icon

newbie connector question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sh_wn 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to install a 700 watt inverter in my Jeep.
I am using 4awg cable and I just came across something that has me stumped.
I'm using connectors that are gold plated and barrel shaped. When I stick the wire in one end, it bumps up against a little nub in the middle. That's all good.
How do I crimp this monster to enable the wiring to stay inside?!?!?!? Am I supposed to crimp it? How much wire should be bare to insert it into the connector?
Oh yeah, there's a black rubber sleeve that fits over the connector too... I'm sure thats there for protection/insulation.
This is the first time I've used this heavy of wiring and I'm stumped.
Please enlighen me! Thanks!
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  

Almost everyone here believes you should soder you connection instead of crimping it, but when ever I have to crimp on a 4gauge wire I just use diagonal pliers and crimp it at like 2 or 3 spots to make sure the wire stays in there.  I used cable cutters once and it seamed easier as long as you don't cut trough it.  You have to slide on the rubber insullation on before you crimp it so you can slide it ontop the connection when crimped.  I put electrical tape over the insulation so that the little sleeve doesn't slide off later on.

I forgot what was the best method.  Was it to soder the wire and then put it into a high quality crip-on connection or was it to carefully tangle the wires together, soder them and put some heat shrink insullation on it.

Poly Dollies
sh_wn 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
These connectors are hard to crimp! I've tried everything I can think of the get them to crimp and they're not going!
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

I was thinking of bolt cutters not cable cutters. sorry. 

It is really easy to crimp them with bolt cutters.  I have a 16" pair form home depot that cost me about $20 which have come really handy.

Poly Dollies
sh_wn 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
ok, let me see if I can find a set of bolt cutters....
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

Quick easy affective and fun.....Get a hammer....Put the wire in the crimp...Lay it on something hard like concrete...Take the hammer and smash the hell out of it....Has always worked for me when I need to crimp 1/0 and 4Ga....After you get it mashed down good just give it a little tug to make sure its secured good......

Or if you have a battery terminal crimper (The one you place the wire and crimp inside and hit with hammer) works really good....

newbie connector question -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
Stripes26051 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  

def bolt cutters they work great

89 honda crx 1 15" Power HX2 jblbp1200.1 rockford coaxials 4 channel comin soon
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
And I thought that I was the only person that used a hammer to smash the hell out of a crimp on large wires! It does work very good.
'85 Toy
sexican 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
the hammer works really good if you have one lying around.  i have tried pliers but they didnt work at all.  Also a rubber mallot works pretty good just make sure the wire is in there tight enough, after that  just throw on the rubber sleeve and some electrical tape for back up.
leo
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

i take a #3 tipped phillips head screwdriver. stick the wire in the terminal..hit it lightly with a 5lb sledge. then take the screw driver on top of the terminal, and drive it in. I normally do it in 2 spots.. it works very well.and looks and holds better than beating the sh*t out of it with a hammer.

2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic