icon

Dual 4ohm to 4ohm load?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
twofootthumpin 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
    Well thats kind of nifty, but are you sure that it will be ok for my amp?    Kenwood doesn't say anything about bridgeing the amp at a 8 ohm load, so I dont know if that is good for my amp or not.    Thank you for your help, I am not trying to be difficult I am just trying to figure out the best way of powering my subs with my amp so I am sorry if I seem to be picky about wireing changes.
Yes, money is everything when it comes to a huge system.
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

OK you said your amp was 230 x 2 at 2 ohms.  That's stereo.  At 4 ohms stereo, it will be 1/2 of that per channel.  It will be 115 watts x2 at 4 ohms.   

It should be 460 watts x 1 at 4 ohms.  If you show it an 8 ohm bridged mono load, then that is going to cut that 460 watts in half, for 230 watts total when bridged.  And each sub is only going to get 1/2 of that, for 115 watts per sub.  That's the same as it would have been in stereo.  But you have each sub getting the same exact signal instead of a right and left channel(cause they are different in some ways).  And you have a neater install with just one set of wires going back to the amp instead of two sets. 

Good call stevdart. 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

but are you sure that it will be ok for my amp? 

It's not typical to use higher ohm loads in car stereo, but the higher the ohm load the easier it is on the amp...but the lower the output.  The manual specs usually call for a load from 2 to 8 ohms per channel, but don't give details about every possible way  of connecting to your speakers.

Yours is just a situation where the subs you have are not ideally suited to be run with a two channel amp for full power capabilities.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
twofootthumpin 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
    Ok thank you very much.
Yes, money is everything when it comes to a huge system.
Bestbuy577 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

OK THEN....NOW THIS ISN'T REALLY THAT HARD!

You can hook up the speakers in series and just use a 2 ohm resistor(high wattage). You can always add resistance so you dont overheat your amp. And just incase you were wondering, you can buy resistors that will take a few thousand watts....i mean seriously...did this really have to take up 3 pages?!

Best Buy Store#577 Oxford Valley, PA
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Bestbuy, what the HELL are you talking about???? The resistance is already high enough, at 8 ohms, that he will be perfectly safe bridging the amp... EVEN IF he were to add a 2 ohm resistor to the circuit, with the speakers in parallel for 2 ohms, 2+2=4, bridged would be 2 ohms per channel. BUT you are blowing off HALF of the power the amp can make in the resistor, so the speakers are STILL getting the same amount of power as the series/bridged setup mentioned on this page already... BUT, you still paid for all the power! Yeah, I want you installing MY stereo...     NOT!!!!
Man, I have seen you post some wacky posts, but this takes the cake! Dude, PLEASE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, before you post. Misinformation can be dangerous, and the people that come here are looking for accurate info... You should look at this page - http://www.bcae1.com/ - study it, and KNOW it... Even some of the more seasoned members of this forum have learned a few things from it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Bestbuy577 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, im sorry fot having years of experience under my belt....i dont just read sh*t online...i have almost all REAL WORLD experience...im not one of those guys who just sits there all day and telling people what should work, or at least thats what the site/book says....websites arent always right...either are books....and i've also had some problem with metra mislableing their wires...so i do know what im talking about...and it doesnt use half the power of the amp...geeze...alot of big name brands do the same thing...like audiobahn for example
Best Buy Store#577 Oxford Valley, PA
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

Bestbuy577 wrote:
im not one of those guys who just sits there all day and telling people what should work,

Obviously your job is to decide how many pages a thread can take up.  Now you have evidently decided that this thread should be lengthened, when all was already said and done.  Good job, fella.  And that's some smart thinking about using resistors............(groans)

byrumjr 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

Two SWE-1241 Alpine Type E's in a box (dont worry about the box its covered) I have them powered by a KAC-7201 Kenwood 800 watt max (460Wrms) at four ohms. But where I run into a problem is at the present moment is, I have them bridged at 2 ohms which sucks at 460 watts max because its at 2 ohms, I need two 4 ohm subs bridged on a amp at 4 ohms..... somehow. So I need some help in doing so, does anyone know a reasonable way of doing this task?

Thank you.

All this is at 14.4 volts so you will get less than this.

The Kenwood KAC-7201 800 watt max pushes

»150 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

»230 watts x 2 at 2 ohms

» 460 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms

» stereo or bridged mono output

» 4-ohm stable in bridged mode

The Alpine SWE-1241 Type E's

» Impedance 4 ohms

»frequency response 26-1,000 Hz

»power range 50-200 watts RMS

»peak power handling 600 watts

First the amp is not 2ohms stable when bridged. For the 2 channel amp to be 2ohms stable when bridged it has to say ??? watts x 2 at 1 ohms. Bridging is running both the channels together. So when you bridge 2ohms and 2ohms you get 4 ohms. Some amps will work bridge @2ohms but it‘s not stable. Some times they get to hot and burn up. I have had my amp @2ohms bridged and I have not had any problems with it. The amp does not even get warm. Not to say every amp will work this way because I have fried a few in the past.

You have two 4ohms subs wired parallel, so the amp will see a 2ohms load. So the subs should be getting around 460 watts between them. 230 watts each sub although that is over the recommended RMS watts you should be ok. More subs blow from clipping than over powering them. So you should keep the amps gains less than ¾ and the head unit less than ¾ and you should be ok.

You have your amp doing all it can do and more than the manufacture

Recommends. You can’t get any more out of the amp. If it work @2ohms bridged and does not get hot run it that way.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
Bestbuy577 wrote:
Oh, im sorry fot having years of experience under my belt....i dont just read sh*t online...i have almost all REAL WORLD experience...im not one of those guys who just sits there all day and telling people what should work, or at least thats what the site/book says....websites arent always right...either are books....and i've also had some problem with metra mislableing their wires...so i do know what im talking about...and it doesnt use half the power of the amp...geeze...alot of big name brands do the same thing...like audiobahn for example
OK, I admit I was a bit hard on you, but I will not apologize for my statement. Whether you have years of "hands-on" or "REAL WORLD" experience or not, you are severly misinformed, or simply do not understand. I also am not one of those guys that just "sits there all day and telling people what should work". In addition to years of hands-on and real world experience, I also have years of training and experience from the US Navy. I am an MCSE, in both Windows NT and Windows 2000, I test software for companies around the company... No it is not all "book-learnin'." I am a network administrator for one of the largest dermatology practices in the country. You really should read my profile. See the who's who. My profile is the third one down. I honestly believe there is not ONE person on this board (who knows my history) would say I was wrong in saying what I said. I have been here long enough, and provided enough CORRECT information, that I feel completely justified in the statements made.
I agree that websites are not always right, but the BCAE website I linked for you in my post is pretty damn close, and it is recommended as a reference site countrywide (potentially worldwide). It is accurate information. That being said, I do need to ask you what kind of books you have read to warrant a statement like "books aren't always right". Every reference book I have ever read is always right, this is why it is called a reference book. Please tell me to what books you are referring.
Personally, I don't really give a damn about Metra mislabelling their wiring harnesses. A good installer would not use a harness. I connect actual wires to EVERY deck I install, and run directly to the speaker - even on a deck and four. Additionally, every connection is soldered, not crimp caps or butt connectors.
One last thing, and this is where your credibility really goes out the window... "and it doesnt use half the power of the amp...geeze...alot of big name brands do the same thing...like audiobahn for example". This tells me two things - 1. You know little about what good audio gear is - Audiobahn is one of the lowest rated manufacturer names on this board, and 2. - You know little or nothing about Ohm's law. I don't have the time OR the inclination to explain it all to you right now. Go read the website at BCAE, and when you understand a little more, come back and we'll discuss it again.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic