icon

I wanna get schooled

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys. I was wondering if you guys could give some tips on going through with this. I want to get my MECP, and start my car audio career before I am old and grey. So, where do I start? I have looked online, and I saw that I can take the test itself. I'd need a study book, and I can take the test for 50 bucks. Or I can attend a school for an absurd amount of money to relearn half the things I already know. What did you pro's out there do? Which route did you all take? In time, i'm hoping to open up my own car audio shop, so any and all advice is apppreciated. TIA.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
bump
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
How are you doing in high school?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
i'm not in high school. i'm in the workin world now. why do u ask?
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about that - got you confused with pimpincavy. Can't keep you pimps staight. I wanna get schooled -- posted image.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
haha, ya, its a rough business out there. lol. Since u brought it up, what point were u gonna make with the grades?
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
kfr01 
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, I wasn't going to make a point, per se.
I just asked because I feel that some sort of post-secondary education is always valuable and was going to suggest it - especially if you're considering a store.
While certainly not necessary, I'm confident there'd be value to the endeavor.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

I have no post secondary education at all and have done great in my 17 years in this business. Some people have the knck and others do not. My advice is get the MECP study guide, research it, take the test and get your Certificate. Keep the dollars in your pocket and do not go to the school unless it is absolutely crucial. If you want your own store, no business degree in the world will tell you about real world conditions in this industry. The one thing that you can do in the hopes of having your own store, is to pay attention at the one that hires you and always always, do what you are told. There are reasons for it that the owner should not have to expain to you. One day as an owner, you may understand these decisions.

PS I have a store for sale and cheap. Maybe even two.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
Make no mistake - I was certainly not saying a post-secondary education is necessary. Some of the most successful individuals I know have none.
I was simply asserting that I feel more education can always add value. While no business degree in the world will tell someone the real world conditions in the industry, I am confident more education can add value to most aspects of a business (understanding the financials, ability to secure capital, analyzing the market, creating the business plan, executing the business plan, etc.)
Again - not saying it is necessary - just saying that education adds value. (especially for a young person). Options also increase with education, should the business venture fail. Options are always good, in my opinion.
Rob, you've owned multiple stores and been in business 17 years. You've crushed just about every statistic there is regarding small business success rates. I can confidently say your abilities are near the very top percentile of small business owners. Congratulations. Seriously. I have nothing but the deepest respect for entrepreneurs such as yourself. My suggestion regarding education was most certainly not meant to be disrespectful to business owners like you.
I simply think education is always valuable, especially for young people.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks dude. I'm not jumping on the school is a bad thing bandwagon at all, for some people it is a must, for other like me, hands on is the way to go.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic