the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Dual 4ohm to 4ohm load?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
The title says that. At least, that's the way "dual" is normally used... but I couldn't verify the subs because I couldn't find them at the Alpine site.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
twofootthumpin 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
The SWE-1241's are a SVC 4 ohm sub.
Yes, money is everything when it comes to a huge system.
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
I think what Xtreamcc and I thought was that when he said he needed two 4 ohm subs bridged on an amp at 4 ohms....somehow, that he just had two 4 ohm SVC's.
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, strike my testimony.
twofootthumpin 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
when I said dual I ment that I had two of them, First post said: I need two 4 ohm subs bridged on a amp at 4 ohms..... somehow.
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Well congrats, twofoot.  Your post made it to two pages long now.  Lotta interest.
twofootthumpin 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
    Ha ha ha   thank you, I really didnt plan on it but I guess I at least know that I have alot of people helping me.
stevdart 
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

So, new testimony.  My same argument above applies to this

Dual 4ohm to 4ohm load? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Same as 4 ohm stereo, neater install.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
twofootthumpin 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
    I dont understand how it is the same as 4 ohm stereo when it is bridged at 8 ohms? Wouldn't that create more of a problem than when I had it 2 ohm bridged and have even less power going to my subs? I understand the series part of the wireing I just don't know why I would do it in this case.
stevdart 
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

Bridging is the act of connecting two amplifiers.  A two channel amp is in fact two mono amps.  The load, when bridged, goes half to one amp and half to the other amp...so a 2 channel amp gets 4 ohm per channel in this case.  The reasons I would bridge instead of connecting each sub to a channel are listed in my first post:

Take the overall install into consideration...the subs share the same enclosure, and sub freqs do not need to be played in stereo.  Both of these points  go to the bridged way of thinking.  Also, there will be less speaker wires to hide, a point also going to the bridged argument.

Another reason that sometimes applies is that you will get a more impactful bass response if both subs are getting the same mono input, rather than one getting left and the other getting right signals.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic