icon

Dual 4ohm to 4ohm load?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
twofootthumpin 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
    Two SWE-1241 Alpine Type E's in a box (dont worry about the box its covered) I have them powered by a KAC-7201 Kenwood 800 watt max (460Wrms) at four ohms. But where I run into a problem is at the present moment is, I have them bridged at 2 ohms which sucks at 460 watts max because its at 2 ohms, I need two 4 ohm subs bridged on a amp at 4 ohms..... somehow. So I need some help in doing so, does anyone know a reasonable way of doing this task?
Thank you.
P.S. No, I dont have enough money to buy anything new, so buying a new amp is out of the qeustion for right now. That is why I post the qeustion.
Yes, money is everything when it comes to a huge system.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
nope, u can wire it to 8 ohms, and u can wire it to 2 Ohms. The only other solution is to wire them to separate channels or (yeah I can read) get a 2 Ohm stable mono amp. BTW, ur amp doesn't go into protection mode when u bridge the subs into the amp at 2 ohms? thats weird because the specs for that amp show that its only a 4 Ohm stable mono which means it shouldn't be able to operate at 2 ohms mono. Well anyway, thats my input on ur situation, good luck.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
twofootthumpin 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
    For 2 ohm load, it is rated for it bridged, and is also rated for 2 ohm stable, says it on the box and in the manual. I haven't ever had a problem with it running hot nor blowing fuses do I believe them when they say its 2 ohm stable, it just doesnt run as high power as I would like it too.
twofootthumpin 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
   By the way I forgot to mention, Thank you for your help and for your worry about the safety of my system that is extremely kind of you.
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, it sounds like you do know what a 2 ohm load is when bridged as well as in stereo.  But just for the record, can you tell us how you have the subs connected to the amp.  You said it was bridged, and you said it was a 2 ohm load when bridged.  So you must have the two subs wired in parallel with each sub's positive connected together and each sub's negative connected together as well and then that combination bridged to the amp. 

Also you said it was a 460 watt RMS amp bridged into a 4 ohm load.  But right now you have a 2 ohm load bridged to this amp.  Then you should be getting a lot more than 460 watts RMS.  Close to double this amount. 

Now I'm not saying that this should sound good but why do you want to change this??  You cannot get anymore power from that amp by wiring any other way, and especially not by wiring to higher ohm loads(that would bring it down).  And you said that the amp is stable when bridged into 2 ohms and does not run hot so it should be doing fine.

But you also said that it does not run as high powered as you want it to.  What is it that makes you say this??  Are you hearing distortion and bad sound??

I'm afraid that without changing subs or amps(one or the other) then the only way for you to get a 4 ohm load bridged to this amp is to just use one sub only.  That will get you the 4 ohm load and only the 460 watts RMS, and may even sound better if the other set up is distorting badly. 

Post again to say what it is that makes you think you need to change your set up.

twofootthumpin 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
    Yes i do have them running on a parallel wireing path to the amp and bridged at the amp, yes both postive leads connected and both negitive leads connected and then ran to the amp to create a two ohm load.
    My problem with my wattage rating right now is that because it is not a mono nor a class D amp I figured I would read the owners manual and see all of what Kenwood had to offer for the amp, 800 watts maximum peak power (4 ohms bridged), but when ever it talks about any load at 2 ohms its always with two chanels never a mono nor a bridged output: Power Output at 2 Ohms, at 14.4V (1kHz, 0.8% THD): 230 Watts x 2; so I don't know what I should do to get the most power I possibly can out of my amp.
    It isn't that it doesn't sound good or it gets distorted, I was just wondering about what to do if I should go by the manual, try something of my own, but I just dont know how to get the most power at the best ohm rating for my amp considering my subs.
audeogod 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

but when ever it talks about any load at 2 ohms its always with two chanels never a mono nor a bridged output: Power Output at 2 Ohms, at 14.4V (1kHz, 0.8% THD): 230 Watts x 2

Twofoot, the owner's manual only talks about a 2 ohm load in stereo with two channels, and not in mono because the amp is not rated to handle a 2 ohm load when bridged.  The amp being wired for a 2 ohm load and bridged is exceeding it's capacity.  You said earlier that it was running cool and was rated to handle this, but what you posted above states that it shouldn't be used this way. 

I would run one sub per channel to protect the amp.  I am not there and cannot possibly know how cool the amp actually is running, nor if it is distorting or not, but I just wouldn't do what you are doing.

twofootthumpin 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
    Thank you for your help, I will switch it over to stereo channeled.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

I can't find a reference on Alpine SWE 1241 to verify that it is a DVC 4 ohm sub, so this is assuming that your post title is correct.  ( Two 4 ohm DVC's cannot equal a 2 ohm load.)   You have two 4 ohm DVC subs and a 2 channel amp.  You can connect the subs separately to the amp, a sub to each channel, like

Dual 4ohm to 4ohm load? -- posted image.

.....OR, you can connect the subs together first, and then connect to the amp bridged, like

Dual 4ohm to 4ohm load? -- posted image.

You'll notice the coils of the subs are wired differently from pic 1 to pic 2.  But the important thing to know is that either way you do it, the amp gets the same impedance load and puts out identical power .  Either way.

So how do you choose which way to do it?

Take the overall install into consideration...the subs share the same enclosure, and sub freqs do not need to be played in stereo.  Both of these points  go to the bridged way of thinking.  Also, there will be less speaker wires to hide, a point also going to the bridged argument.

In fact, there is no reasonable argument to connect the two subs in stereo.  So, quite naturally, I would bridge to the amp wired as shown in pic 2.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
audeogod 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think he ever said these were DVC subs.  I have no idea myself, I just went with what he said they were, which was 4 ohm subs.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic