with 2 amps on either side would look a lot better then 1 sub in the center & 1 amp somewhere. I think symmetry is a keen and satisfying design for custom enclosures.

~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the info.  Here's some more info that might be helpful.  The amp you see in the trunk is an Autotek, but it's my high's amp, not the MX5000.  So i do have two amps, but one is 14 inches and chrome, the other is around 20 inches and black chrome. I will probably mount both in the trunk.  I would like to have them submerged below the surface of the F/G, and have a F/G door over each, with a window to show just the faces, and hide the wires.  I want them on the sides of the trunk facing out and slightly towards each other with the sub in the middle, possibly at a 45-60 degree angle facing back.  I also have two yellow-tops i need install, along with a chrome Cap.  I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I need to decide on a F/G color, and lighting color.  I'm debating on getting it painted a deep toned candy apply red along with the car.  There's a sample below.  Again, thanks for all the info!

Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
sexyvic1 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

how does that sub sound? i thought about getting them too?

i didn't read all the posts above so i am sorry if i repeat.

u can try to fiberglass around the box u have now to make it custom. this way it looks nice and is still in a sturdy enclosure. ( alot less work to not having to fugure out the volume and such for a whole new fg enclosure )

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with sexyvic. Either position your enclosure in the middle of your trunk and fiberglass a panel (you couold curve it or give it a sucked in look or whatever you want) around the box that only shows the port and the sub. Then mount your amps to a piece of MDF that fits on the floor of the trunk. Frame around the amps also and put a peice of plexi on top of each framed in box (put fans on each side of the plexi coverd box each amp will be sitting in for ventilation). Then just fiberglass a false floor that has cutouts for the framed around amps. Since I am not very good at explaining things heres a diagram of the amp rack (I hope it dosn't confuse you more).  
Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL? - Page 2 -- posted image.
~AFAccord~ 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  

sexyvic1 wrote:

how does that sub sound? i thought about getting them too? 

The sub is great!  It is extremely tight and only gets better as the volume increases.  I'm extremely picky about my audio and the way it sounds.  I like my setup to sound great at whisper levels and be just as clean at full volume.  All components in the car with the exception of the amps are Pioneer Premier.  840 Dual-face head unit, Premier Reference Series Component 1.25" tweeters, 7" midbass drivers, and crossovers up front, all of which cost me out the @$$ but were well worth it.  Rev Series 6x9"s in the rear deck (my weak link), and the power house in the trunk, SPL5000.  800watts RMS to the 4 high channels, and 2400watts RMS available for Boom means everything can work together pushing out distortionless audio up to nearly 96% volume.  This sub really delivers!  I've heard many other setups with "super-woofers" from Kicker, MTX, Eclipse, and several others, but they all have serious flaws. Often they can't support extreme SPL levels for very long, if at all, and the ones that can put up some good numbers usually leave out the sound quality aspect in their design.  Keeping an open mind to new ideas and products is the best way to find what really works.  I've just found that for the quality and performance, Premier always delivers, and then some.  This idea of clean performance is how I've put this car together.  I want to integrate this into the trunk area with the sub/amp setup, but I'm just finding this hard to do while keeping the performance that's there now.  I totally agree, the trunk is very bland right now and something needs to be done, especially with the amps.  That's where everyone's feedback comes in.  Keep the great ideas coming and I'll be sure to let you know what works out and post pics of the project as it progresses.  Thanks again.

Black Cherry
~AFAccord~ 
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  

stang351w wrote:
you say your hitting the 160db mark with that one? now i'm really wondering what i'm going to do with 3 pioneer spl 10" subs running off a pioneer class D 1000 watt amp (one amp to each) in my lil 95 dodge neon. Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL? - Page 2 -- posted image.

My last setup, previous to this one was three TS-W2000SPL 12" woofers in a vented box.  They were run off the same amp, the Autotek MX-5000, but running at 2.66 ohms meant they didn't get as much power.  The box I made was MDF, flat on the back, and 3 angled faces on the front, one for each woofer.  The vent was unique in that I made it replaceable, or so i thought.  It was a cowl-induction style vent ontop of the box that I could swap out to change the box's tuning from 34Hz to 54Hz, one for everyday, and the other for competition.  That setup hit a max of 157.3dB, but I believe that was limited only by the amp which probably gave each  woofer around 670watts, well below the 110% of the rated RMS I normally apply to Premier woofers.  With 1000watts continuous to each of those 10's, you should be posting some nice numbers.  Just don't get discouraged if they don't deliver what you expect.  Those woofers are outstanding, but they aren't meant to be "super woofers."  And remember, a great sub is no good without a good enclosure and tuning to compliment it.  Possible to Fiberglass a Premier 5000SPL? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Black Cherry
hellbilly007 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
As others have suggested, F/G around the box you already have. Be sure to anchor it down because with that much weight, in a sudden stop situation could possibly break or crack your F/G. As for the amps, pushing that much power makes some heat so definitely use some fans. Since you're being sponsored, I'd be hitting them up for some linear actuators for the amp rack/display. Maybe bring them up from the wheel wells. By the way the color you shown would look great, especially if you could get it to look like the colored chrome as in the pic.
Slowly but surely working towards something. Not sure what though.
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
you say that your box is 1.5" thick but in the first pic you can see that your vent is clearly 3/4".  then you say that your gain is basically used as your volume control only setting it at about 1/4 of the way.  you don't know jack ****. you are lying about everything, you have no sponsor, mostly because they would never let you demo their product with a sh*tty set up like that.
what!?!?! you want some??
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic