icon

DVC vs. SVC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sinistar 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
Probably a good newb type question, but curious what the sound/performance differences are of a single voice coil sub to a dual. I'm looking to get the older Eclipse and found a deal on the SW8102.4 SVC. Found the DVC as well, but a fair amount more. Whats the advantages/disadvantages of each?
twofootthumpin 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
   Well it is a good question in general, not just for a newb. I try and always go for a DVC over a SVC when ever possible, I like the extra wireing flexibility that I can get with a DVC over a SVC plus when you have more than one voice coil wraping around the throw pole you can normally put more wattage through it and and still have a cleaner sound. Of course unless you do buy the four ohm SVC series and have a four ohm amp or if you go with two and wire them to one amp you can parallel them down to two ohms, with a DVC you can parallel the two voice coils and run a two ohm amp with one. Like I said gives more flexibility with wiring with two, and in my own opinion I like normally the sound of DVC better than a SVC depending on brand and how long the voice coils are. By the way the alum series subs are great subs, a freind has three of them and it sounds great.
Yes, money is everything when it comes to a huge system.
Chopndroptx 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

Basically a with SVC you can run 2 bridged on a mono amp,if you have the space! If not, you can run 1 DVC,which will make the amp think it is 2 subs instead of 1!So it still gives out the power of running 2 subs.

Or another advantage it you can run mutiple DVC subs and wire it to think its only running 2. Say 4 DVC's will run like 2 SVC's wired in parallel.

Or if you amp will only take on SVC bridged,you can wire 2 DVC subs to make the amp think it is only running 1 SVC.

Simplist way i can explain it.There are alot of advantages and disadvantages.Here is a link to help better explian it!

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spkrmlti.htm

Chris- Kenwood KDC-MP522,2pr-INI 6000CS's,Alpine MRPF240,Viper D1200.1,2-Soundstream VGW-12's
98 Nissan Frontier Minitruck
Houston,TX
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
more wiring flex, more wattage,
sinistar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
THanks for the quick responses. I am planning on getting the Diamond Audio D51200.1. So I guess I better make a conrete decision before I make that move. The whole time I was planning on getting 2-10"DVC which I would wire for the 1200.1 to the 1 Ohm. But if I get the SVC aluminums I would probably end up getting the 600.2 instead which is also an option. I too have thought that a DVC sub sounds better, but could just be my preference since I have had DVC subs for the past 4-5 years. I have always liked the aluminums, but now that they've switched the design, its been hard to find new old-style ones with the DVC. Thanks again, and I'll do some more reading.
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  

Whatever you get you'd better be sure of the DVC's ohm ratings.  Some companies make them in all different sizes like dual 4 ohm, dual 2 ohm, or dual 3 ohm.  This will make a difference to the amp's power output.  Could make it hard to wire down to a low enough load without being too low.

You have to remember, two equal voice coils rated at the same ohm loads when wired in series or end to end, makes twice as much resistance.  Two equal voice coils of the same ohm rating wired in parallel equals a total that is only 1/2 of one of the voice coils alone(example -- 4 ohm and 4 ohm in parallel is 2 ohms total).

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

Chopndroptx wrote:
Basically a with SVC you can run 2 bridged on a mono amp,if you have the space! If not, you can run 1 DVC,which will make the amp think it is 2 subs instead of 1!So it still gives out the power of running 2 subs.

Just a quick correction here.  Mono amps can't be bridged.  There's only one channel.

Normally this language technicality wouldn't be a problem, but I don't want folks to think mono and 2 channel bridgable amplifiers work exactly the same way.

All but a very select few 2-channel amplifiers are NOT stable at less than 4-ohms bridged.  This is very important to remember when selecting amplifiers.  That D5 600.2 has a MINIMUM impedence of 4-ohms when bridged.  2-ohms is probably not stable.  1-ohm is _certainly_ not stable.  NONE of diamond's 2 channel amplifiers recommend less than a 4-ohm load bridged - even the D7 series.

Also, this 'making the amp think it is 2 subs instead of 1' business is confusing.  The amplifier never cares about the number of subs.  It cares about the final impedence load.  You could load a dozen woofers to the same amplifier.  It doesn't care as long as the impedence load is within its stable region.

Again, I'm not trying to be too picky here, but there are a lot of different subwoofer configurations.  DVC 2-ohm, 4, 6-ohm, 8, SVC 2-ohm, 4, 6, 8, and more.  To talk in terms of 'think 1 sub' confuses the issue and could cause someone else to get it wrong.

Edit:  audeogod beat me to some of this... good post. :-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
sinistar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
Right, got the parallel and series. So what I gather is that 2-10"DVC 4 ohm paralleled to 1 Ohm will run better than 2-10"SVC  4 Ohm paralleled to 2 Ohm bridged. I know the Eclipses are dual 4 Ohm or single 4 Ohm.  either way, the 1200.1 will work, just a question of running it harder with the SVC setup. Correct me if I'm wrong. Nothing is easy I tell ya, couldn't just find the DVC for the same price.
sinistar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

I stand corrected again then, the 1200.1 will not work because it is a mono amplifier?

Chopndroptx 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

Ok my bad! LOL

Should have been a little more specific i admit! But not knowing sinistars experence with Ohms and amps,i tried to make it as simple as i could. Which was actually for some reason harder for me.Im tierd!

Thanks for the corrections!

Chris- Kenwood KDC-MP522,2pr-INI 6000CS's,Alpine MRPF240,Viper D1200.1,2-Soundstream VGW-12's
98 Nissan Frontier Minitruck
Houston,TX
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic