the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

DVC vs. SVC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  

Chopndroptx wrote:
So your telling me running a 1000w Rms quality sub with only a 100 watt amp is good for it?  Not trying to start anything,but doesnt sound correct to me.

Seems distortion would come into play,if you are not very exprienced and try to crank the amp all the way(not to mention people who ride with the bass all the way up and treble all the way down),which would cause distortion,which is not good for any speaker/sub.

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

Here's the page.  Then remember to read my long post from that other topic.

Then I'll say, yes, that is what I'm telling you.  In fact, 10 watts to that sub wouldn't hurt it.  In fact, 10 watts to an Adire Brahma 15" will sound just fine if you never plan to listen past 95db or so.

Amplifiers don't introduce distortion at low volume levels.  Exactly the opposite.  More distortion is introduced the more power is output.

UNLESS some idiot is clipping the amp hard because didn't set his gains right, cranks the volume past where he should, or do that crap with the bass control. 

I assume most of the people on this board aren't idiots.  Clipping shouldn't be a problem.  If clipping isn't a problem then underpowering will NEVER harm a speaker.

I'm very right on this, btw.  ;-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Chopndroptx 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  

Agian not saying your wrong! Sure you could run 50 watts clean power all day and not have a problem.But what im trying to say is most people try to get more power out of a smaller amp which will cause distortion.Not even clipping.

If you have the power,you are less likely to try to over push certian levels of adjustment.

Just my opinion maybe!

Chris- Kenwood KDC-MP522,2pr-INI 6000CS's,Alpine MRPF240,Viper D1200.1,2-Soundstream VGW-12's
98 Nissan Frontier Minitruck
Houston,TX
Chopndroptx 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  

I assume most of the people on this board aren't idiots.  Clipping shouldn't be a problem.  If clipping isn't a problem then underpowering will NEVER harm a speaker.

They may not be idiots,some may be new to car audio,and not understand clipping and distortion though!

Chris- Kenwood KDC-MP522,2pr-INI 6000CS's,Alpine MRPF240,Viper D1200.1,2-Soundstream VGW-12's
Houston,TX
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  

I see your point and agree with your opinion.  People push power past where they should.  Ok, I'll buy that.  People do dumb things, most while trying to impress friends or girls DVC vs. SVC - Page 3 -- posted image..  I also agree that distortion is introduced quite fast pre-clipping if the user is pushing the amplifier past its rated limit.

Please see that I'm just trying to keep our newbie friends from believing things like what sinstar said, "I know under-powering will cause damage over time."

Instead of saying, 'under powering can hurt speakers too,' better and more accurate advice would be 'if you are a volume addict remember to match RMS ratings or you might push the amplifier too hard.'

I'm sure you'll agree, however, that the practical difference for daily listening between a 400 watt amp and a 1200 watt amp is really quite small.  If you push an amplifier to high levels of distortion on a 400w amplifier you're very likely to do the same on the 1200 watt amplifier.  There's only a 5db MAX SPL difference between the two!

Edit:  Also, thanks for batting this around with me.  Usually I make a long-winded post and then don't get a response.  I learn better too when I have someone to actively argue / discuss issues with me.  :-)   You'll make a good addition to this board!

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Chopndroptx 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  

Thank You! It was fun butting heads with you!

I deal with people that try getting more than what an amp is suppose do everyday.Its tricky to explain sometimes!

I do agree with you,i just wanted to get both sides out! So hopefully people will understand a little better.

Houston,TX
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

Can I jump in?  The "underpower" myth is one of my pet peeves and it does my old heart good to see the fine people of the forum defending the truth!  I have and do run 300+ watt RMS rated subwoofers on 100 watt amlifiers ALL DAY and yes, it is GOOD for the woofer and for the amplifier as they both sing along quite nicely without getting near any dangerous over-load conditions.  I say that unless you are competing (where all rules are out the window anyway) ALWAYS use less power that a loudspeaker's continuous rating if you want the system to last a long time!

Now, the original question on this thread had to do with performance differences between SVC and DVC woofers and the ever-present question of which is "better."  The truth is it makes absolutely NO difference.  Two woofers of the same type that are available as both SVC and as DVC will NOT perform differently from each other.  The reason for offering both is simple hook-up flexibility.  One should choose their amplifier and loudspeaker system together and match them for the desired performance.  Having multiple impedence ratings avaialble within a loudspeaker line simply makes it easier to match the loudspeakers to a wider array of amplifiers and to a wider array of uses.  That's it.

Support the12volt.com
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

So it's a marketing ploy more or less.  I should have seen it right off the bat.  So it's like, "Hey we don't have the exact kind of thing that would just hook straight up to that amp you got and be fine.......so we do got this other one over here that if you wire it this way instead of that way, it'll do the same thing.  BUT, it costs more cuz it's a DVC.".

That way, they can sell more stuff to more people without having to have a huge inventory.  Somewhere in there, I knew money was at the bottom of it all.  It always is.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

Well yes, marketing certainly is involved, but there are several legit reasons for offering both SVC and DVC woofers.  For example, using multiple drivers to build the proper loading for an amplifier, using stereo amps to drive a mono load, etc.

Marketing is the only reason for things like advertising peak power numbers instead of actual ratings, for advertising magnet weight (which means next to nothing) and using chrome-plated or odd-shaped baskets and magnet assemblies, for putting logos on woofer cones and making them red or blue or orange, for advertising sound pressure levels (i.e.: noise) instead of musicality, for hiding T/S parameters, for using plexiglass or neon lights in enclosures or multiple chrome plated ports, for purchasing old respected brand names like Phase Linear or Dual or for making up vaguely German-sounding brand names and slapping them on cheap flea-market level gear, etc. etc. etc.  Audio, like all things commercial, is split into two main camps: those manufacturers who genuinely care about sound and build quality and those who are only in it to make a buck.

Support the12volt.com
sinistar 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Nice debating, I like. I guess i should have elaborated as well. I myself many moons ago damaged the voice coils on a JL W4 by what I thought and was told "not having enough power" and pretty much cranking it on the CD player. I myself did not tune the amp or any of the system so I'm only guilty of trying to get the most boom out of a single twelve. Causing distortion and eventually damage that resulted in finding another speaker. The amp never did start clipping, only caused distortion. The Eclipse SVC I found seems to be the way to go. Dropping them down to a 2 Ohm load and pushing 600W isn't too bad. I'm glad this was a productive post and I got a ton of info out of it. It wasn't until the later posts that someone actually said that there is no difference in sound between a SVC and DVC sub. That means a lot considering for a DVC Eclipse it'll cost me another $150 for the pair, which I may or may not do to get to the 1 Ohm load. 3db difference isn't much, but I would like to know that I'm getting as much out of my system as possible. I gotta run, but this is has helped a ton.
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Well, like I said part of getting as much out of my system as possible to me means longetivity of my equipment's lifespan.  I like higher ohm loads.  Not up to 8 or anything, but 4 and occasionally 2 ohms. 
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic