icon

Permanent VATS Bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Bizmarker 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking to install a remote starter in my 1996 Chevrolet with a VATS system.
Since it's an older vehicle and I have no concerns about someone stealing it, is there any reason why I can't splice a resistor(of the correct value) into the wiring between the key cylinder and the VATS module??
I would then switch to keys without the resistor pill.
Thanks in advance,
Biz
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
"Since it's an older vehicle and I have no concerns about someone stealing it, is there any reason why I can't splice a resistor(of the correct value) into the wiring between the key cylinder and the VATS module?? "
None. Before you do that copy yourself a blank key and try to start the car first and see if it will start. Might save yourself some work if the VATS system has already fail. I am just saying this because it's a 96. I've been able to start the car without the pill. Anyways, just a thought.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Permanent VATS Bypass -- posted image.
fbird08 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
I would not recomend not doing anything if the VATS system has failed. There was one car that one of the installers (a little bit of a hack but anyways) at my shop  was working on and he found that the vats system had failed. He started to do the bypass (cut the wire), went to lunch then finished the remote starter, completly forgetting that he didnt finish the bypass then remote started it.  The car started up no problem so he didnt bother with the resistor or any sort of bypass and the thing worked fine.....for a few days.  We got a call from the customer a week later complaining that the car wouldnt remote start and it wouldnt start from the key. The car was towed to the shop and it turns out the VATS system kicked back in somehow and since the vats wire was cut it wouldnt start from the key or rs. YAY. Moral of the story....not a good idea to take short cuts. But to answer your original question, if you are not concerned about losing the security of a chiped key then the resistor is the way to go.
Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
But your word is everything,
If your word means nothing,
You are nothing...think about it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic