icon

Good enough sound system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mcss1320 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 85 Monte Carlo SS and im tryin to have the loudest system with decent spl in my town. I currently bought the audiobahn 3-way 6x9 speakers and a fosgate 400.4 amp to power my speakers. Im trying to get the following. (2) aw1200Q audiobahn subs in a downfiring bandpass box, and a Soundstorm 700.2 amp. I can get all of this for $200. Here is the info

Aw1200q Subs

• 12" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofers
  • 700W RMS / 1400W Peak Power Per Sub
  • Dual 4Ů Voice Coils
  • 2-Layer Poly Coated Cone
  • 2.5" Dual Voice Coils
  • 120 oz. Magnet Weight
  • 2" PHAT Foam Surround For Linear Cone Travel
  • 20-500Hz Frequency Response
  • 92.7dB Sensitivity
  • Mounting Depth 5-5/8"
  • Cutout Diameter 11-1/8"
  • 1Ů, 4Ů, or Dual 2Ů Operation
  •  Downfiring Bandpass Box

• Box made of 3/4" MDF

• 3/8" curved plexiglass window

• FOUR 4" x 5" CHROME ports

• Black exterior carpet and gray interior carpet

• TWO smooth cut 12" speaker holes

• TWO silver plated terminals

• Box measures 30"x15"x15"

• Soundstorm 700.2 Amp

Max watts/ch at 2 OHMS. 700W x 2

RMS watts/ch at 4 OHMS 250W x 2
    Bridged Power at 4 OHMS 1400W x 1
    S/N ratio 102dB
    Low pass crossover continuously variable 40Hz ~ 150Hz
    High pass crossover 200Hz
    Bass boost 0~+18dB
    Remote subwoofer level control yes
    Frequency response 20Hz~50KHz(+/-3dB)
    THD @ RMS output 0.01%
    Channel seperation 90dB
    Damping facto 125+

Please guys give me some input and advise thanks

stevdart 
    Platinum - Posts: 5,816
    Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
    Posted: January 10, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

im tryin to have the loudest system with decent spl in my town.

You live in a small town, do ya?  ...lol...  But what exactly are you asking here?  How can you go wrong with PHAT foam surrounds and CHROME ports?

Ravendarat 
    Platinum - Posts: 2,806
    Platinum spacespace
    Posted: January 10, 2005 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
    Generally its a rule of thumb that the loudest system in most any town cannot be had for 200 dollars. You also must ask yourself the question, "Why can I get the subs, box and amp all for 200 Dollars, whats the catch". The catch is that the equpment you listed is, well, crap. List your budget on here and lets see if we can mabye put something better together for you. What you listed wont be all that loud and definatly wont sound very good, I would avoid it.
    double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
    dwarren 
    Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
    Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: January 11, 2005 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  

be prepared for the attack on audiobahn and other inexpensive equipment from others...

For the money you will spend initially and eventually on this stuff, will soon become more than if you invest in some good stuff right away.

bandpass boxes are notorious for blowing subs if not setup with the up most attention and proper filters. It is nearly impossible to hear distortion in this type of enclosure. be careful!

If you are looking for something inexpensive yet functional I would consider MTX, some of the fosgate stuff, alpine can be affordable, USamps I think...

more from others I'm sure,  adire?  nak? haha

wheelerdr 
    Copper - Posts: 337
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: January 12, 2005 at 3:58 AM / IP Logged  
    If you want it to be real laud with lots of spl, back in 1995 I had a 1985 ss and I took out the back set put 2 18" rockfordfosgate punch ported enclosure. sounded very loud, but that if you want to give up the seat. other than that give a budget and how much room your willing to give up in your trunk
    slammedb5 
    Copper - Posts: 103
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: January 12, 2005 at 4:50 AM / IP Logged  
    US Amps is pretty pricey. 1 Fosgate P312 and 1 Kenwood 8101D (check the net for great prices on these not so expensive performers) should get you started, though keep in mind you will still need an an amp power/signal kit, which for a 1000 watt amp will surely require 4 guage, and a box.. In my opinion, if you have $200 now, save for the next 3 months, or however long it takes, and get GOOD equipment. Cheap stuff only costs more in the long run, so keep that in mind.
    wheelerdr 
    Copper - Posts: 337
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: January 12, 2005 at 5:30 AM / IP Logged  

slammedb5 is there something wrong with 1 fosgate p312 and 1 kenwood 811d, or were you suggesting this

uthinkuknoaudio 
    Silver - Posts: 760
    Silver spacespace
    Posted: January 12, 2005 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
    lol, audiobahn. That PHAT Surround and chrome really helps! Me and stevdart have hit around 200 db with all that chrome! I also put some tinfoil on my woofers and since it looked like chrome i hit around 203 db. Isn't that right stevdart?
    "I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
    jugador 
    Member - Posts: 9
    Member spacespace
    Posted: January 12, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
    yo most of these people on the borads think everyone and thier momma has butt loads of money to spend on equipment.  Not every one is trying to win at sound meets and competitions. yo if your budget $200 hundred then work with that. I would say audiobahn does kind of suck even though its cheap. Ive seen so many people blow them. for a reasonable priced speaker i would recomend Ma Audio woofers. yes people are gona say they suck but man for the price u cant go wrong. Ive probably put in about 15 to 20 Ma Audio subs in different cars and i have yet to get any that have blown on me.  my first set of Ma audio subs that i  got about 8 years ago did r still bumping strong. My cheapo BOSS amp that was pushing ended up frying after about 7 years but i went bought another BOSS amp for like $40 (supercheap) and boom they bump. Yea yea yea sure im not gona go win any comps but for my daily driver its cool. i mean you can go spend thousands of dollars on equipment and get a super system, but lets see how you feel when someone (SO VERY EASILY) breaks in your car  and takes everything you got. i mean come one you drive an 88 monte carlo, what is that like $400 yes four hundred dollar blue book value. Man when you post dont listen to most of the people on the board everyone thinks their some pro installer. those who start naming all this expensive equipment are the ones living in La La land where no ones broke apperently.
    It Can always be Done, The question is do you have the MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    esmith69 
    Gold - Posts: 1,511
    Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: January 12, 2005 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

Hey now, no need to rag on the guy.  Like Jugador says, not everyone is made of money.  Mcss1320, I think the important thing to remember here is that there have to be compromises.

Unless there's less than a hundred or so people in your town, you have to realize that $200 is not going to get you the loudest system.  It's just inevitable that there will be many other people out there who also want the loudest system but are willing to pay a more reasonable amount of money to get that loudest system.

So, back to my point about compromises.  If $200 is your budget, then you have to be content to have a loud (but not the loudest) system.  mtx is a good brand to shoot for, especially this time of the year when last year's models will soon go on clearance. I think that amp will do fine for what you want it to do, though I know others will disagree with me.

If your budget is higher than $200, then let us know and we can try to cook up some other choices for you.

Ethan
    -----
    "Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
    Donate to the12volt.com
    Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic