icon

Best Buy Install, Viper 791

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kcjames215 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
I work for bestbuy also and MOST of our installers don't know what they were doing and don't know how to use a solder.   Everyone would go to the other store to have there stereos and alarms installed.  Like Javelin said "that doesn't mean everyone that works for the company doesn't know how to install. 
05 Nissan Altima 35SE
2 12" Solo's
Pioneer AVIC-N1
Chrome Z Grill
cerwinvega4 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
Kcjames215, what is YOUR job at Best Buy anyways? In your first post you stated, "The bestbuy installer in Colorado Springs crimp all and any connections made with remote start, alarms, and stereo. And they really don't know what they are doing."
You just now said you work at Best Buy, so im assuming your not an installer, unless you are one of the installers that "really doesnt know what they are doing."
Now, im really going out on a limb here, but bare with me......is it safe to assume your the "smart guy" on the sales floor SELLING the car audio, but you think you know everything about installing it?
On a side not, why would crimp caps be used on a remote start? Is it somehow faster to cut a wire in half, strip both sides down, then put a crimp cap on? Rather then slitting it open and sliding the wire inside and soldering it? Im really lost on that subject.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 4:11 AM / IP Logged  
I was kind wondering the same thing about the crimping but I then just assumed he ment t-taps, which were created by satin himself but that is covered in a different thread. For those who wondered or care I do not work for Best Buy directly but for Futureshop. We basically are Canada's version of best buy and about 4 years ago were bought by them. I have had to deal with the same generalizations that because I work at a big box store I am some punk kid who doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground and do nothing but sh*t work. Funny thing is I see far worse work come from some of the local "high end" shops. I am assuming it is due to them working on a commision based paycheck where the more cares they get done the more they get paid, where as I do not. I CHOSE to work at a big box retailer because I like knowing that the company I am working for is not gonna go anywhere any time soon, and if I wanna move I have the benifit of being able to transfer. Both those things made me take a pay cut to go work there, and to all the neigh sayers I just kinda laugh and turn my stereo up a couple more notches. I think the problem here is that if a local shop does bad work then two things happen, the shop gets a bad rep real quick and eventually they close. In the big box world if someone does bad work then their rep gets trashed and with the wonderful invention of the internet and other means of word of mouth, people start making generalizations like the one above and it just spreads like cancer. I am sick of being sh*t on for other people not doing their damn job. I am still trying to fix our rep in town because the installer who worked here 5 years ago was a hack in every sense of the word. But to anyone who has a problem or thinks big box stores cant do nice work, I emplore you to check out www.hzemall.com and check out some of the demo vehicles he did for various comanies like MTX and Rockford. Some of those vehicles were done while he worked at Future Shop. I am done with this little rant for now but if someone wants to get me going again just say so.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
I work for best buy, and I do not even think to use crimp caps or t taps, ALL of my connections a solodered, even though the radio harnesses are allowed to be crimped.  I agree some installers do not belong in the shop, but that is not the case for every installer.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
kcjames215 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  

cerwinvega4 wrote:
Kcjames215, what is YOUR job at Best Buy anyways? In your first post you stated, "The bestbuy installer in Colorado Springs crimp all and any connections made with remote start, alarms, and stereo. And they really don't know what they are doing."
You just now said you work at Best Buy, so im assuming your not an installer, unless you are one of the installers that "really doesnt know what they are doing."
Now, im really going out on a limb here, but bare with me......is it safe to assume your the "smart guy" on the sales floor SELLING the car audio, but you think you know everything about installing it?
On a side not, why would crimp caps be used on a remote start? Is it somehow faster to cut a wire in half, strip both sides down, then put a crimp cap on? Rather then slitting it open and sliding the wire inside and soldering it? Im really lost on that subject.

I'm not an installer, I'm a tech.  You are right to assume that I am a smart guy.  But first of all, I didn't say I know everything about installing.  But I do know piss ass work when I see it.  So don't all pissy because I'm calling out a certain bestbuy or certain installers.  Who knows you might be one of them.

05 Nissan Altima 35SE
2 12" Solo's
Pioneer AVIC-N1
Chrome Z Grill
kcjames215 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

cerwinvega4 wrote:

I'm not an installer, I'm a tech.  You are right to assume that I am a smart guy.  But first of all, I didn't say I know everything about installing.  But I do know piss ass work when I see it.  So don't all pissy because I'm calling out a certain a bestbuy or certain installers.  Who knows you might be one of them.

05 Nissan Altima 35SE
2 12" Solo's
Pioneer AVIC-N1
Chrome Z Grill
cerwinvega4 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you Kcjames for telling me your a tech, thats all i need to hear.
kcjames215 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
You know cerwinvega, you seem to think that I said all bby installers don't know what they are doing?  Reread my comments.  There are a few that can't and there are a few local shop that can't.  But I see you take it very personal (pissy) when someone talks the truth.  Just like some techs should be working on computers.  Since you can't handle that then this post is closed. 
05 Nissan Altima 35SE
2 12" Solo's
Pioneer AVIC-N1
Chrome Z Grill
cerwinvega4 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
By the way, pretty much all the tech's at the store i work are idiots that knew hardly anything about computers before they got their jobs. GENERALIZATION would tell us that more than likely you are one of those techs as well.
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
I worked at best buy for a while. Most of the techs are gaming nerds that don't know anything, but some do know what they are doing. But if you're someone who takes your computer to these people in the first place, then you should deserve to deal with there stupidity. As for the installers, most of them are more concerned with how much merchandise they can walk away with, rather than doing a decent job on cars. Car audio does attract some "hood rich" ghetto people, so what can you expect?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic