the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

DVC vs. SVC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  

sinistar wrote:
I stand corrected again then, the 1200.1 will not work because it is a mono amplifier?

Exactly the opposite.  :-)

The 1200.1 WILL WORK because it is a mono 1-ohm stable amplifier.  The 600.2 WOULD NOT WORK at 1-ohm bridged as it is a 2-channel amplifier only stable at 4-ohms bridged.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Chopndroptx 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
That amp will run 1200 RMS @ 1 Ohm(i dont know at what voltage though,prob. 14.4v).That would be good for 2 DVC 4 Ohm Subs wired in parallel.
Chris- Kenwood KDC-MP522,2pr-INI 6000CS's,Alpine MRPF240,Viper D1200.1,2-Soundstream VGW-12's
98 Nissan Frontier Minitruck
Houston,TX
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
Yup!  That's what I was about to say when I clicked to reply.  But then I saw kfr01's post on page two.  This time, he beat me to it.
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  

sinistar wrote:
Right, got the parallel and series. So what I gather is that 2-10"DVC 4 ohm paralleled to 1 Ohm will run better than 2-10"SVC  4 Ohm paralleled to 2 Ohm bridged. I know the Eclipses are dual 4 Ohm or single 4 Ohm.  either way, the 1200.1 will work, just a question of running it harder with the SVC setup. Correct me if I'm wrong. Nothing is easy I tell ya, couldn't just find the DVC for the same price.

A few corrections:

1)  You should stop using the word "bridged" unless you're talking about bridging two channels of a multi-channel amplifier.  Drivers are not bridged.  It is incorrect to say so.

2)  There are two differences between running at 1-ohm and 2-ohms with that amplifier (and most amps).  First, you'll get almost double the power.  Unless you plan to compete, the difference between 600 watts and 1200 watts doesn't make much of a practical increase in SPL.  You gain 3db for each doubling in power.  3db is small to our ears.  10db is a doubling of volume and would take 6,000 watts.  Secondly, dropping to 1-ohm increases distortion.  This is a negative.  The amplifier actually runs "harder" at 1-ohm than 2.

So you see, 2-ohms isn't the end of the world if you aren't competing.  It may actually sound better.

audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

OH, one more thing.  Just because an amp is stable to really low impedances doesn't mean that you have to squeeze every drop of juice out of it.  I personally would prefer using an amp that delivers the amount of power you desire at a higher ohm load.  That way the amp runs cooler and will last a lot longer.  You can get 1200 watts into 1 ohm, but why when you might be able to have it at 2 or 4 ohms??  Then you can use subs that can be wired into 4 ohm total ohm load configurations like dual 4 ohm DVC's with coils on each sub in series(8 ohms) and then each sub in parallel for 4 ohms total. 

Only drawback here is that the cost would increase quite a bit. 

Chopndroptx 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
Also take in consideration the RMS wattage of each sub and the RMS your putting out total.Sometimes not enough power can do damage too! Just a thought!
Chris- Kenwood KDC-MP522,2pr-INI 6000CS's,Alpine MRPF240,Viper D1200.1,2-Soundstream VGW-12's
Houston,TX
sinistar 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  

I know under-powering will cause damage over time and am keeping that in mind when choosing my subs. I've got it now, the 1200.1 will work better at the 2 Ohm load, than the 1 Ohm load like audeogod said which is good. The SW8102.4's are on sale for $200 a piece and looks like a good way to go. Rated at 500W RMS. The new T1's are rated at 600W too which is an option for me and can readily get DVC with those, but probably a much less frequency range. Again, I appreciate all the help. I trust asking questions here compared to almost ANY stereo store as it is scary how little most know compared to what they think they know.

kfr01 
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  

Chopndroptx wrote:
Also take in consideration the RMS wattage of each sub and the RMS your putting out total.Sometimes not enough power can do damage too! Just a thought!

Actually that is totally wrong and quite bad misinformation to be spreading.  Low power cannot hurt speakers.  AGAIN... LOW POWER CANNOT HURT SPEAKERS.

In the approximate words of the author of the excellent site http://www.bcae1.com/ :  "underpowering doesn't harm speakers - idiots that clip amplifiers harm speakers."  I'd say it slightly more friendly than that, but you get the point.  CLIPPING harms speakers.  Low power does not.

In no situation will running a speaker below RMS harm the speaker if you are not clipping the amplifier. 

Again, not trying to pick on you, just making corrections so others aren't confused.  :-)

kfr01 
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

sinistar wrote:
I know under-powering will cause damage over time

Stop the madness.  This is simply wrong.

See my long post here on this issue:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=48102&PN=1

Chopndroptx 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  

So your telling me running a 1000w Rms quality sub with only a 100 watt amp is good for it?

Not trying to start anything,but doesnt sound correct to me.

Seems distortion would come into play,if you are not very exprienced and try to crank the amp all the way(not to mention people who ride with the bass all the way up and treble all the way down),which would cause distortion,which is not good for any speaker/sub.

Houston,TX
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic