icon

First box, w/ pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jack@$$ 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
q-cells are a thickening additive for resin, that basically makes a nice peanut butter that you can use for filler, and can even apply it in a vertical spot. sands like a dream. here's the link.
Jack@$$ 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
ok, here's another pic to hold you over till the final pics are in. it took awhile, because we had it painted, but had to strip it and go through primer and paint again. clear coat ate the paint. but, we're back to having a sexy box. more pics in a couple days of the whole project done.
First box, w/ pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Looking awesome man, excellent job!  Hey dont feel bad about the clear coat thing I built my little brother a gauge pod for his mustang.  The exact same thing happened to us, I think it was just the type of paint we had.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Jack@$$ 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
yes, aparently lacquer and enamel are not good friends. guess i should have read a little bit more huh. oh well, the owner got to play with the q cells some more last night fabricating the console. love that stuff.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
what did you use the q-cells for again?
Jack@$$ 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
ok, the q-cells, are a super duper ultra turbo fine powder (fumed cilica), that you mix with your regular poly resin, and after mixing it, you let it sit for a few minutes, and then add the MEKP according to how many original ounces of resin you started with. then you have what i like to call peanut butter. then you spread it around and use it to fill crevaces, or it can be used to do serious buildups. right now we're using it reconstruct a console. the undesired portion was cut out, fiberglass was stretched across the opening, then it was filled with peanut butter. then we took an iced tea bottle, wrapped it with foil, then a layer of weave. after it was dried, we pulled it off, and now we have what will be the base of the new cup holder. more pics to follow after tonight, lots to be done tonight. but here's the q-cells on the console.
First box, w/ pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
and the cup holderFirst box, w/ pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
Jack@$$ 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
AND THE BOX IS FINISHED!!!! bout time, but it's done. still working on the panels, more pics of those whenever we get them done. First box, w/ pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
and anotherFirst box, w/ pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
one more.First box, w/ pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
all you seasoned vets, let me know what you think... everyone else too of course.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah my bad man I didnt make myself clear.  I understood what they were I was asking what piece you used it on because I didnt see it on your box.  I may just be missing it though.  But now I see the pic you posted of the console. 

Good job mate on the box, looks like the amp rack is coming along nicely also.   Good job man keep them coming.

doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
most excelent!!
All Bleeding stops.....eventually!
burton6363 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
that is amazing work...     i am at this time extremely aggrivated with big name install shops..(a&b sound)    and am interested in starting my own fiberglass box.  Only for two 10's,   but hey   i still want the trunk space and the ability to actually take out the spare tire. im looking for a good fiberglass research site but all i find are advertisments. i would be thankful for advice from anyone.  again... great job   doesn't look like the work of a beginner.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic