icon

First box, w/ pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jack@$$ 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, so after months of reading and learning, i finally found a candidate for some prac/app. My friend wanted a fg box built, and was willing to hire me to do it. I was going to wait till it was completely finished to post this, but i think it's close enough to done to post. the plan is to put a single 12" L7 in this mustang, where the rear seat used to be, firing towards the rear window, and the amp rack going where the rear seatback used to be.
so, here's the car:
First box, w/ pics -- posted image.
and here's where it'll mount down:
after getting a template on cardboard of the contours of the rear panels, we get our base cut:
four pieces of 5/8" mdf, lots of cutting, and lots of glue, got us our ring:
ring sanded, and mounted to the base with a 2x4 to support the stretching:
and all stretched and plugged:
first layer of glass. over the next couple days of working on this when i could, i came to the conclusion that weave is bad, mat is the shiz:
and after the 7th and final layer of glass:
then the real fun begins....SANDING!!:
one of the many things that i learned on this project, is that i really don't like hurricane nuts. my friend ordered them from parts express because of how much better than t-nuts they claimed to be, i didn't find them to be all that. when doing a mock up with the sub, four of the hurricane nuts came out with the bolts half on them, so the only way to get them off the bolts, was to cut a hole in the bottom to get my hand up there to hold them. luckily i read in the forum how to repair such a F-up:First box, w/ pics -- posted image.
couldn't find any rage gold, not that we looked for days or anything, so went with the bondo premiere. not bad stuff:
and after way more sanding:
which brings us to the current state, fresh primer, waiting for wetsand and paint:
and after that's done, wire it, and build the amprack. finished pics should be in by next week. hope you enjoy.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
First off phenomonal job for your first box man.  Thats incredible, and I cant wait to see the finished pics good job man.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
I agree that is a GREAT job for your first time. Be sure to keep us updated with pics..we like pics..First box, w/ pics -- posted image.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
spl-Hz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
Nice work BRO. Always love step by step photo's. Keep up the good work.
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Thats an awesome looking box.  Was it very hard.  Do you think anyone can do it with enough time and patience (and a lot of sanding).  I want to try to do a fiberglass sub-box.  How many hours do you have in it.  Anyway, nice job on the box.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
Jack@$$ 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
hey, it was my first time touching fiberglass, so it's definately possible for a begginer. i've been working on it for about a month and a half, however that's just doing little bits here and there when i had the time. i just advise doing your research and having the plan before you start. while i was in iraq this year, that was what i tried to do was get as much knowledge as possible so i could start it. but i've got a couple other orders lined up, and i'm figuring they'll just get easier with experience. total working time till now is probably at about 100 hrs or so.
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
looks great can't wait to see the finshed product in the car, working on my son's box some more this weekend and will post pics sunday night. keep up the great work. fiberglassing is not as hard as it looks...just take your time.
All Bleeding stops.....eventually!
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Once again some nice a$$ work...it's good to see more and more new people are tryin out the whole glass thing.  Very much worth the time and effort once you see the finished product. 
One hint for you though...kinda good that you used a MDF base.  Try doing a search on cabosil or aerosil on here.  Saves a lot of time instead of applying multpile layers of glass on the outside.  Basically its a resin filler.  Powdery substance you mix up with resin & hardener and makes a paste/gel type of texture.  You can you this to stiffen up the enclosure from the inside.  You basically, cut a big enough hole in the base, mix up your mixture of resin/cabosil/hardener & pour it into the enclosure.  Spread it around, make sure you get in those corners.  This stuff hardens up and forms a nice barrier that wont flex.  Try to achieve at least 1/2 inch thickness. 
But like I said, do a search, you will find a lot.  I think I may still have a post floating around where I did this with an all fiberglass enclosure for my old Accord.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
Jack@$$ 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
i have read up on the cabosil/aerosil, unfortunately i read about after a couple layers were already layed. did end up getting some q-cells though, same product basically. and yes, they were awesome to work with.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
How do the q-cells work i've seen them before but didnt really know what they were used for??
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic